Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

UK Counselling Qualifications recognised in Oz?

UK Counselling Qualifications recognised in Oz?

Old Aug 31st 2022, 10:46 am
Just Joined

LJD22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Counselling Qualifications recognised in Oz?

Hi,

Apologies for the long post! I'm currently researching the process of moving over to Australia (Queensland/Brisbane areas). I'm currently studying a BA (Hons) Counselling (Integrative Theory and Practice) which is accredited by the BACP. My course is P/T and I am currently in year 3 of 4, which if I left uni now, is equivalent to a Level 5 HND, which if I wanted to continue living in the UK, I could legally practice as a fully-qualified counsellor (once I complete my 100hrs clinical placement). Now, I've enquired via a couple of immigration agents about whether a HND or a BA(Hons) would be recognised/convertible in Australia to practice and enable me to move with. But, unless I pass their palms with gold (I do understand this), no-one is giving me any definite answers. Being a counsellor is on the skills list at present, but I'm pretty sure that also means that someone who's already got the qualification and has gained a few years evidenced job/work in the role which can be assessed, but as I'm a current student with another year or 2 left, I don't have the relevant experience that I think would give me the Visa.

I've even emailed the ACA (Australian Counselling Association) who are the equivalent to the BACP in the UK, but all they said was to pay for the skills test (I'm not in any position at the moment to be spending hundreds of pounds for something I'm just trying to see/research would be a viable option for me, my husband and my 2 girls (aged 12 and 10). This skills test at the moment anyway wouldn't prove anything as I don't have the qualification/certificate to process an application with. I really feel like I'm chasing my tail. But at the same time, I love counselling and its taken me many years bumbling around in jobs to finally realise my passion and dream job of helping people.

I'm nearly 41 (as is the hubby), and I'm also very wary that we are approaching the 45 years cut-off (especially if there are delays in the Visa application process). I have 23 years of Administration experience, and I know that my skills and qualifications here would see us qualify for a Skilled Visa there, and from my emails with the immigration agents, they've told me that I would be in demand, and they want me to continue with them, so I know I can get in on that front. But, me and the hubby have worked our butts off the last 2 years on our degree course, I don't want to completely throw it all away (after all we're now have thousands of pounds of student debt to pay off!) and have nothing to show for it all.

So, is there anyone out there that is in a similar position? Anyone been through it and had a good outcome? All I really need to know is if there is any recognition at all? If I take my HND qualification now, I know I would have a back-up qualification for the UK if I ever came back, but I don't want to feel like I have no hope with it in Oz and not be able to continue my passion without having to restart it all and get into more debt to achieve it over there.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Counselling Qualifications recognised in Oz?

Originally Posted by LJD22
Hi,

I have 23 years of Administration experience, and I know that my skills and qualifications here would see us qualify for a Skilled Visa there, and from my emails with the immigration agents, they've told me that I would be in demand, and they want me to continue with them, so I know I can get in on that front. But, me and the hubby have worked our butts off the last 2 years on our degree course, I don't want to completely throw it all away (after all we're now have thousands of pounds of student debt to pay off!) and have nothing to show for it all.

You’re not throwing anything away … once you have a visa and arrive in Australia, you can do any job you want, you’re not restricted to the occupation you nominated. If you have solid advice that there is a pathway available, why not move forward on that basis.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul Hand
You’re not throwing anything away … once you have a visa and arrive in Australia, you can do any job you want, you’re not restricted to the occupation you nominated. If you have solid advice that there is a pathway available, why not move forward on that basis.
really?! Don’t they check-up on you once you’re in? Sorry if I sound nieve, but I am literally new to the whole visa process! So, if I went in as a medical administrator and didn’t like the job, company or the location, I would be free to change to say a well-being practitioner? ☺️
Old Sep 1st 2022, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJD22
really?! Don’t they check-up on you once you’re in? Sorry if I sound nieve, but I am literally new to the whole visa process! So, if I went in as a medical administrator and didn’t like the job, company or the location, I would be free to change to say a well-being practitioner? ☺️

Absolutely! You don’t even need to have a job to like in the first place. You may have some geographical restrictions depending on which visa you were granted.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul Hand
Absolutely! You don’t even need to have a job to like in the first place. You may have some geographical restrictions depending on which visa you were granted.
So which Visa could I look at? I’ve been looking at the skilled list/sponsored visas (I think it’s 190/482?). If I move over there I’m going all in, I want to be out there forever! I’m scared by the sound of the Visas that only last 2 or 3 years. I have a young family and I didn’t need/want the worry that we may have to come back to the UK. I know you will have that until you get PR/citizenship etc. but I want as much stability for my girls as possible until then.