Un-Skilled mining work

Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Memmoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Un-Skilled mining work

So I've heard about this today from a friend, she suggested I find this site and ask for help.

So, my question is is it possible for a twenty two year old unskilled but willing worker to come over and get work? If its possible, is it likely?

Thanks for your help,
Luke.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Un-Skilled mining work

Originally Posted by Memmoch
So I've heard about this today from a friend, she suggested I find this site and ask for help.

So, my question is is it possible for a twenty two year old unskilled but willing worker to come over and get work? If its possible, is it likely?

Thanks for your help,
Luke.
Hi Luke and welcome to BE.

Your only option is the WHV which would allow you to spend up to a year travelling and working in Australia. If you do some specified regional work you could get a second year. Have a look here

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much. I'll have a good look through that. Is it not possible to move there and work perminantly?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much. I'll have a good look through that. Is it not possible to move there and work perminantly?
Sorry not for unskilled workers but you are lucky that youu can go and have a look and try. If it is somthing you would like to do permanently, you could have a look at the skills list and see if there is anything you could train to do and apply for a skilld visa at a later date
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unskilled work in the mines is extremely hard to get and with mining companies laying off workers left right and centre I certainly would count on getting work in the mines. Unfortunately people tend to assume you can walk into mine work and get paid big money, some have done it and many many more have failed to get a foot in the door. Sorry to sound pessimistic but to try and get into mine work with absolutely no experience is incredibly hard.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Nah that's good. I wanna know if its impossible or very difficult. Mining isn't something I'm set on. It's just something I wouldn't mind doing. Anything easy to get into? Ha.

I really want to see Australia though.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course nothing is impossible but especially with the slowdown in the economy it is extremely difficult. There are no real sectors that are easy to get into especially with no experience. Best thing is to come over on a working holiday visa and just pick up work where you can and go from there.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

I like that idea. I just worry that if I get there and there is no work I'll starve.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 7:18 pm
Banned

I like that idea. I just worry that if I get there and there is no work I'll starve.
You have to have enough to survive on, it is no good going and expecting to find work as it is getting harder to come by. It is important you get there with a slush fund that you can fall back on.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There have never been many true unskilled jobs in Oz mines. Most people without skills would come in as trainees. Usually starting trainee roles for dump truck driving. This wouldn't be an option on a WHV. Most jobs in mining are highly skilled. For example a jumbo operator would have a minimum of about 7 years experience in other equipment before they even commence training.

The two roles that do come to mind for unskilled are field assistants for geologists / pit techs and core yard operatives. However, while I have recruited green WHV guys before for these roles, I wouldn't now as there are plenty of experienced guys available. Also, field assistants tend to have a particular profile. Normally I would look for people who have experience in areas such as farming as they know there way around a generator and pump and are used to being outdoors and are physically fit.

Core yard ops are also now hard to get as most companies have stopped are dramatically cut the amount of drilling they are doing. As a result the staff that would deal with drill samples - core yard ops, are not needed.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

You would be safer trying to get a job with one of the camp contractors, you don't need much skills for cleaning toilets.

At least you might get your foot in the door.