Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

TRA - Skill Pathway D Affected Tradies - Workplace Assessments

TRA - Skill Pathway D Affected Tradies - Workplace Assessments

Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

carlos73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TRA - Skill Pathway D Affected Tradies - Workplace Assessments

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
We are in discussions presently with TAFEs in Australia about workplace assessments being carried out in Australia for certain occupations. In turn this should facilitate an AQF Certificate III qualification (recognised by employers in Australia => increased employment prospects) and a positive skills assessment from Trades Recognition Australia under Skill Pathway E.

We anticipate that the process would involve individuals with trades skills carrying out an initial assessment of their existing competencies while outside Australia. Assuming all (or substantially all) of these competency requirements can be met individuals would then travel to Australia when a practical assessment would be carried out.

Recognising that Australian qualifications are often not the same as UK qualifications any gaps in competencies that are not major would also be dealt with at that time, perhaps requiring an additional 2 or 3 days of tuition prior to the granting of the AQF III.

Costs of this exercise are not yet finalised, but are likely to be significantly less than those being quoted by workplace assessors visiting the UK.

I would be pleased to hear from individuals with one of the following occupations, who would like to receive more information as we progress discussions with the TAFEs:

- Painters and decorators
- Plasterers
- Hairdressers
- Chefs
- Welders

I can be reached by email via alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com

Best regards.
Hi Alan
I am also a solid plasterer with nvq level 3. Would be most gratefull of any info.
Thanx Carl
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Those who would like to receive details should please send me an email (alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com) so we can add you to our database and keep you informed of progress with the workplace assessment/Skill Pathway E strategy.

Best regards.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I am usually of the view that if you can take the initiative with the migration process you should do so, unless there is a financial reason to the contrary. We have been waiting for TRA to introduce a replacement for Skill Pathway D for more than 6 months already - if a replacement comes in soon that would be great, but I am not holding my breath waiting.

In addition, the outcome of the Australian workplace assessment process would be an AQF Certificate III qualification. If nothing else this would give your husband a qualification that would be recognised by Australian employers.

As to timeframes: it is too early to comment on this until we have progressed our discussions. Indeed, even then it wouldn't be possible to be specific because I cannot predict what competency areas might be lacking in your husband's case - the more gaps that exist the longer he might have to spend at the TAFE completing relevant components.

Unless you want a long holiday (of several months) I do not foresee an option of you all travelling to Australia while the subsequent TRA and visa applications are in progress. Once the proposed workplace assessment has been attended and AQF III issued you would be looking at the same timeline as others who have lodged an application for an offshore skilled visa (subclass 175, etc).

Best regards.
Hi Alan,

I read on the London Expo thread that the DIAC confirmed that the TRA would make a decision on the Pathway D issue this July. And that was from the horses mouth from the DIAC at the London Expo.

Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:51 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Janna.

I'll still believe it when I see it. TRA originally said they would be making a decision "early in the New Year".

Remember also that TRA sits in a different Ministerial area of responsibility - I believe TRA is within the remit of the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations (DEWR), which is one of the many areas overseen by Deputy PM Julia Gillard. I'm not sure on the extent to which there is an open exchange of views between DIAC and DEWR ...

Best regards.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Amarinder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Hi Alan,

I read on the London Expo thread that the DIAC confirmed that the TRA would make a decision on the Pathway D issue this July. And that was from the horses mouth from the DIAC at the London Expo.

Dear Janna and Nick

This is a good news which we people are waiting for a long time. It will be highly appreciated if you could tell us that on which web site you have read that DIAC Confirmed that TRA would make a decision on the pathway d issue this july.

Thanks

Amarinder
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amarinder
Dear Janna and Nick

This is a good news which we people are waiting for a long time. It will be highly appreciated if you could tell us that on which web site you have read that DIAC Confirmed that TRA would make a decision on the pathway d issue this july.

Thanks

Amarinder
Hi Amarinder,

I read it on the BE forum. There was an Expo run by the Australian Government in London over the weekend which my husband attended. Someone else who attended asked the DIAC about the TRA pathway D and the DIAC confirmed that the TRA would make the decision then. That's all I can say I'm afraid!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

AngelaHill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to anyone who can help,

I'm a hairdresser me and my husband have just started our visa. I have a sponsor in western Aus in Exmouth. But getting mixed up now about the changes for the skills points. My qualifications are below. Do i now not have the right ones.

Regards,

Angela.

