Wikiposts

VISA Nightmare

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

oliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to all
Default Re: VISA Nightmare

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Most businesses today have recognized that communication is the key to success. If people cannot communicate effectively internaly and externally then they cannot make a difference and they lose out to competitors who can.

Whilst I understand you are upset, you need to see this from a potential employers perspective rather than your own. Take the emotion out of this and strive to meet their requirements and you will be successful

Good luck
Thank you so much for your post "sonlymewalter". Your words are encouraging and yes I do agree with your point of you. Thanks again.

Last edited by oliman; Apr 2nd 2010 at 11:27 am. Reason: spelling correction
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by oliman
FYI, the IT job role has minimum level of client interaction involved and mostly you have to deal with the computers, programming languages, network configuration etc, and that is why 6 band in all is also acceptable by DIAC for IT guys.

But guess what! you have to score "7 in all" anyways to get required points, which is generally needed in profession like doctors, accountants etc where high level of interaction with other people is involved.

Don't you feel some contradiction/clash in here?
IT is a people trade, u need to be able to interact with all levels of the business and you need to be able to write docs for all levels.

Ive been in IT for since completing my degree in computer science, each role i have done, had close interaction with other parts of the business. Even when i was programmer, i still had to discuss test plans with the testers, and speak to designers and BA
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As DIAC has revoked MODL on 8th Feb without any prior notice, many of us are depending on getting 7 band in all modules of IELTS.

Although 6 band in each module is acceptable, yet it does not allow people like me to score 120 points. In reality, 6 in all is not acceptable, and the only option is to get 7 band in all within one IELTS attempt. What kind of stupidity is that?

I have attempted IELTS for 4 times now. In my last attempt I scored 7+ in all modules except in the reading module which was 6.5. I am really pissed off now with DIAC point system.

I even applied for Victoria state sponsorship. The refused my application after one month stating that my experience and skill does not match the current need. On the other hand, I saw many other individuals getting sponsorship even that they were having same skill set as me yet they had lesser experience. I doubt the sponsorship process of the states!

I am kind of losing my interest in moving into a state where entry criteria is illogical.

Thats all. I don't feel like saying anything else.
How is it stupid or illogical for an english speaking country/state to expect that their residents speak english to a high degree? How do you plan to function if you don't have a high degree of skill in the language of the country? I certainly would not emigrate to India not knowing how to communicate proficiently in the local language; why would you expect to come here and not know the language?
Originally Posted by r_1159
this is really redeculous how they play with peoples life. Shame on australi's gov
This is a perfect example of why IELTS is needed. And why so many don't get the required levels.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

oliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How is it stupid or illogical for an english speaking country/state to expect that their residents speak english to a high degree?
If high degree of English is considered to be important, then why is there the acceptable option of "competent English" while it does not fulfill you the points to immigrate?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

If high degree of English is considered to be important, then why is there the acceptable option of "competent English" while it does not fulfill you the points to immigrate?
Why not just redo the test until you pass? I scored 6.5 and instead of whining I just bought the books and practised, and scored 8.5.

You should be asking what or where you are going wrong with your IELTS test (and you may get some help from many who have sat the test and passed), venting your frustration here is not helpful, and I doubt it makes a difference.

Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

nimtiaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JOE2010
Why not just redo the test until you pass? I scored 6.5 and instead of whining I just bought the books and practised, and scored 8.5.

You should be asking what or where you are going wrong with your IELTS test (and you may get some help from many who have sat the test and passed), venting your frustration here is not helpful, and I doubt it makes a difference.

Good luck.
I do agree with JOE2010. U can increase ur reading score (even can get 9 easily) without increasing ur english proficiency level at all by mastering two techniques i.e. skimming and scanning and learning few tips and tricks.
Best of luck.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think you could learn from Joe, who just got on with improving his English. So many native English speakers have to do IELTS these days too, those that are accountants like myself and also those that are short on points. This probably isn't entirely logical, but we just get on with it because it is one of those hoops we have to jump through.

In the case of a non native English speaker, why not see it as an opportunity to improve your English. It will only benefit you once you are in Australia, there is no "if" about whether it is important to speak good, read and write good english or not.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:27 am
Shafaqat Ali

shafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by freebo
I'm well aware of what an IT job entails, I've worked in technical IT for 24 years, I've been a developer too.

Employers seem to want "communication skills", and they can choose who they employ.

I put .net into seek and got...

" * Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills - able to work within a team"

"Strong communication skills, team player, confidence in your ability to perform at a high standard, and an outstanding attitude would be the icing on the cake"

"Good communication skills "

out of the first 5 matches.
He has good score (7+) in Speaking, Listening and Writing which are commonly used for client interaction in verbal and written commutation, 7 in 4 band is simply unfair. Look at ACT they have adjusted IELTS level according to their need, min 6 but 7 in speaking, seems quite reasonable. So don't you think they have clients to communicate?

Last edited by shafaqat309; Apr 3rd 2010 at 2:37 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think you could learn from Joe, who just got on with improving his English. So many native English speakers have to do IELTS these days too, those that are accountants like myself and also those that are short on points. This probably isn't entirely logical, but we just get on with it because it is one of those hoops we have to jump through.

