Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Understanding how granted visas' clocks tick

Understanding how granted visas' clocks tick

Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:09 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Understanding how granted visas' clocks tick

Hypothetically speaking suppose a person's medicals and PCCs are done in July and his visa is granted in October (both this year), how do the validity pariods work? I realise that the visa would need to be validated before July 2010 but when would the visa be valid until? Would it be July 2015? Or 5 years from first entry? Or....

Thanks.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Understanding how granted visas' clocks tick

Originally Posted by paulry
Hypothetically speaking suppose a person's medicals and PCCs are done in July and his visa is granted in October (both this year), how do the validity pariods work? I realise that the visa would need to be validated before July 2010 but when would the visa be valid until? Would it be July 2015? Or 5 years from first entry? Or....

Thanks.
Its valid for 5 years from the date of grant. The date is printed on the visa label
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its valid for 5 years from the date of grant. The date is printed on the visa label
Thank you Pollyana

Every cloud has a silver lining
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:16 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

From

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...5documents.htm

You will also need to watch the RRV rules if you don't turn up for 3 years and then leave after another 2
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yup. Our visa granted 12 July 2006 and valid for multiple entry until 12 July 2011.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yup. Our visa granted 12 July 2006 and valid for multiple entry until 12 July 2011.
Suppose a family settles permanently in Australia 4 years after visa grant would there be problems from the angle of the 3 out of 5 rule?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Suppose a family settles permanently in Australia 4 years after visa grant would there be problems from the angle of the 3 out of 5 rule?
Possibly for getting a RRV, but if you don't intend to leave the country then a RRV isn't necessary. Your PR visa is just that...Permanent. So, if you do not leave Australia you can stay forever on that first visa and never have to get citizenship or a return resident visa.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Possibly for getting a RRV, but if you don't intend to leave the country then a RRV isn't necessary. Your PR visa is just that...Permanent. So, if you do not leave Australia you can stay forever on that first visa and never have to get citizenship or a return resident visa.
That makes sense. Thanks.

I hope my family and I are in Australia looooong before that but in this uncertain world...
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

paul-g is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I have VISA granted for my wife and 2 kids, all being secondary applicants. Due to personal matters, they will not be going with me to Australia for the time being.

I wish to know, will they (wife and kids) be able to renew their VISA if they do not meet the 2 out of 5 years rule but i as the primary VISA holder meet?

Regards,
Paul
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

chris mcgow will become famous soon enoughchris mcgow will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paul-g
Hi all,

I have VISA granted for my wife and 2 kids, all being secondary applicants. Due to personal matters, they will not be going with me to Australia for the time being.

I wish to know, will they (wife and kids) be able to renew their VISA if they do not meet the 2 out of 5 years rule but i as the primary VISA holder meet?

Regards,
Paul
As I understand it, all peoples on the visa must enter Australia by the date stated and secondary applicants can not enter before the main applicant, once the initial entry is complete all applicants are free to leave and enter at will, as far as Iam aware, for the duration of the visa ( and Im sure someone will correct me if this rule has changed ) you only need to get a residents return visa after your initial visa has run out and you do need to have been an actual resident for 2 years to qualify
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Regards,
Paul
You do understand that you all must validate your visas don't you?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Regards,
Paul
I'll move the thread to the Immi forum for the likes of JAJ to give their opinion, but from what I've read on oither threads -
Firstly they MUST all validate by the date on the visa or their visas will be cancelled.
Secondly - you need to read up on the Return Resident Visa (RRV). As long as they move to Aus before the 5 years are up they don't need to get a RRV or anything until the want to leave again. If they have lived here for 2 years by the time they wish to leave again then they should get a full 5 year RRV. If they haven't been here for the full 2 years when they apply then they would need to show ties to Austrlia that prove it is their home - owning a house, jobs, schools etc.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi Chris, Sally and Pollyana,

Thanks all for your reply. Yes, I'm aware that all of us (myself and all secondary applicants) must make the first trip to Australia to get our VISA validated. We plan to visit Perth end of the year.

Thanks for the attachement. I've read and found one of the point that may answer my concern.

For a 5 year RRV you must also meet one of the following requirements:
> you are the immediate family member of an RRV holder.

So I assume if I have the RRV, all my family members automatically gets the RRV with same validity as well? Please help to confirm.

Thanks a million.
Paul
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Chris, Sally and Pollyana,

Thanks all for your reply. Yes, I'm aware that all of us (myself and all secondary applicants) must make the first trip to Australia to get our VISA validated. We plan to visit Perth end of the year.

Thanks for the attachement. I've read and found one of the point that may answer my concern.

For a 5 year RRV you must also meet one of the following requirements:
> you are the immediate family member of an RRV holder.

So I assume if I have the RRV, all my family members automatically gets the RRV with same validity as well without meeting the 2 out of 5 years stay? Please help to confirm.

Thanks a million.
Paul
Hi all, can anyone here help to confirm my understanding as per above is correct?

Thanks!Paul
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:08 am
Home and Happy

Hi all, can anyone here help to confirm my understanding as per above is correct?

Thanks!Paul
You really need to talk to an agent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.