Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by macker
Sorry, I'm just trying to get this straight in my head. We are hoping to be granted our 136 skilled Ind. in January 07. Are we then classed as permanent residents by our grant letter or do we have to enter Australia and validate the visa before we are classed as PR's???
Unfortunately the answer to your question is based on some extremely complicated definitions in the Citizenship Act (different from the Migration Act).

A validated visa should be ok, an offshore granted visa may be, we'll have to see.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unfortunately the answer to your question is based on some extremely complicated definitions in the Citizenship Act (different from the Migration Act).

A validated visa should be ok, an offshore granted visa may be, we'll have to see.
Thanks JaJ for that. Any idea when it should be sorted?? Maybe after January?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the proverbial piece of string?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough
Default Time to process Citizenship application

We applied on Sunday for citizenship online. 2 years to the day.
Does anybody know how long it takes? I see in the application the quetion is asked if you are leaving Australia in the next year and for what reason. The site also says it can take up to 9 months, but I would not think that in most circumstances it will take any where near that long to be asked to attend an interview and then get comunication about a ceremony.
I was hoping it can be done before I need to go on a short trip in May next year and travel on a new passport.
Jan 26 07 would be good. : )
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's already there in the draft legislation if you would like to read it for yourself.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Default Re: Time to process Citizenship application

Originally Posted by sa2oz
We applied on Sunday for citizenship online. 2 years to the day.
Does anybody know how long it takes? I see in the application the quetion is asked if you are leaving Australia in the next year and for what reason
1. They cannot approve your application (normally) when you are offshore.
2. If you are planning to leave Australia permanently, your application can be refused.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Time to process Citizenship application

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. They cannot approve your application (normally) when you are offshore.
2. If you are planning to leave Australia permanently, your application can be refused.
I am currently in Australia and have been for 2 years. I am going on a 10 to 14 day trip in May 2007 and then will be back. We are here for the long stay.

That is why I was hoping it could happen sooner rather than later. It is not a problem either way, we will wait it out and postpone. There is afamily that has applied and want us to be at the same ceremony. I just dont want to impact their citizenship with delays.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

I have found out from other applicants it takes about 3 weeks to get the letter requesting an interview provided all the info is as per the visa application
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have found out from other applicants it takes about 3 weeks to get the letter requesting an interview provided all the info is as per the visa application
Remember that if you become a citizen before the UK trip, then you will need an Aus passport to travel on
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:19 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

And you don't become a citizen legally until you've taken the pledge at your citizenship ceremony, which in some local government areas may take months to arrange.

Peter
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ptlabs
And you don't become a citizen legally until you've taken the pledge at your citizenship ceremony, which in some local government areas may take months to arrange.
Although citizenship ceremonies should normally be no more than 3 months after approval of application. This is DIMA policy.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:10 pm
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

Dear JAJ and everybody else,

After looking through the official documents related the new Australian Citizenship Bill 2006 (renamed from ...2005) after it has passed the House of Representatives on November 28, I have come to the following conclusions:

- Under the NEW bill, a person granted an offshore permanent visa only becomes a permanent resident after the visa has been validated [Australian Citizenship Bill 2006, section 5(1)(b)(ii): "the person has previously been present in Australia and held a permanent visa immediately before last leaving Australia"].

- A person that is a permanent resident according to the OLD Citizenship Bill (1948) at the time the new bill commences, and applies for citizenship within three years after the new bill commences, satisfies the residence requirement if he/she has been present in Australia as permanent resident for a total of 1 year in the 2-year period before applying, and a total of 2 years in the 5-year period before applying [Australian Citizenship (Transitionals and Consequentials) Bill 2006, section 5B].

- The possibility under the OLD Citizenship Bill to count time outside Australia, engaged in activities considered beneficial to the interests of Australia, towards fulfilling the residency requirement will not be available after the new bill commences. Instead of referring to the rules of the old bill in general under the 3-year period after the new bill starts, the new rules are specifically listed as described above [Australian Citizenship (Transitionals and Consequentials) Bill 2006, section 5B].

- Under the OLD bill, a person granted an offshore permanent visa directly becomes a permanent resident [Australian Citizenship Bill 1948, section 5A(d): "in relation to a period during which the person was not present in Australia, if the person was, during that period: (i) the holder of, or deemed to be included in: (A) a valid visa that is in a class of visas prescribed for the purposes of this sub-subparagraph or a return endorsement that was in force"].

As I am quite new to this, I very much welcome any comments on my conclusions. Especially the last one I am quite uncertain about as these paragraphs of the old bill were a bit hard to follow. By the way, I accessed all the official documents from the website http://www.aph.gov.au/house
Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:48 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Did something happen - Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Did I miss this.
Quote: "after it has passed the House of Representatives on November 28, I have come to the following conclusions:"

I thought it was held off til next year.

Is it coming in January 2007 or not....

Would really like to know.

Brian.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did something happen - Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by bjbrian
Did I miss this.
Quote: "after it has passed the House of Representatives on November 28, I have come to the following conclusions:"

I thought it was held off til next year.

Is it coming in January 2007 or not....

Would really like to know.

Brian.
I thought it was 1st July 2007???????????????
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:20 pm
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

In addition to being passed by the House of Representatives, the new Citizenship Bill also has to be passed by the Senate before it can come into effect. As I understand it, the bill was introduced in the Senate on November 30 but the discussion was later adjourned until the first day of the next period of sittings. According to the parliament schedule, this means early February.

That the bill would commence before that (e.g. on Australia Day as has been suggested earlier) is therefore no longer possible. Because July 1, 2007 has been mentioned on DIMA's homepage for the last couple of weeks, that commencement date is my own best bet at the moment, although in principle it can be earlier than that.

Although changes to the bill itself are still possible until it is passed by the Senate, I personally doubt that there will be any, or at least no major ones.

Sources:
http://parlinfoweb.aph.gov.au/piweb/...:2006-12-01%3B
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/info/sit...2007/index.htm
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...6-announce.htm

Last edited by >40; Dec 1st 2006 at 10:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.