Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

URGENT PLS: How to move Elderly Mum in US to Australia: I want to care for her myself

URGENT PLS: How to move Elderly Mum in US to Australia: I want to care for her myself

Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

LovingDaughter is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation URGENT PLS: How to move Elderly Mum in US to Australia: I want to care for her myself

Hello Everyone
I am desperately looking for advice on which visa option may help me move my beautiful Mum from the US to live with me, permanently, in Australia.

My Mum is a UK citizen and has lived in the US for the past 18 years. She is a permanent US resident. My Dad died in Oct 2010, and my beautiful Mum is in her 80's.

Mum has quite serious health issues and, since Dad died, her general wellbeing has gone rapidly downhill.

I am determined to care for her in her last years. She does not want to end her life in a nursing home, and I am committed to fulfilling her wishes.

I currently live in Australia, and have both UK and Australian citizenship.

I am trying to ascertain HOW to move Mum from the US to Australia where I will commit to caring for her, personally, during the last years of her life.

Given her cardiologist's prognosis, it is more than likely that she will not survive more than 5 or 6 years.

I would deeply appreciate any advice on possible options. The thought of my Mum spending her last years in a nursing home, so far away in the US, and surrounded by strangers fills me with the deepest sadness. I want to care for her, with all my heart... I simply cannot figure out how this is possible ?

I thank anyone who replies with my sincerest gratitude.
~ LovingDaughter ~ X
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:57 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT PLS: How to move Elderly Mum in US to Australia: I want to care for her my

Originally Posted by LovingDaughter
Hello Everyone
I am desperately looking for advice on which visa option may help me move my beautiful Mum from the US to live with me, permanently, in Australia.

My Mum is a UK citizen and has lived in the US for the past 18 years. She is a permanent US resident. My Dad died in Oct 2010, and my beautiful Mum is in her 80's.

Mum has quite serious health issues and, since Dad died, her general wellbeing has gone rapidly downhill.

I am determined to care for her in her last years. She does not want to end her life in a nursing home, and I am committed to fulfilling her wishes.

I am trying to ascertain HOW to move Mum from the US to Australia where I will commit to caring for her, personally, during the last years of her life.

Given her cardiologist's prognosis, it is more than likely that she will not survive more than 5 or 6 years.

I would deeply appreciate any advice on possible options. The thought of my Mum spending her last years in a nursing home, so far away in the US, and surrounded by strangers fills me with the deepest sadness. I want to care for her, with all my heart... I simply cannot figure out how this is possible ?

~ LovingDaughter ~ X
You need to check out the options available to you via thr DIAC site. The only visa I can think of right now is the contributory parent visa and that has criteria attached - see here http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...nt/173-to-143/

given your mums age and her ill health it doesn't sound too promising as this visa has health criteria attached and it doesn't happen over night. Have you thought about going to live in USA instead of your mum trying to come over here?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT PLS: How to move Elderly Mum in US to Australia: I want to care for her my

Hello Everyone

~ LovingDaughter ~ X
Thought you wanted to move to the US to be with her. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724195
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:07 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I just realised you have UK and Aus citizenship so maybe this is the sticking point i.e. you don't have ability to live in US?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You need to check out the options available to you via thr DIAC site. The only visa I can think of right now is the contributory parent visa and that has criteria attached - see here http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...nt/173-to-143/

given your mums age and her ill health it doesn't sound too promising as this visa has health criteria attached and it doesn't happen over night. Have you thought about going to live in USA instead of your mum trying to come over here?
Thank you so much for your response << big hug >>
Yes! But it seems the shortest wait for me to come to the US is appx 7 years... I don't think my Mum will last that long... Oh, this is so heartbreaking... I am trying to find out ALL of my options... either me go there or my Mum come to Australia... That's why I've posted on both forums...
It seems absolutely insane, that I cannot care for my Mum in her old age, and in ill health. I haven't lived in the UK since 1986 !!!
What to do, what to do ???? x
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Thought you wanted to move to the US to be with her. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724195
Thank you so much for your response << big hug >>
Yes! But it seems the shortest wait for me to come to the US is appx 7 years... I don't think my Mum will last that long... Oh, this is so heartbreaking... I am trying to find out ALL of my options... either me go there or my Mum come to Australia... That's why I've posted on both forums...
It seems absolutely insane, that I cannot care for my Mum in her old age, and in ill health. I haven't lived in the UK since 1986 !!!
What to do, what to do ???? x
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your best and fastest bet would be for you to both live in the UK. Anything else would take years to sort, that's if it's even possible. It's unlikely your mother will get past the health requirements for Aus unfortunately.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:24 am

If its something that needs to happen quickly due to your mums ill health and age, and given you both have UK citizenship - that may be your quickest option i.e.both move to UK?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Something to bear in mind is the cost of healthcare in the three countries - if you both move back and settle in the UK she would be entitled to NHS care. In Australia even if she passed the medical I suspect she would end up paying out a fair bit for ongoing healthcare, and as for the US........I wouldn't even want to think about costs there
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Something to bear in mind is the cost of healthcare in the three countries - if you both move back and settle in the UK she would be entitled to NHS care. In Australia even if she passed the medical I suspect she would end up paying out a fair bit for ongoing healthcare, and as for the US........I wouldn't even want to think about costs there
good point
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Probably worth a consultation with an agent like George Lombard to see what options exist (we don't even know if balance of family test is passed) however there's likely to be a significant issue with the health requirement. The health requirement can be overriden by ministerial intervention but that is a lengthy process and often the answer is no.

Sympathy, etc, but a situation like this illustrates exactly why a. parents and children should share the same nationality status if possible, and b. resident status in a country (in this case the USA) should not be abandoned without serious thought for the long term consequences.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Before leaving the uk I remember listening to a discussion on radio 2, where they were petitioning the french government to change their health policies for people who had moved to France permanently.
They said the problem was that they were not entitled to free health care. Some people had then tried moving back to the uk for the nhs care and were told they had to pay for it there too as they had been living outside of the country too long. There was a waiting period that they had to wait to show they had really moved back and were not just trying to get the free health care.
Definatly worth looking into.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Before leaving the uk I remember listening to a discussion on radio 2, where they were petitioning the french government to change their health policies for people who had moved to France permanently.
They said the problem was that they were not entitled to free health care. Some people had then tried moving back to the uk for the nhs care and were told they had to pay for it there too as they had been living outside of the country too long. There was a waiting period that they had to wait to show they had really moved back and were not just trying to get the free health care.
Definatly worth looking into.
If you hae a read of the Moving Back to the UK forum you will see that this is a common problem when people move back. They are told by frontline staff that they are not entitled to NHS care, purely because the frontline staff don't often encounter the situation. The facts are though - as born out in many threads on there - that as long as the person has moved back to the UK to settle, and is not just visiting, then they are entitled to use the NHS from the day they arrive

Also a useful link here - http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074376
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

IF you go back to the UK to settle, you're clearly eligible for NHS care.

One other thing to bear in mind is that if you are originally from the UK, this will normally reactivate your British "domicile" and hence your worldwide estate will be liable for Inheritance Tax. For 95% of people, the nil rate band is enough to cancel any liability, but it may be an issue for the other 5%.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

jimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nicejimmygill is just really nice

Hello Everyone

~ LovingDaughter ~ X
Hello Dear

This suggestion is based on my observation on your given circumstance and concern with your mom.

Cal her first on tourist/visitor visa.

Then apply for dependent visa under family sponsered as per your visa category showing her sick and dependent on you. This is practical to avoid hassels

TC

Gill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.