Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

TRA Skills Ass App - Metal Fabricator/Plater

TRA Skills Ass App - Metal Fabricator/Plater

Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA Skills Ass App - Metal Fabricator/Plater

Hi All

Very new to this site. My husband and I desperately want to move to Brisbane, my sis moved out there over 10 yrs ago and she loves it. At the moment we are completing the TRA app for Migration Skills Assessment but my hubby not great with things like that and I dont know anything about his work. Anyway, on the form it asks for a list of Vocational Qualifications gained, which was fine, it then asks the name of the Training Institute - now we arent sure whether this should be the college he attended or the actual body who grant the qualifications (EAL). Also, re the Description of Work part, is it necessary to put down absolutely every tool he has used?? Should it be list form or in proper sentences and paragraphs?? We want to make it right because obviously we want it to be approved! Any advice on this would be fab, cheers.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

daddyoconnor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TRA Skills Ass App - Metal Fabricator/Plater

Hi

I am also quite new to this site. We are at the same stage as yourself.

My husband is also a Welder and we have just sent off his application (2nd Jan) after about 2 months trying desperately to get all relevent information. We are awaiting a response so maybe the following won't be of any use (as we may have done it incorrectly) however here goes.

For the training institute (his quals were City and Guilds whcih were awarded by a London Institute) however he carried out the training in Bordon whilst he was in the army, so we put down the name and address of the training establishment in Bordon, as the Institue on the certificate does not give address details etc and they do ask for this on the application.

As for the tools etc he did give a general list of tools used in his recent work, however he has been in his trade for 24 years, so he hasn't listed every single tool over that time. I think however he should list any tools that he is able to remeber as probalbuy the more information the better - well thats what i gather from reading responses on this forum.

We haven't quite decided which state we want to move to yet, but Queensland is high on the list. We plan to go the 176 State Sponsor Route - Take it you are going the Family Sponsored route?

Please let me know how you get on and when you send off your application.

Thanks
Amanda
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Hi
When you do the work experience, put down as much as you can remember. Mine was five A4 pages I think going back from when I was an apprentice in training school which was 25 years back. The most important thing is the training he received and the work experience he has had in his trade.
Write everything as though you are telling someone who has no idea, as they are looking at how much he knows about his trade. Might sound stupid telling someone you know how to sharpen a drill bit, but the more detail the better.
Tell them which machinery he has used, what he used it for etc. etc.
It is mind numbingly boring and seems to take for ever but make sure you do it because you need it right first time.

Best of luck.

Chris.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor
Hi

My husband is also a Welder and we have just sent off his application (2nd Jan) after about 2 months trying desperately to get all relevent information. We are awaiting a response so maybe the following won't be of any use (as we may have done it incorrectly) however here goes.

Amanda
good luck, let us know what happens! we are posting ours off on Wed!!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Will do Anne,

Is your husband a Welder too? What Visa are you hoping to go on? Where to?

Amanda

P.S Have you manged to get your International Cheque? I know a lot of people were going on about how much this was costing. I am with both Lloyds TSB and Abbey. Lloyds wanted £25 to get one from them. Abbey only charged us £10 but we had to order it - took about a week although this was over the Christmas week......
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

he is applying as a fitter (mech maintenance)... but has both degree and trade, ....so fingers crossed.
Re - the cheque we ordered it from Co-op bank for £15 and it took 2 working days (posted to us...)
We are planning to apply early Feb - 176 (WA sponsored) or 175 - online - and you?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

hi Anne

Well hopefully if TRA comes back okay, we are looking for state sponsorship - not sure where yet. We are probably looking at Queensland or WA. Need to do a bit more research....

Anyway keep in touch and let me know how things are going. Is it tommorrow you send off TRA application?
Amanda
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:11 am
Reg. Migration Agent

SD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really nice

Hello All,
A TRA application can be quite tricky. You will need certified copies of all your 'formal' (C&G, NVQ, BTEC) qualifications as well as list of subjects passed that made up the qualification.

It is very important to provide a good 'skills transition' (training) reference as well as detailed work references. You also need to be able to provide proof to back up any references (P60's, contracts of employment, letters of offer etc) Ensure that all your dates are correct and add up to the minimum required for your 'pathway'.

You should ensure that you get 2 copies of all this documentation as you will need it all again for your visa application!

I hope this helps - feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, thats helped. We're just going to put down absolutely everything that he has done. He has worked with the same company who put him through his apprenticeship almost 10 yrs ago, so all references will be from the same company. I hope this is a plus point and shows that he is reliable rather than a negative. We will be going for the 175 visa when hopefully the TRA comes back all approved. Ive also read on some threads that it is possible to go on a Working Holiday Visa whilst waiting for Migration one to be approved. This will be fine for my hubby, ive already had a WHV and was actually planning on going to Uni when we get to Oz so therefore was thinking of applying for a student visa instead of another WHV. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this is generally ok to do?
Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:04 am
Reg. Migration Agent

SD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really nice

Hello Mrs Tiv,
It is fine to come to Australia on a WHV or tourist visa while your PR visa is being processed. Your hubbie could come on a WHV (as long as he is less than 31) and you could come on a long stay tourist visa (SC676) you wouldn't be allowed to work on this. The student visa is also an option but could be quite expensive - courses are typically between $10,000 and $20,000 per year. If you got a student visa then your partner could come on that but would only be able to work 20 hours per week (as would you during term time and full time during holidays).
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SD_MOA
Hello Mrs Tiv,
It is fine to come to Australia on a WHV or tourist visa while your PR visa is being processed. Your hubbie could come on a WHV (as long as he is less than 31) and you could come on a long stay tourist visa (SC676) you wouldn't be allowed to work on this. The student visa is also an option but could be quite expensive - courses are typically between $10,000 and $20,000 per year. If you got a student visa then your partner could come on that but would only be able to work 20 hours per week (as would you during term time and full time during holidays).
Hi
Thanks for that. I done a lot of reading up on things last night and found out the same. I was thinking of going over on a Student Visa but the fees are really high and dont know if we could afford it. My sister stays in Brisbane and we would be able to stay with her for as long as we needed to which would definately help the situation. I was thinking of applying for a Uni course as an international student, hopefully getting a place. Then if it looked as though the PR was going to take a long time to come through (hubbys trade on the new critical list so hope it would be quick) I would apply for a student visa and him a WHV. However, I read that if a PR visa is granted then the uni place awarded as an international student would be taken away, although if I was entitled to a Commonwealth supported place then I would be able to apply for HECS-HELP which would help with my tuition fees until I was qualified. Can you advise if I was to get a PR visa then would I still be able to get a place at uni with my Scottish exam results as I read that you would need to have the same qualifications as an Australian citizen if you have a PR visa.?? Sorry if you are confused.
Leanne
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:08 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Hello Leanne,
My knowledge of the university entry requirments for PR's is not that great. I would suggest contacting the International Student Advisor at the uni where you are thinking of enrolling.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SD_MOA
Hello Leanne,
My knowledge of the university entry requirments for PR's is not that great. I would suggest contacting the International Student Advisor at the uni where you are thinking of enrolling.
I ended up phoning the uni last night but still didnt get very far, will get my sister to check up on it since she is in Oz - it will be easier that way
Thanks again