British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   UPDATE to Fighting for her life downunder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/update-fighting-her-life-downunder-477657/)

DavidT Aug 29th 2007 1:53 pm

UPDATE to Fighting for her life downunder

Sorry I havn't posted for a while, I have had some bad news regarding my wife Stephanie, she has had to go into hospital recently after being fast tracked by a Haematologist who is concerned about his diagnosis which has been confirmed as Myeloma which is Cancer.
It basically attacks all the good blood cells in the bones which makes them become degenerate, compress or fracture. She has had the bone marrow test, she has started on a course of tablets to strengthen the bones & attack the disease. She is now on her 2nd treatment of chemotherapy & a few weeks away from a bone marrow transplant.
It is a very rare disease so they are hopeful for her, it generally affects older people. We are fortunate that Princess Alexander hospital in Brisbane is one of the best blood units in the world & the diagnosis has been picked up so quickly. Our consultant made the appointment for the following morning while we were at our initial consultation.
On the bleak side it is quite bleak, but we may have caught it early enough to give her the best possible chance.
The kids are fine & suspect little & I will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

3 Days later

Steph has had lots of tests, her organs are fine as the disease hasn't got at them which is good. she has no more breaks in her bones 3 fractures in her back causing immense discomfort.
The staff & facilities are fantastic & they are so proffesional, it was a blessing that we came over even if it was just to save her life, which is what we won't find out for some time yet. If we had of been back in the uk, we would of been none the wiser for a while & even then may not of got this kind of priority treatment.
Were hopeful but don't want to ask those questions just yet, we will wait a while, the best we can hope for is remission, they have said she will not do any better than that, but we remain positive.

The kids are happier than i have ever seen them, it's quite incredible really how they have slipped into this life, but they say that about kids don't they, I suppose getting all this fresh air & sunshine, plus there own way all the time is just how we would of liked it as children.

Will write again soon, love David. xxx

Of all miracles Stephanie is in remission for 3 years next week:thumbsup: I can't tell you how much stress we've been under, but joy of joy we got this far &
guess what happened today? :sneaky:

:thumbsup:WE GOT PERMENANT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFING RESIDENCY CONFIRMED BY DIAC. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: SHOCKED TO THE CORE THIS HAS BEEN SO DIFFICULT. iT HASN'T REALLY SUNK IN YET & YES I AM SHOUTING.

Sam Aug 29th 2007 1:56 pm

Re: UPDATE to Fighting for her life downunder

Pleased to hear about your perm res

god with you for your wifes treatement, hope all goes well, don't really know what else to say

Issie Aug 29th 2007 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by DavidT (Post 5248808)
Sorry I havn't posted for a while, I have had some bad news regarding my wife Stephanie, she has had to go into hospital recently after being fast tracked by a Haematologist who is concerned about his diagnosis which has been confirmed as Myeloma which is Cancer.
It basically attacks all the good blood cells in the bones which makes them become degenerate, compress or fracture. She has had the bone marrow test, she has started on a course of tablets to strengthen the bones & attack the disease. She is now on her 2nd treatment of chemotherapy & a few weeks away from a bone marrow transplant.
It is a very rare disease so they are hopeful for her, it generally affects older people. We are fortunate that Princess Alexander hospital in Brisbane is one of the best blood units in the world & the diagnosis has been picked up so quickly. Our consultant made the appointment for the following morning while we were at our initial consultation.
On the bleak side it is quite bleak, but we may have caught it early enough to give her the best possible chance.
The kids are fine & suspect little & I will keep it that way for the forseeable future.

3 Days later

Steph has had lots of tests, her organs are fine as the disease hasn't got at them which is good. she has no more breaks in her bones 3 fractures in her back causing immense discomfort.
The staff & facilities are fantastic & they are so proffesional, it was a blessing that we came over even if it was just to save her life, which is what we won't find out for some time yet. If we had of been back in the uk, we would of been none the wiser for a while & even then may not of got this kind of priority treatment.
Were hopeful but don't want to ask those questions just yet, we will wait a while, the best we can hope for is remission, they have said she will not do any better than that, but we remain positive.

