Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Travelling overseas while citizenship app being processed

Travelling overseas while citizenship app being processed

Old May 12th 2014, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling overseas while citizenship app being processed

Having been here for 4 years as PR's we just put in our citizenship app - quick question, do we need to do anything if we travel overseas while the app is being processed? We're good with re-entry permits on our PR but do we need to inform DIAC if we're travelling?

Cheers!

EDIT: Google is my friend!

"Travelling before your ceremony
You cannot get an Australian passport until you have made the pledge and officially become an Australian citizen.

If you need to travel outside Australia after you have been approved for citizenship but before your ceremony, you must travel on your current passport. This will not affect your ability to attend your ceremony or become an Australian citizen.

Before you depart you must ensure you have a visa that allows you to re-enter Australia for your ceremony. If the travel validity period on you permanent visa has expired, or is about to expire, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa.

If you do plan to travel outside Australia before your ceremony, please let us know. Contact the Citizenship Information Line.
Telephone: 131 880 between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm Monday to Friday."

Last edited by freebo; May 12th 2014 at 1:25 am.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling overseas while citizenship app being processed

Originally Posted by freebo
Having been here for 4 years as PR's we just put in our citizenship app - quick question, do we need to do anything if we travel overseas while the app is being processed? We're good with re-entry permits on our PR but do we need to inform DIAC if we're travelling?
Hi Freebo,

We have just gone through the online application and as I am travelling back to the U.K. in early June , I put the travel dates in the application in the relevant section.

I put the application in 2 1/2 weeks ago and had the interview / test last Tuesday. At the interview, the lady explained that the reason they ask about overseas travel is two-fold:

1) so that they don't schedule you for an citizenship appointment / test or ceremony whilst you are away. If you did an online application and nominated an email address, you should get an email notifying you of your citizenship appointment / test date. In my case, I received this 3-4 days after applying and uploading all documents.

2) Depending on when you are going away, to allow some time between the ceremony and departure date to allow you to get an Aussie passport (your current visa will normally be cancelled within a couple of days of giving the Pledge at the ceremony).

Your application can't be progressed while you are away, but it is probably a good idea to notify DIBP if you know your travel plans anyway.

Last edited by Rhubarb65; May 12th 2014 at 1:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 12th 2014, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys do you see any problems with Travel once Application is approved? Its mentioned in the Wiki thread "Australian Citizenship-Travel during Application" http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ng_Application that "Longer trips may be a problem."

I want to go out and stay with spouse as we are living separately at the moment for my citizenship and my spouses PR. Now after citizenship approval, I want to go to my home country and live with my spouse and will come for ceremony. Do you guys see any problem doing that?
Old May 13th 2014, 12:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's also possible to do your citizenship ceremony outside Australia at an Australian diplomatic mission if that helps anyone.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BritInParis, That was our hope, but the person at test told me its not possible and I have to take ceremony in Australia only. Is there anything else I can try to get ceremony at an Australian Embassy abroad?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's also possible to do your citizenship ceremony outside Australia at an Australian diplomatic mission if that helps anyone.