Traveling (801 visa)

Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:30 am
Just Joined

retep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling (801 visa)

Hi

I am a citizen of Australia, my wife is a permanent resident (offshore Subclass 300 visa -> Onshore 820 visa -> 801 visa, which allows to travel to / from Australia for about 4.5 years from now)

Does it mean that if I travel overseas with my wife, then I should return within 4.5 years? Or is there any way to prolong this 4.5 years without having problems with my wife's visa when we return?

(Actually, it is pretty theoretical question at the moment, I just try to think what I can do in future)

Any ideas are highly appreciated
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:36 am
Just Joined

retep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Traveling (801 visa)

Update: I think it is what I need:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Australian Citizenship - Spouses & Partners with Permanent Visas

* If you are the spouse or partner of an Australian citizen and have a permanent visa, time outside Australia may count for Australian citizenship provided you maintain a "close and continuing association" with Australia.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi..._apply/spouse/

However, you may be eligible for a variation to the residence requirement. This means the time you spent overseas while a permanent resident may be counted as time spent in Australia, providing you can demonstrate a close connection to Australia.

The only question that I have: "demonstrate a close connection to Australia". What could it be in this situation?

Last edited by retep; Jul 24th 2010 at 9:46 am.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling (801 visa)

Originally Posted by retep
The only question that I have: "demonstrate a close connection to Australia". What could it be in this situation?
From the Australian Citizenship Instructions:

Policy is that this discretion would usually only be exercised if the applicant was overseas with their Australian citizen spouse or de facto partner.

Factors that may contribute to a close and continuing association with Australia include:

- Australian citizen children
- length of relationship with Australian citizen spouse or de facto partner
- extended family in Australia
- return visits to Australia
- periods of residence in Australia
- intention to reside in Australia
- employment in Australia (eg public or private sector)
- ownership of property in Australia
- evidence of income tax payment in Australia and
- current bank accounts in Australia.

Or anything else similar.