Very Frustrated

Old Nov 20th 2002, 7:43 am
Just Joined

nessy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very Frustrated

Hi there
I am hoping someone can assist me. I am on a work sponsorship in Australia on a 457 visa and am trying to get permanent residency via the points system independent of my employer, as my job and sponsorship look like they wont be extended beyond Xmas.
I am sitting on 110 points and need to get 5 points and am trying the following options:
- getting my skills assessed by AIM (I hold a BA Honours in Commerce) and have 6 years work experience with the same company but have been told AIM is the hardest to get assessed by - any ideas on success before I spend another $400? I have been assessed by VETASSES but I need +ve assessment by AIM to get additional 10 points
- can you get your UK degree certified as an Australian equivalent - would this class as "Australian qualifications" and give me my 5 points I need?
- Australian qualifications - talks about studying for 12 months full time - if you have a degree already, work experience and the above certification does not apply, can you do a fast track course that would give you the qualifications you need - can this be in any field or must it be related to your degree/work experience? Or do you have to prove you've studied for 12 months (timesheets or something) or would the certificate of qualification be enough?
- can another employer take over the 457 visa from my existing company (its valid until 2005) or would they need to apply for a new one (approx $5k)? Would this apply in any situation - if I was retrenched, found another sponsor and left current company, was fired?
- I've heard that associations like Geoffrey Nathan or Free Spirit can sponsor individuals - is this true? Do you have to work for them or what are the conditions if they sponsor you?
Any help on the above is appreciated - I'm working against the clock now! Thanks!
Old Nov 20th 2002, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very Frustrated

I was skilled assessed via AIM. Was rejected initially as not enough experience at senior enough level. Applied again after further 2 years in same job. They allowed me 1 years grace for my Post Grad Diploma in Marketing + the 4 years at senior level and Skilled Assessment ok.

The lady at AIM was very helpful via email (look on AIM website for email address)

Senior means managing managers and full accountability for a business area (ie P&L). The only way really to know is to send off for assessment.

Good luck.
Mash...

QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by nessy
Hi there
I am hoping someone can assist me. I am on a work sponsorship in Australia on a 457 visa and am trying to get permanent residency via the points system independent of my employer, as my job and sponsorship look like they wont be extended beyond Xmas.
I am sitting on 110 points and need to get 5 points and am trying the following options:
- getting my skills assessed by AIM (I hold a BA Honours in Commerce) and have 6 years work experience with the same company but have been told AIM is the hardest to get assessed by - any ideas on success before I spend another $400? I have been assessed by VETASSES but I need +ve assessment by AIM to get additional 10 points
-