TRA Skills Assessment

Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:54 pm
get me to perth

dcampbell has a spectacular aura aboutdcampbell has a spectacular aura aboutdcampbell has a spectacular aura about
Default TRA Skills Assessment

Hi everyone

New to these forums, this is my first post. My husband and I are applying for Skilled Independant visa (sub 175) My husband has got to apply for skills assessment by Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) . He is a vehicle painter which is on MODL. The thing we are lost about is, ity says we have to

a) provide proof of training/apprenticeship/traineeship

I assume his qualification certificates are sufficent for this bit?

b)detailed proof of relevant work experience.

This is the one - is it for the last X amount of years, or every job he has had? two of the employers he had before 2002 have closed down and they are the ones he worked for while he was an apprentice, although he still attended the college so could they do the references? As we have no idea how we would contact the closed business holders, one of them was bankrupt so he prob wouldnt want to hear from us anyway! Is it references he has to provide detailing all his duties, how long he's been there etc? hes been with same people now for 4 years. Is it only needed for the years he was fully qualified? or apprentice as well? Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks in advance peeps

Denise xxxx
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:46 am
get me to perth

dcampbell has a spectacular aura aboutdcampbell has a spectacular aura aboutdcampbell has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TRA Skills Assessment

Anyone help?xx

denise x
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dcampbell
Hi everyone

New to these forums, this is my first post. My husband and I are applying for Skilled Independant visa (sub 175) My husband has got to apply for skills assessment by Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) . He is a vehicle painter which is on MODL. The thing we are lost about is, ity says we have to

This is the one - is it for the last X amount of years, or every job he has had? two of the employers he had before 2002 have closed down and they are the ones he worked for while he was an apprentice, although he still attended the college so could they do the references? As we have no idea how we would contact the closed business holders, one of them was bankrupt so he prob wouldnt want to hear from us anyway! Is it references he has to provide detailing all his duties, how long he's been there etc? hes been with same people now for 4 years. Is it only needed for the years he was fully qualified? or apprentice as well? Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks in advance peeps

Denise xxxx
When we applied I provided the following:

All G&G qualifications
Certs from the training college
Reference from his old boss detailing his apprentiship training
References from his last job (which covered 7 years).
Payslips from various intervals and also a few p60's

If you don't have contacts from some companies because they have shut down then I believe you can submit a statutory declaration to cover these periods.

The apprentiship references are pretty important though, so if you can get hold of any kind of evidence that would be a lot better for you - maybe someone else who worked there in a senior position? We just had one that wasn't available (from the agency my OH got his last job from) but they had closed down so his Manager wrote him a reference stating that he employed my OH through them, which did the trick.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

Hi, OH experience was a bit of the same, a couple of the co's had closed down and so forth.
We also found it quite hard because in Oz eyes he had to be a trainee for 4 years for TRA and then a further 3 years fully qualified for immigration!!

We had our first tra assessment turned down - we didn't show the tranisition from trainee to fully qualified etc etc, in the end we used Visa go to help us and it was returned successful. The refs we had to get were so indepth they were like 7 pages long, going into every job and detail that oh does!!

If unsure I would call an agent, they will discuss your situation without expecting you to take their services, Darren Chatt (Visa go) was excellant.

Any more questions please let me know
Fiona
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Im using Darrens services just now and im impressed with his knowledge.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:25 pm
get me to perth

thanks for the replies. Does darren not charge you for asking him this stuff?xx
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

No.

When you go see him (if you do) you pay a small fee which will be returned if you go ahead with his services. Only fair really
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

I'm not local to him and we spoke for ages on the telephone, me asking many questions!!

I suppose that he feels that if he helps you and guides you in the right place you will feel that you trust him and will be happy to use his agency.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

qwerty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Basty
We also found it quite hard because in Oz eyes he had to be a trainee for 4 years for TRA and then a further 3 years fully qualified for immigration!!
That's not very good news to my ears! I am qualified in this trade but completed my apprenticeship, moved to another employer as a fully qualified trade’s person and then left after 1 year. I have been out of the trade for 10 years!

I think I have a better chance of hell freezing over
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwerty
That's not very good news to my ears! I am qualified in this trade but completed my apprenticeship, moved to another employer as a fully qualified trade’s person and then left after 1 year. I have been out of the trade for 10 years!

I think I have a better chance of hell freezing over
Hi,,sorry but if you are going in under skilled 175 visa you have to be employed for the last 3 out of 4 years I believe - don't quote me on that - it may be only to gain extra points if needed. You may be young enough not to need the extra points!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dcampbell
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance peeps

Denise xxxx
Denise,

Get as much info as possible

For my TRA I had to send certified copies of all trade certificates, letters from ALL my previous employers stating when I worked there and what position I held and a detailed explanation of the duties carried out.