In the case of a non native English speaker, why not see it as an opportunity to improve your English. It will only benefit you once you are in Australia, there is no "if" about whether it is important to speak good, read and write good english or not.
It is undoubtedly true that English language proficiency is very important in an english speaking country like Australia. But, getting less scores in IELTS objective sub-tests (reading & listening) do not necessarily mean that someone has less english ability. It depends mostly on practicing enough with applying proper techniques which is not always possible. And also the hardness level is practically different among IELTS sub-tests. Even the psycho-physical condition at the test date may have some impact on the scores. So, from my view point, there should be seperate scores for four different sub-tests as per generalized hardness levels of the sub-tests.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:12 am
Shafaqat Ali

shafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nimtiaz
It is undoubtedly true that English language proficiency is very important in an english speaking country like Australia. But, getting less scores in IELTS objective sub-tests (reading & listening) do not necessarily mean that someone has less english ability. It depends mostly on practicing enough with applying proper techniques which is not always possible. And also the hardness level is practically different among IELTS sub-tests. Even the psycho-physical condition at the test date may have some impact on the scores. So, from my view point, there should be seperate scores for four different sub-tests as per generalized hardness levels of the sub-tests.
Agree.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

hamidgamal is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrote the IELTS test last month to get higher score to get higher priority as accountant ,my agent who is Australian advised me to rewrite it because he believed that my English is very good and he said that previous looks funny for him ,however my second result the same as before . i achieved 7 in both listening and speaking ,5.5 in reading and 5 in writing .that result was big disappointment for me because i felt that i have done great this time ,even i told everyone that i was confident that i will achieve more than 7 .really i don't what went wrong in reading and writing after 2 months of practices get the same result .i have to rewrite the test again on 08/05/2010 hopefully getting higher score to finish up this stress ,it was almost a year since i stared the processing to migrate to Australia as account as i have a bachelor degree in accounting ,any way if i don't get a better result i will not think about Australia ,and i will migrate to Uk as highly skilled migrant after the recent change.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hamidgamal
I wrote the IELTS test last month to get higher score to get higher priority as accountant ,my agent who is Australian advised me to rewrite it because he believed that my English is very good and he said that previous looks funny for him ,however my second result the same as before . i achieved 7 in both listening and speaking ,5.5 in reading and 5 in writing .that result was big disappointment for me because i felt that i have done great this time ,even i told everyone that i was confident that i will achieve more than 7 .really i don't what went wrong in reading and writing after 2 months of practices get the same result .i have to rewrite the test again on 08/05/2010 hopefully getting higher score to finish up this stress ,it was almost a year since i stared the processing to migrate to Australia as account as i have a bachelor degree in accounting ,any way if i don't get a better result i will not think about Australia ,and i will migrate to Uk as highly skilled migrant after the recent change.
Don't loose your confidence level, bcoz it is necessary to get ur desired score. But, it would be better if u can admit that u're not doing up to the mark as per the test requirements.
It's not uncommon that somebody is getting 5.5 while expecting 8+ in the reading sub-test of the GT module just because of making silly mistakes (Academic module is a different story). For writing tasks, u should evaluate ur performance from examinars point of view. Though it's a subjective test, the IELTS authority tried to make it objective as much as possible to avoide evaluation variation among examiners. So, there are sub-sections for marking and u should be well aware of that. Above all, u must write clearly and precisely with making no silly mistakes.
U need a lot of practice by following proper guidelines which will eventually make u truly confident b4 attempting the test again.
Best of luck with ur IELTS.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nimtiaz
Don't loose your confidence level, bcoz it is necessary to get ur desired score. But, it would be better if u can admit that u're not doing up to the mark as per the test requirements.
It's not uncommon that somebody is getting 5.5 while expecting 8+ in the reading sub-test of the GT module just because of making silly mistakes (Academic module is a different story). For writing tasks, u should evaluate ur performance from examinars point of view. Though it's a subjective test, the IELTS authority tried to make it objective as much as possible to avoide evaluation variation among examiners. So, there are sub-sections for marking and u should be well aware of that. Above all, u must write clearly and precisely with making no silly mistakes.
U need a lot of practice by following proper guidelines which will eventually make u truly confident b4 attempting the test again.
Best of luck with ur IELTS.
Lose, not loose
Because, not bcoz
Your, not ur
You, not u
Before, not b4

Australia is an English speaking country. I'm not sure whether there is a country where text speak is an official language, but for sure it's not Australia. May as well get used to speaking/writing correctly now.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

hamidgamal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for you reply ,would you tell how can i follow proper guidelines to prepare for the exam ? ,and which books u can advise me to improve my writing and reading ?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hamidgamal
I am afraid to say that there is a fair bit of room for improvement with your writing, sentence structure and punctuation. If you would like to know how you could make some immediate improvements let me know. I am not going to volunteer it as some people on here take great offence at being offered advice and I do not know if you would or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.