Wikiposts

Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all
Red face Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

Having posted my Vetassess application to our Agent I'm advised to apply as an ..........ESTATE AGENT!.........

To cut a very long story short, I thought the closest description to my qualification and job was as an office manager, but no, no, no, despite years of study and a respectable career in law, I have the best chance as an..... I can't repeat it!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

Originally Posted by Kerrygold
Having posted my Vetassess application to our Agent I'm advised to apply as an ..........ESTATE AGENT!.........

To cut a very long story short, I thought the closest description to my qualification and job was as an office manager, but no, no, no, despite years of study and a respectable career in law, I have the best chance as an..... I can't repeat it!
I bet thats why there is no rush to answer your post either. LOL. Anyway, have you checked the asco descriptions to see if it does match??
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Lawyers were lower life than Estate Agents. If you have a recognised degree and are applying for a 139 visa, then you can nominate any 40 or 50 point occupation and do not have to have any related experience. You do however need to prove that your duties for 12 of the last 18 months, could be reasonably classified under ANY 40, 50 or 60 point occupation on the skills list. This is the only part of your application that needs to be tied down tighter than any other part. If you are working as a lawyer and are claiming that your recent work experience is as a lawyer, then there is a realistic danger that DIMIA could invoke a regulation requiring you to get a skills assessment as a lawyer - which you will not be able to get. So I would not be worried about the VETASSESS nominated occupatin as it has no bearing on the likely success of your application - worry about what recent work experience occupation you are claiming to come under and whether this will be accepted by DIMIA.

Tony
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:51 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

An Essex girl and estate agent!!

say no more

Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshtony
I thought Lawyers were lower life than Estate Agents. If you have a recognised degree and are applying for a 139 visa, then you can nominate any 40 or 50 point occupation and do not have to have any related experience. You do however need to prove that your duties for 12 of the last 18 months, could be reasonably classified under ANY 40, 50 or 60 point occupation on the skills list. This is the only part of your application that needs to be tied down tighter than any other part. If you are working as a lawyer and are claiming that your recent work experience is as a lawyer, then there is a realistic danger that DIMIA could invoke a regulation requiring you to get a skills assessment as a lawyer - which you will not be able to get. So I would not be worried about the VETASSESS nominated occupatin as it has no bearing on the likely success of your application - worry about what recent work experience occupation you are claiming to come under and whether this will be accepted by DIMIA.
And usually it's better to nominate a 50 point occupation rather than a 40 point one if possible, as this often gives you a shot at the 138 visa as well.

One further point if the qualification is in law - as lawyer is a registrable occupation in Australia, DIMIA will need to see evidence you are employable (through training or experience) in a non-registrable skilled occupation, otherwise you may be asked to get assessed as a lawyer!

Jeremy
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Glenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to all

I don't like to dis your agent, but Real Estate Salesperson (which is the correct ASCO/SOL title for Esate Agent) seems a bit suss. he only reason I think an agent could suggest that was if you did a lot of conveyancing...and then they would have the bull well and truly by the proverbials.

If your job can legitimately be portrayed as entailing a very significant proportion of managing your practice office then Office Manager could be the way to go. But then that office management role would generally fall to the chief clerk wouldn't it?

I don't think there is a 50 point occupation that you could be insinuated in to.

A criticism I have with some in my profession (migration agents - down there with lawyers but above estate agents and used car selespersons) is that they sometimes try to fit square pegs in round holes to score a client without too much regard to whether it can fly with DIMIA.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all
Wink Re: Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

Originally Posted by tucs
An Essex girl and estate agent!!

say no more
Not to mention that I'm blond!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

Originally Posted by Glenn Newton
I don't like to dis your agent, but Real Estate Salesperson (which is the correct ASCO/SOL title for Esate Agent) seems a bit suss. he only reason I think an agent could suggest that was if you did a lot of conveyancing...and then they would have the bull well and truly by the proverbials.

If your job can legitimately be portrayed as entailing a very significant proportion of managing your practice office then Office Manager could be the way to go. But then that office management role would generally fall to the chief clerk wouldn't it?

I don't think there is a 50 point occupation that you could be insinuated in to.

A criticism I have with some in my profession (migration agents - down there with lawyers but above estate agents and used car selespersons) is that they sometimes try to fit square pegs in round holes to score a client without too much regard to whether it can fly with DIMIA.
I do A LOT of conveyancing but my agent feels that estate agent is closer to a settlement clerk in Australia. I read the description of Real Estate Salesperson and it seems to fit fairly well, although so does office manager as I do have support staff working under me, for whom I am responsible. OH GOD I hope they've advised me correctly!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Glenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to all

I do A LOT of conveyancing but my agent feels that estate agent is closer to a settlement clerk in Australia. I read the description of Real Estate Salesperson and it seems to fit fairly well, although so does office manager as I do have support staff working under me, for whom I am responsible. OH GOD I hope they've advised me correctly!
With the caveats that I do not have the details necessary for me to form a professional opinion, and that I am not providing professional advice regarding your situation, I have doubts that you are being correctly advised. Another issue is that Real Estate Salespeople are required to be registered/licensed in most states in Australia which could have implications for meeting visa requirements. If you want to email me direct attaching your CV and/or some more details of your qualifications and work experience.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Glenn. Office Manager may be the better place to claim where you experience is especially if you are working for a law firm and possibly even if you are working for an estate agency. The actual VETASSESS classification does not matter but for ease on the eye you would best apply for the same occupation as your claimed work experience. Definitely get a second opinion as Glenn has offerred.

Tony
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Vetassess - Help I'm an Estate Agent!

Originally Posted by Glenn Newton
With the caveats that I do not have the details necessary for me to form a professional opinion, and that I am not providing professional advice regarding your situation, I have doubts that you are being correctly advised. Another issue is that Real Estate Salespeople are required to be registered/licensed in most states in Australia which could have implications for meeting visa requirements. If you want to email me direct attaching your CV and/or some more details of your qualifications and work experience.
Thanks go to both Glenn and Tony for your kind help. Glenn - I have emailed you direct.

Thanks again, Kerry.