Visa 457 to PR: 189 now or ENS in 1 year ?

Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Mick_32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa 457 to PR: 189 now or ENS in 1 year ?

Hello all,

I have been on 457 for a year and I am looking for options to become PR. Based on my research I found two options:
Option 1 (via ENS):
My current employer offers to sponsor visa after two years, so I would need to wait one more year.
Option 2 (via skillselect):
Apply independently for 189/190 (my occupation is on SOL list).

I am looking for fastest possible option. Can you please advise which option would be faster ? (wait one year for ens or apply independently straight away)

Your feedback would be highly appreciated.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa 457 to PR: 189 now or ENS in 1 year ?

Mick...my ASSUMPTION is that your own application for 189/190 would be quicker simply due to the fact that you can apply now. However, the ENS (IF your employer has indicated that they will sponsor you) may work out financially better due to your employer paying for it all! Even an ENS takes time and its not a given so if you have the funds and the inclination then go for it!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that option one would be a lot quicker. Maybe safer too, you never know what will happen in the next 12 months with the employer.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Good point BS.....employers can be fickle and although 457 is usually ok, I have known friends who have lost their job before PR is awarded and are stuffed!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

The speed in which you were invited to apply for Option 2 would have some relation to the points you score and whether you applied for the 189 or 190.

Once you have made the decision that you wish to remain in Australia, there is potential security in converting to PR assuming you are eligible. Rather than relying on your employer for example should they no longer be willing or eligible to sponsor you. Your employer could also sponsor you for PR now, assuming you meet the criteria for the direct route.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Mick_32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your helpful answers!
You are right - you never know what will happen in a year, so to play it safe, I will go with option two.
I hope I will be able to make it - my occupation ceiling is filling up really quick - out of 1800 slots available almost 1000 is filled already.