Visa options

Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:52 am
Just Joined

adzee1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa options

Hi I was wondering if someone could give me some advice about the best visa to apply for and what my chances are as i have read through many documents and am still no clearer as to my options.

Basically I have a BA in Tourism and Business Management and I have a TEFL Certificate to teach English. I have 3 years experience as a teacher in Mexico and South Korea and I have 4 years recruitment experience in the UK.

I am married and my wife is Mexican and she has a BA(Hons) in Nutrition and speaks good English and her first language in Spanish.

My sister also is a permanent resident in Australia.

Basically I need to know... Can I teach in Australia with just a TEFL ? and possibly study a formal Aussie teaching qualification at the same time ?

Should I use my recruitment experience to try and work in that area ? Or should i try and use my sister as a sponsor and get a family visa ?

Also if i get a visa will my wife qualify for one ? She is 25 and has a BA Hons from Mexico.

Any help much appreciated
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa options

Start here. Read everything about Immigration. Then go here and see if you entitled to apply for a visa.

If you then find you are entitled to apply, download the relevant booklet, read it several dozen times and go from there.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adzee1
Hi I was wondering if someone could give me some advice about the best visa to apply for and what my chances are as i have read through many documents and am still no clearer as to my options.

Basically I have a BA in Tourism and Business Management and I have a TEFL Certificate to teach English. I have 3 years experience as a teacher in Mexico and South Korea and I have 4 years recruitment experience in the UK.

I am married and my wife is Mexican and she has a BA(Hons) in Nutrition and speaks good English and her first language in Spanish.

My sister also is a permanent resident in Australia.

Basically I need to know... Can I teach in Australia with just a TEFL ? and possibly study a formal Aussie teaching qualification at the same time ?

Should I use my recruitment experience to try and work in that area ? Or should i try and use my sister as a sponsor and get a family visa ?

Also if i get a visa will my wife qualify for one ? She is 25 and has a BA Hons from Mexico.

Any help much appreciated
I did not read that and feel hopeful for you I am afraid to say.

Firstly family visa is out unless your sister is your last living relative in the world and your wife has no living relatives either. In the unlikely event that neither you nor wife have any other living relatives, then you might qualify for a last remaining relative visa but the bad news is there is a 15 year wait for it.

So that takes me to skilled migrant visas. You can't get this visa on the strength of a degree or an occupation you worked in in the past. The important point is what have you worked in recently? i.e. in the last two years. That is the only occupation you would be able to get a skilled migrant visa on and I am not clear which is your current occupation, so you need to see if current / recent occupation is on the skilled occupation list first of all.

If you qualify for the skilled migrant visa your wife can be added to the application and vice versa.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 25th 2012 at 8:33 am.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I did not read that and feel hopeful for you I am afraid to say.

Firstly family visa is out unless your sister is your last living relative in the world and your wife has no living relatives either. In the unlikely event that neither you nor wife have any other living relatives, then you might qualify for a last remaining relative visa but the bad news is there is a 15 year wait for it.

So that takes me to skilled migrant visas. You can't get this visa on the strength of a degree or an occupation you worked in in the past. The important point is what have you worked in recently? i.e. in the last two years. That is the only occupation you would be able to get a skilled migrant visa on and I am not clear which is your current occupation, so you need to see if current / recent occupation is on the skilled occupation list first of all.

If you qualify for the skilled migrant visa your wife can be added to the application and vice versa.
Hi, Yes sorry if i wasnt clear in my first message.

I have been working as a teacher for the last 3 years, which will be closer to 4 when i want to come to Aus.
The thing is I am not certified in the UK, I got a TEFL in Mexico and then taught in a billingual college in Mexico and I am now teaching in South Korea.
I guess my question is what requirements do I need to satisfy in order to qualify as a teacher in Australia ? Is the TEFL and the international work experience sufficiant or do I need a UK qualification ?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:45 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You may well qualify as a TESOL/TEFL teacher but not a primary/secondary teacher. Is this on the SOL? if it is it will list details of the board that are responsible for your assessment and their webpage will list the required qualifications.

If not, your wife may be on the list as a nutritionist, best to have a look at the SOL.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
You may well qualify as a TESOL/TEFL teacher but not a primary/secondary teacher. Is this on the SOL? if it is it will list details of the board that are responsible for your assessment and their webpage will list the required qualifications.

If not, your wife may be on the list as a nutritionist, best to have a look at the SOL.
Yes I had a look and TEFL teacher is on there but it is on Schedule 2 which states relevant only for GSM applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory government agency under a State Migration Plan.

Could someone please tell me exactly what this means ? Do I basically need to secure a job before coming and have the company sponsor me ?

Also even though I am only qualified as a TEFL teacher I have actually been working as a Primary/ Secondary teacher in the schools in Mexico where I taught all subjects not just English. I have reference letters to prove this but I am suspecting it will not be enough to satisfy the requirements.

Last edited by adzee1; Jan 26th 2012 at 2:58 am.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:40 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Schedule 2 means that you require State Sponsorship. You'll need to look at each of the State and Territory websites to see if any of them are looking for TEFL teachers. They may or may not be.

You would need a BEd or a degree plus PGCE to qualify as a teacher regardless of experience.

Good luck.

PS. Maybe contact some English Language schools to see if they're hiring they might offer sponsorship?!!

Don't discount your wife's chances, I think I saw nutritionist on Schedule 1 a while ago but I haven't checked.