Which Visa, 175 or 457?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:18 am
Just Joined

roxanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Visa, 175 or 457?

Hi again, sorry for all the questions.

My partner & I are looking at migrating to OZ later in the year. We are not married but have been together 6 years, living together 4 and have a baby and another due in June.
He is a qualified Plater which is on the Sol & modl as metal fabricator, we have 135 points so enough to apply for the Skilled 175 Visa but we have also been in touch with an agency in OZ who may be able to offer us a 457 Visa and a permanent Job.

Which Visa would you recommend we went for?
Could someone give me a few pro's & con's to the visa's? I have looked on immi but i just want a bit of info in plain English of what they really mean
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Visa, 175 or 457?

The 175 is an independent visa which will give you and your partner full work rights to choose any employer you like. The 457 is employer sponsored, which means that if your employer doesn't like your partner and decides the job is over then you either have to find another sponsor or leave Australia. The 457 is a temporary visa, where the 175 is permanent. Do a search on here of the different visa types or better yet, take a look at www.immi.gov.au for the different visa types and what you are entitled to with each.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxanne
Hi again, sorry for all the questions.

My partner & I are looking at migrating to OZ later in the year. We are not married but have been together 6 years, living together 4 and have a baby and another due in June.
He is a qualified Plater which is on the Sol & modl as metal fabricator, we have 135 points so enough to apply for the Skilled 175 Visa but we have also been in touch with an agency in OZ who may be able to offer us a 457 Visa and a permanent Job.

Which Visa would you recommend we went for?
Could someone give me a few pro's & con's to the visa's? I have looked on immi but i just want a bit of info in plain English of what they really mean
Temporary visas like 457 and permanent jobs don't mix well.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

If your not in a hurry then go for a 175 it takes longer to get but worth it. If your baby is due in June then this should fit with your plans.

Your can apply for both at the same time as a 457 is generally quicker but which ever one is granted last is the one your on so you could get a 175 then it will be over ruled by a 457!!!!! And of course its costly!!!!

Personnaly 175 is the route to go!

Cx