Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Silver Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Hi George, thanks for all the info. you supply, it is very helpful.
My OH is a carpenter and has no on paper qualifications so I think pathway E could well be an option for us, do you happen to know if he came to Oz and took an exam then we could still apply for the Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)? Or maybe he could do an exam in the UK (we live in Holland) and this would suffice?
Thanks for any more info. you have.
Abi

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Everyone,

Yes, this comes as a shock. The decision to refuse to determine applications already in processing unless already the subject of a primary refusal makes me think that they have had legal advice that what they're doing is not supported by the legislation; and if it's any reassurance I would say that 90% of Pathway D applicants from the UK could claim pathways B or C if they thought carefully about documenting the formal training they've had. The impact of this will be felt most keenly among applicants from India - where there have been many Pathway D applications - and other less well documented countries. Training courses will no doubt spring up in those places overnight.

And there's always Pathway E - for which you could obtain an Australian Certificate III through assessment only and show four years of relevant work experience.

I'd suggest that anyone likely to be affected by this seek the advice of an experienced agent - I'm happy to refer on electrical, auto and metal trades, applicants for example, as well as your standard chippies, sparkies, cooks etc; and of course compared to this the Vetassess approach suddenly sounds more attractive.

Also important to note that the 457 to PR route won't be affected by this decision, so this will be a boon for recruiting firms.

Finally, Gina and Danny can you email me please?

The full operative part of the TRA statement is as follows:

Until further notice TRA will no longer accept applications that predominantly rely on evidence
of work experience and would normally be assessed under Skill Pathway D of the UAC.
Effective immediately, Skill Pathway D has been removed from the UAC. All applications TRA
has received to date and not finalised, which predominantly rely on evidence of work
experience and would normally be assessed under Skill Pathway D, will be returned along with
the application fee. Until 30 September 2007 any subsequent applications received by TRA
will also be returned with the application fee.
Applications received on or after 1 October 2007 will be assessed by TRA against the UAC,
exclusive of the former Skill Pathway D, and the standard fee will apply.
TRA will assess all applications against the following skill pathways that require applicants to
have formal training and work experience:
Skill Pathway A: Formal apprenticeship
Skill Pathway B: Informal apprenticeship
Skill Pathway C: Vocational traineeship
Skill Pathway E: Australian qualification
The full requirements for each Skill Pathway are defined in the UAC (refer TRA Website)
Any applications already accepted and assessed by TRA under Skill Pathway D will be eligible
for an internal review against the requirements of Skill Pathway D as formerly detailed in the
UAC. This review must be requested within 60 days of the date of an applicant’s letter from
TRA advising that the original application was unsuccessful.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

hey all

just wondering will i be ok. have done 4 years apprenticeship have 23 city&guilds and have worked in the one job for 16 years.

do i just need to get a cert from the college???

thanks guys
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

the actual tra form was last updated in dec 06 does anyone know if they are going to update this form?

by looking at the existing form i think i may have found a way possible for us to apply
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:39 pm
wee irish girl

gabb9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gina and danny
the actual tra form was last updated in dec 06 does anyone know if they are going to update this form?

by looking at the existing form i think i may have found a way possible for us to apply
Hi Gina&Danny,
PLease share what you found
Ger
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gabb9
Hi Gina&Danny,
PLease share what you found
Ger
i meant if you have done a apprentaship that has no qualification in uk ( on the job training)like locksmith, you fill in part 4 on the tra it only asks for the name of the registration assement authority(if applicable)
its the if applicable bit that caught my eye as you could fill part 4 in as apprentiship with the bosses details of who taught you then where it says qualification receved you fully trained and competent locksmith(fill in with your own occupation)

then when you attach the proof and details of successful apprentaship you attach a letter from your boss stating you did inhouse apprentaship on letterheaded paper detailing what the apprentaship entailed how many hours a week you did for etc.

then get anither letter from the same person stating that inhouse apprentaships have to be done by the employer as there is no formal qualificationa available to undertake in the uk.

i am gonna ring tra tonight and ask them so if anyone has the full telephone number inc dialling code i would like that as i always seem to get them wrong

well just waiting for someone to shoot me down from my high now as i have probably overlooked something major
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

stue116 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi My hubby is a locksmith too, we can't get hold of our agent. i'm so gutted we sent our tra off last friday, so bound to come back. like you say earlier how can they put it on MODL one week and do this the next :curse:
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

To everyone who has recently submitted don't give up yet!

My TRA assessment was only sent 10th August, signed for at TRA on the 14th but I have already had a reply so they have done my assessment really quickly(well I think so anyway).

Unfortunately I failed my TRA on one minor point and a request of more details about training 13 years ago when I first started with my company. I have had several promotions over the years and concentrated in detail on the last 7 years.
My agents were very surprised that my assessment was rejected but at least I can appeal (and pay another AU$300!) submitting the info requested.