The kids are happier than i have ever seen them, it's quite incredible really how they have slipped into this life, but they say that about kids don't they, I suppose getting all this fresh air & sunshine, plus there own way all the time is just how we would of liked it as children.

Of all miracles Stephanie is in remission for 3 years next week:thumbsup: I can't tell you how much stress we've been under, but joy of joy we got this far &
guess what happened today?

:thumbsup:WE GOT PERMENANT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFING RESIDENCY CONFIRMED BY DIAC. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: SHOCKED TO THE CORE THIS HAS BEEN SO DIFFICULT. iT HASN'T REALLY SUNK IN YET & YES I AM SHOUTING.

Wow you have been through a difficult time and have come out smiling .

Congrats on the PR........you really deserve this.

May Steph stay healthy and happy :)

midwife2be Aug 29th 2007 2:03 pm

Congrats on your PR :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed steph stays well, and well done you for keeping your family safe and well, now go and enjoy your life in the sun :wub:

hairart Aug 29th 2007 3:05 pm

3 Days later

guess what happened today? :sneaky:

:thumbsup:WE GOT PERMENANT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFING RESIDENCY CONFIRMED BY DIAC. :rofl::rofl: SHOCKED TO THE CORE THIS HAS BEEN SO DIFFICULT. iT HASN'T REALLY SUNK IN YET & YES I AM SHOUTING.

:thumbsup: congratulations on your permanent residency.

i kind of know what you're going through, my dad had Myeloma. Unfortunately he had the strain that attacked his vital organs, and after much treatment he was told that the desease was under control, but his organs where damaged. He was doing ok though, and they (mum and dad), decided to go to Lanzerote a few years on. They had only been there 3 days, and i had a phone call to say he'd had a massive heart attack and died......the worst tme of my life:(... luckily mum had taken out a very good insurance, so flying him home wasn't a problem.
anyway i really really wish you the best of luck:)

louise033 Aug 29th 2007 3:18 pm

Wow, what good news all round! I too feel that emmigrating actually saved my life.

My OH and I moved to Canada in 2004 on temp work permits whilst waiting our PR. I was diagnosed with cancer in Aug 2005 and truly believe that had I stayed in the UK, my cancer would not have been caught so early on and my treatment may not have been so good, I was treated here in one of the top 10 cancer hospitals in Nth America & feel grateful every day. I am almost 2 years clear now.

Stay strong & enjoy your PR!
Louise x

wardy2 Aug 29th 2007 4:30 pm

Fantastic news on both fronts wish you all the best and loads of happiness for the future. :thumbsup::wub:

xx

york1e Aug 29th 2007 5:28 pm

Hi David i don't know you but i just had to say congrats, and my thoughts are with you and your family through these trying times

Tweenies Aug 29th 2007 5:43 pm

I am so pleased that your wife has been in remission for 3 years now and the fact you have just found out about PR is great too, best of luck for your future.

I_Will_Freckle Aug 29th 2007 6:18 pm

Congratulations - on everything!

shazza Aug 29th 2007 6:29 pm

hi
dont know you but what wonderful news..hope steph keeps good help and fab news about pr.
Go celebrate you all deserve it..congratulations
shaz:)

TELLYADDICT1 Aug 29th 2007 8:17 pm

Hi, you don't know me. I've just read your post and had to say congratulations and best wishes.
TA

sammyg Aug 29th 2007 9:33 pm

Wow, you've had it tough... really happy that it's all working out now for you!
Good on your wife too for not letting that nasty illness get to her!!

Enjoy the good times:thumbup:

JAJ Aug 30th 2007 3:54 am

Congratulations. And remember that provided you've been legal all the time, which presumably you have, you will be able to apply for Australian citizenship once you have completed 4 years residence, including one year as permanent residents.

In other words, around a year from now.

mollymoo Aug 30th 2007 9:13 am

I didn't know what was coming as I read that......

BUT I am absolutely chuffed to bits for you!
Three years in remission- well done :thumbsup:

Wonderful post.