Which Visa is best?

Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:32 am
Just Joined

martiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Which Visa is best?

Hello,

This is my first post so bear with me if it doesn't make much sense (doesn't help that I’m on my 7th nightshift in a row!).

I am a UK registered mental health nurse who plans on moving to Queensland in April 2015. I have been qualified for over 5 years, and worked within Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Older People. I have been looking into which Visa I should get, however finding it all a bit confusing.

My aim is to go to Australia initially for a minimum of two years to work; mainly to get a feel for the place and to see if it suits me and my partner. If it turns out to be a positive move then I would plan on staying on a permanent basis. Does anyone have any idea which Visa would be most appropriate in the first instance? I understand that some Holiday Working Visas only allow you to work with a specific company for 6 months, and I would prefer to be based within the same place for the two years.

I am aware that I need to register with AHRPA before I can practice and I’m in the process of collecting the vast amount of documentation which they ask for.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, including any words of wisdom.

Thanks,
Martin
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Visa is best?

It is not always possible to try it out for two years before committing to a permanent visa. The WHV is only for one year, you would need to go and do some regional work for three months to get the second year. Also, as you have noted, you can only stay with each employer for 6 months, so it might not really give you the flavour of living permanently in Australia anyway.

If you could find an employer sponsor whilst on your WHV though, that would be an opportunity to try it out on a temporary basis. Sponsorships are not always available though.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:04 am
Just Joined

martiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to behold

The two Visas I have looked at are Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) & Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457). My only issue with the Temporary Work Visa is that it it requires that i'm sponsored. Does that mean I can't apply for the Visa until I have a sponsor, or can I apply and then find a sponsor when I move over? I would prefer to have a Visa for over one year, as I don't think a year is long enough to get a feel for a place.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Which Visa is best?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is not always possible to try it out for two years before committing to a permanent visa. The WHV is only for one year, you would need to go and do some regional work for three months to get the second year. Also, as you have noted, you can only stay with each employer for 6 months, so it might not really give you the flavour of living permanently in Australia anyway.

If you could find an employer sponsor whilst on your WHV though, that would be an opportunity to try it out on a temporary basis. Sponsorships are not always available though.
Thanks for the quick response. I don't know whether to apply for Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) and try and find a more permanent type of work. I meet the criteria and points required.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martiinn
The two Visas I have looked at are Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) & Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457). My only issue with the Temporary Work Visa is that it it requires that i'm sponsored. Does that mean I can't apply for the Visa until I have a sponsor, or can I apply and then find a sponsor when I move over? I would prefer to have a Visa for over one year, as I don't think a year is long enough to get a feel for a place.
No you can't apply for the 457 without having a sponsor. So one option, to come over on WHV and then look for a sponsor whilst you are here.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just go straight for the skilled independent (PR) visa - avoid everything else

Then you can work and live on your terms, not an employer's (who you may not get on with)

After 4 years of PR you can become a citizen and get all the benefits that this provides
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Yeah, I have a feeling that the Skilled Independent visa would be the most approrpriate.
Would I need to have a job in Australia before applying or moving to Australia, or do you get some time to look for one when you move over?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I have a feeling that the Skilled Independent visa would be the most approrpriate.
Would I need to have a job in Australia before applying or moving to Australia, or do you get some time to look for one when you move over?
Are you degree trained?

If not you will have trouble registering as AHPRA not longer recognise the diploma as equivalent to a degree.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Yeah, I have a BSc and I'm also studying my MSc (hoping to be complete before I move over).
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No job needed. You just have to have an occupation that is on the list

You are given a year after visa grant to come to Australia. You don't have to stay (although you can if you want). So plenty of time to look for a job. However, you may struggle to get one if outside of Australia. Employers want you to be here, ready to work
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I have a BSc and I'm also studying my MSc (hoping to be complete before I move over).
Go for PR.....there are some really crap mental health services here and you really do not want to be stuck in a bad job because you are sponsored.

It is also difficult to get sponsored by Queensland health unless it is in an unpopular area
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the input.
I am going to start the Visa and AHPRA applications tonight.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks everyone for the input.
I am going to start the Visa and AHPRA applications tonight.
You can't start the visa application yet, you have a few other things to do first.

The first one is you need to take an IELTS test, which is required for your nursing skills assessment. When you have that you apply to ANMC for your skills assessment, not APHRA, they do your registration, which is something else.