If any of the companies have closed or anything you can self certify but it is best to get in touch with them if you can.

I also had to send a detailed list of what hours I worked as an apprentice for how long..also what college hours I also did as an apprentice......Basically you have to proove that you did so many hours of training - (I think you need 900 hours of formal training)

Also write down a detailed description of position held within all companies and a fully detailed list of all duties carried out - put as much info in as possible detailing everything you do and what tools etc were used.

If you want I can pm you the lists I sent off to our agent
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

bickpicka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markandgill
Denise,

Get as much info as possible

For my TRA I had to send certified copies of all trade certificates, letters from ALL my previous employers stating when I worked there and what position I held and a detailed explanation of the duties carried out.

If any of the companies have closed or anything you can self certify but it is best to get in touch with them if you can.

I also had to send a detailed list of what hours I worked as an apprentice for how long..also what college hours I also did as an apprentice......Basically you have to proove that you did so many hours of training - (I think you need 900 hours of formal training)

Also write down a detailed description of position held within all companies and a fully detailed list of all duties carried out - put as much info in as possible detailing everything you do and what tools etc were used.

If you want I can pm you the lists I sent off to our agent
hi

My partner has a Ba(Hons) Degree in Marketing Design which he did 5 years ago. He has been working as an artworker for 2 years, doing everything that is required for the graphics pre-press.

We are hoping to come out on a 175 visa under Graphics Pre-press trade.

We have a few questions as we are confused by the terms used on the immi website.

Does his Marketing Design degree amount for anything? As he did cover graphics design.

He hasnt done any formal training/apprenticship apart from his degree and when we want to apply, he will have 3 years under his belt - does this class as substanstial work experience as classed on the immi website??
On the website it says ...
..."TRA’s uniform assessment criteria requires you to demonstrate skills, knowledge and experience equivalent to an Australian apprenticed-trained tradesperson. If you have no formal training in your trade, substantial work experience may be acceptable".

Could you also confirm how many years work experience he actually needs as again, its not quite clear, is it 2 years or 3 years?

Also does he need to stay in his present job before applying, (where he has only be for 2 years), or could he get another artworking/graphic designer job?

All help gratefully appreciated!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bickpicka
hi

My partner has a Ba(Hons) Degree in Marketing Design which he did 5 years ago. He has been working as an artworker for 2 years, doing everything that is required for the graphics pre-press.

We are hoping to come out on a 175 visa under Graphics Pre-press trade.

We have a few questions as we are confused by the terms used on the immi website.

Does his Marketing Design degree amount for anything? As he did cover graphics design.

He hasnt done any formal training/apprenticship apart from his degree and when we want to apply, he will have 3 years under his belt - does this class as substanstial work experience as classed on the immi website??
On the website it says ...
..."TRA’s uniform assessment criteria requires you to demonstrate skills, knowledge and experience equivalent to an Australian apprenticed-trained tradesperson. If you have no formal training in your trade, substantial work experience may be acceptable".

Could you also confirm how many years work experience he actually needs as again, its not quite clear, is it 2 years or 3 years?

Also does he need to stay in his present job before applying, (where he has only be for 2 years), or could he get another artworking/graphic designer job?

All help gratefully appreciated!
Hi I'm not sure with your trade.........But for mine - electrician - the route has now been closed for people with experience but no formal trade qualifications.

As I said I am not sure whether this will apply to you or not - hopefully someone else on here can help - maybe try and get some advice off an agent .......I can reccommend ours..........he will assess your position and advise you whether or not you will qualify........He will not charge you for this first bit.........only if you wish him to commence your application will you be billed.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

bickpicka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi I'm not sure with your trade.........But for mine - electrician - the route has now been closed for people with experience but no formal trade qualifications.

As I said I am not sure whether this will apply to you or not - hopefully someone else on here can help - maybe try and get some advice off an agent .......I can reccommend ours..........he will assess your position and advise you whether or not you will qualify........He will not charge you for this first bit.........only if you wish him to commence your application will you be billed.
Thank you!! But you have scared me a little now! I hope it will be OK! What is your agents name? might be worth having a word!!

is anyone else able to advise on my situation?!

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bickpicka
Thank you!! But you have scared me a little now! I hope it will be OK! What is your agents name? might be worth having a word!!

is anyone else able to advise on my situation?!

Thanks!
Sorry to scare you..........Hopefully it won't affect you.

Will send you a pm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.