With any luck there will more people who have recently submitted their TRA's getting an answer yes or no; at least this gets over the problem of the removal of the pathway 'D' assessment.
Johnnyyt
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone
We have been gathering all of our info for the TRA nearly ready to send it all off but my oh cannot find his apprentiship papers. we only have refernces and stat decs confirming this and some other city and guilds certs will this be enough with the new changes he has 15 years experience as a toolmaker. Will we still be ok with out them
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:28 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
To everyone who has recently submitted don't give up yet!

My TRA assessment was only sent 10th August, signed for at TRA on the 14th but I have already had a reply so they have done my assessment really quickly(well I think so anyway).

Unfortunately I failed my TRA on one minor point and a request of more details about training 13 years ago when I first started with my company. I have had several promotions over the years and concentrated in detail on the last 7 years.
My agents were very surprised that my assessment was rejected but at least I can appeal (and pay another AU$300!) submitting the info requested.

With any luck there will more people who have recently submitted their TRA's getting an answer yes or no; at least this gets over the problem of the removal of the pathway 'D' assessment.
Johnnyyt
Hi Everyone,

The latest suggestion, which seems to make sense, is that TRA is stopping Pathway D temporarily while it sets up a trade test requirement and appropriate fee structure for that. Still no word on how long the wait may be or what alternatives there are, but I expect that further information will be available on Monday.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

just received this from tra

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

If you have not completed a formal or informal apprenticeship, a vocational traineeship or an Australian Qualification, TRA is unable to assess you in accordance with the new changes to the UAC.

Over the next few months TRA will be considering options for recognising the skills of potential migrants who do not meet the requirements outlined in the amended UAC.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by gina and danny
just received this from tra

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

If you have not completed a formal or informal apprenticeship, a vocational traineeship or an Australian Qualification, TRA is unable to assess you in accordance with the new changes to the UAC.

Over the next few months TRA will be considering options for recognising the skills of potential migrants who do not meet the requirements outlined in the amended UAC.

I did not think this affected me but my agent say it maybe does,i am a pipefitter but am trying to get tra as a metal fabricator(boilermaker)
I did not to an apprenticeship but a tranieeship when i was 19yrs old did this for 3 years with the company i worked with and ecitb(engineering construction trainining board) with this i went to college and did on job training and after i completed my training at the end i had craft cert and also nvq level 3 in pipefitting.
I also have ace card thing like a nvq.

Also before i did the above i was working with an engineering company and did a yts for a few years as a mechanical engineer again with cert of my training,also have cert for welding.

I also have a few certs about my training and what modules i covered while doing training as a pipefitter both on job and off job.

Why would this affect me also,i thought it was just a thing if people dont or cant prove the was trained,i have lots of paper work i did,yes maybe not as a metal fabricator but i been told its one thats best matched my job.
I am confused about this now.

What bugs me is i have one more bit of paper to get certified and sent back to my agent and he has everything he needs to send off to tra,now this has happened have i something to worry about?

I have paid all these fees to get this far and also the hard work of getting all the stuff required to get the tra,i was maybe i pass maybe not before,but now i am thinking maybe this is all a wasted time and have no chance,my agent says to send him the bit of paper he needs and see how we go.

I cant beleive this country and how they work,my skills are in demand everywhere and even in oz where on a working holiday i found work so easy,but they give you this hassle to get what you want and then this without any warning,surely the likes of me about to send my stuff in and after all i have done to get this far they surely cant get away with this.

what do you think about the above,i thought i had nothing to worry about or did not even know about it,until someone mentioned it and i emailed my agent,who thinks it sucks also,all i want is my tra,but if i dont now what do i do now as in trying to get my dream and also the money i have paid out for help from my agent to get this far,its a complete joke all this.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:41 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
I cant beleive this country and how they work,my skills are in demand everywhere and even in oz where on a working holiday i found work so easy,but they give you this hassle to get what you want and then this without any warning,surely the likes of me about to send my stuff in and after all i have done to get this far they surely cant get away with this.
well, its their country and they can do what they like!!!
it was suggested earlier on in this thread that they were doing this to weed out bogus references ... seems a case of the minority spoiling it for the majority yet again. and if that seems unfair, and they should let just anyone in, aus would end up with all manner of migrants just coming over and taking the jobs ... kinda like britain, dont you think?

you need to have some patience ... mr lombard has suggested the changes may be while the sort out a new system of assessment, if thats the case then surely your agent will hold off submitting your skills until he is confident you would pass (which, btw seems a pretty solid skills assessmetn you are submitting).

chill out, sit back and admire the scenery ... whats meant to be will be, and it will happen when the time is right.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Now I am really confused about what line to take.......

I may have to start looking at employer sponsorship now.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:12 am
Just Joined

farrukhzeeshan is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Register a complaint to Ombudsman against TRA.

http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/commonwe...B?EditDocument

I have past experiences with them, they quickly resolve the issues and most of the time in favor of the complainant.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:02 am
Just Joined

vivivio is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the new criteria for self-employer if the pathway D was remove?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.