Wikiposts

Visa label

Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:07 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Visa label

I've read conflicting things about this so would like to try and clarify.

When (if) the Ozzie visa is granted, is it necessary to have labels (visas) put into our passports or can we travel to Oz with just our passports and letter of visa grant?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa label

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I've read conflicting things about this so would like to try and clarify.

When (if) the Ozzie visa is granted, is it necessary to have labels (visas) put into our passports or can we travel to Oz with just our passports and letter of visa grant?
Depends on what type of visa.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:15 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Permanent, employer sponsored?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:02 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Permanent, employer sponsored?
No its not essential.
Originally Posted by Dorothy
I dont think it even depends on which type of visa AFAIK ALL Australian visas are computer based, the sticker is for humans but the computer scan of your passport means you either get in or you dont. The airline will check you via Advanced Passenger Screening before they issue you with a boarding pass, nothing to do with the sticker.

Last edited by ex_exile; Oct 28th 2007 at 6:33 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:34 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Just in case anyone else had a similar query, we DO have to have the label inside our passports before we travel. Stipulates it in our visa grant letter and we also confirmed it with DIAC.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
No its not essential.
I dont think it even depends on which type of visa AFAIK ALL Australian visas are computer based, the sticker is for humans but the computer scan of your passport means you either get in or you dont. The airline will check you via Advanced Passenger Screening before they issue you with a boarding pass, nothing to do with the sticker.
This isn't correct - all permanent visas still require a visa label. DIAC vision is to remove the need for visa labels, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:26 pm

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
This isn't correct - all permanent visas still require a visa label. DIAC vision is to remove the need for visa labels, but that hasn't happened yet.
Hi JAJ

Not going to take up a lot of your time arguing this point but looking back at my grant letter it advises that a visa label should be placed in the passport otherwise it may lead to delays at passport control but does not say that it is essential that the visa sticker be placed in the passport.

The APP system which contains details of all non citizens immigration status is obviously not a visual check and it is this that gives the "OK to board" or " Do not board" directive to airlines and cruise ships.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Hi JAJ

Not going to take up a lot of your time arguing this point but looking back at my grant letter it advises that a visa label should be placed in the passport otherwise it may lead to delays at passport control but does not say that it is essential that the visa sticker be placed in the passport.
I can't really comment on where DIAC are in the process of removing the need for visa labels on permanent visas. However you are taking a serious risk. Up to the point where their visa grant letters are changed to say you do not need a visa label before getting to Australia.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:32 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Visa labels are technically optional for skilled visas, even though most case officers will make mention of the need for evidencing in the visa grant letter.

Best regards.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Visa labels are technically optional for skilled visas, even though most case officers will make mention of the need for evidencing in the visa grant letter.
Alan
So considering the risk of passports being lost/stolen en-route to London (happened a lot a couple of years ago) do you recommend having it evidenced in advance of travelling or not?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:51 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If the grant letter indicates a need for a visa label I would recommend having one in the passport before travel.

I will though take up this issue with the ASPC, as I think it is perhaps time for the Department to re-think the content of grant letters on the question of the need for evidencing.

Best regards.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 3:08 pm
Migration Agent

PS. For those who are interested, this is what the Migration Regulations say about visa evidencing:

"136.7 Way of giving evidence

No evidence need be given.

If evidence is given, to be given by a label affixed to a valid passport."

This is the wording for subclass 136. The same appears for the other offshore skilled visas, including the new skilled subclasses (175, etc).
Old Nov 30th 2007, 3:58 pm

PS. For those who are interested, this is what the Migration Regulations say about visa evidencing:

This is the wording for subclass 136. The same appears for the other offshore skilled visas, including the new skilled subclasses (175, etc).
Thanks for the actual regulation Alan

So to put this to bed once and for all it is NOT a requirement to have the visa label affixed in your passport before travelling to Australia, BUT for various reasons it is a highly recommended step.

Taking JAJ's point about a Passport being lost I presume he means that you should keep a copy of your visa label and the identification page with you when travelling in case the worst happens, which is wise advice, I always do this.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:08 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

Does this apply to sponsored visas?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:09 pm
Migration Agent

What type of sponsored visa? What subclass number?

Best regards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.