ENGLISH LITERATURE GCSE - B (b) 1992
ENGLISH GCSE - B (b) 1992
ART & DESIGN GCSE - C (c) 1992
GEOGRAPHY GCSE - C (c) 1992
MATHEMATICS GCSE - D (d) 1992
FRENCH GCSE - E (e) 1992
BUSINESS STUDIES GCSE - D (d) 1992
THE SCIENCES : DOUBLE AWARD GCSE - E (e) 1992

SOUTH EAST DERBYSHIRE COLLEGE

DESIGN (media foundation) GRADE - B (b) 1993
ART AND DESIGN (photography) GRADE - C (c) 1993

CITY & GUILDS

NATIONAL VOCATIONAL QUALIFICATION HAIRDRESSING - LEVEL 2 1996
DIPLOMA - SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL - 1995
DIPLOMA - PERM - 1996
DIPLOMA - COLOUR 1996
Old Mar 21st 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all
Question Re: TRA - Skill Pathway D Affected Tradies - Workplace Assessments

My boyfriend is a Welder with 10 years experience, but no formal qualifications. We are currently awaiting feedback from the TRA regarding pathway D.

He has been offered a welding job in Samford Valley, but we are waiting to see if the employer will sponsor us for 12 months until our visa is completed.

I'd be interested to know if you think your option would benefit us and maybe speed up the process of getting to Brisbane?

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:50 pm
ARGH! TRA Pathway D!

Joosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nicrock
My boyfriend is a Welder with 10 years experience, but no formal qualifications. We are currently awaiting feedback from the TRA regarding pathway D.

He has been offered a welding job in Samford Valley, but we are waiting to see if the employer will sponsor us for 12 months until our visa is completed.

I'd be interested to know if you think your option would benefit us and maybe speed up the process of getting to Brisbane?

Thanks
If we can get employer sponsorship does that mean we don't have to worry about TRA and pathway D/proving skills etc? (I'm talking specifically about plastering in QLD, and we're 32)
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:35 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by AngelaHill
Hi to anyone who can help,

I'm a hairdresser me and my husband have just started our visa. I have a sponsor in western Aus in Exmouth. But getting mixed up now about the changes for the skills points. My qualifications are below. Do i now not have the right ones.

Regards,

Angela.

ENGLISH LITERATURE GCSE - B (b) 1992
ENGLISH GCSE - B (b) 1992
ART & DESIGN GCSE - C (c) 1992
GEOGRAPHY GCSE - C (c) 1992
MATHEMATICS GCSE - D (d) 1992
FRENCH GCSE - E (e) 1992
BUSINESS STUDIES GCSE - D (d) 1992
THE SCIENCES : DOUBLE AWARD GCSE - E (e) 1992

SOUTH EAST DERBYSHIRE COLLEGE

DESIGN (media foundation) GRADE - B (b) 1993
ART AND DESIGN (photography) GRADE - C (c) 1993

CITY & GUILDS

NATIONAL VOCATIONAL QUALIFICATION HAIRDRESSING - LEVEL 2 1996
DIPLOMA - SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL - 1995
DIPLOMA - PERM - 1996
DIPLOMA - COLOUR 1996
Can I recommend that you establish with your sponsor precisely what visa they are facilitating? The answer to this will dictate whether you need a skills assessment classification.

A subclass 457 (long term temporary) employer sponsored visa does not require a skills assessment classification. Ditto a permanent residency visa under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

A permanent residency visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme applied for from outside Australia generally does require such an assessment.

If you and/or your intended employer are unsure what is required it might be the time to speak to a competent advisor!

In case of need: http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:39 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by nicrock

Thanks
I believe that having an AQF Certificate III would give you more options. Apart from anything else it means your partner has a qualification that is recognised by Australian employers.

Whether it speeds up the migration process depends on how long TRA takes to make known the Skill Pathway D replacement. I am a believer in taking control of one's own destiny (so far as possible) so I wouldn't be hanging around waiting for TRA ...

Feel able to send me an email and I can send you more details - there's no obligation.

Best regards.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:43 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by Joosy
If we can get employer sponsorship does that mean we don't have to worry about TRA and pathway D/proving skills etc? (I'm talking specifically about plastering in QLD, and we're 32)
See the above posts ... I think they answer your question.

Best regards.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

AngelaHill is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I recommend that you establish with your sponsor precisely what visa they are facilitating? The answer to this will dictate whether you need a skills assessment classification.

A subclass 457 (long term temporary) employer sponsored visa does not require a skills assessment classification. Ditto a permanent residency visa under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

A permanent residency visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme applied for from outside Australia generally does require such an assessment.

If you and/or your intended employer are unsure what is required it might be the time to speak to a competent advisor!

In case of need: http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.
Hi Alan,

Found out that we are going on a 119 Visa not the 457. I do have a willing sponsor anyway. But my qualifications are still going to the TRA. I was going for the independant but i have not worked 20 hours i work 19 per week. The visa agent said we can go on the 119.

Kind regards,

Angela Hill.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:06 am
Migration Agent

Subclass 119 is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme => a migration skills assessment is not a requirement, but having one can help oil the wheels of the visa application.

Best regards.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Romi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan.

Can you tell me/us what visa we would need to travel to Australia on, that would allow us to participate in both the assessment, and further training (if deemed necessary)? Can this be done on a holiday visa?

Many thanks,

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.