TRA ratification bungle affecting visas

Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Lanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud of
Default TRA ratification bungle affecting visas

Hi

Did anyone else see this story in the news over the weekend? Apparently the TRA (Trades Recognition Australia) was not properly ratified as a relevant authority under the Migration Act. Skilled assessments made between 2007 an 2011 are affected and so the story reported it is believed the blunder could have profound implications for many visa applications. Chris Evans Federal Tertiary Education and Skills Minister has confirmed the bungle and also stated that steps had been taken to rectify the situation.
This has got us really worried as my husband's skilled were assessed by the TRA in 2007. we got our PR visa late 2008 and landed in Australia in Jan 09. We have been here ever since, have bought a house and are really settled.
Any thoughts, views etc gratefully received as this has really unnerved us.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA ratification bungle affecting visas

Originally Posted by Lanners
Hi

Did anyone else see this story in the news over the weekend? Apparently the TRA (Trades Recognition Australia) was not properly ratified as a relevant authority under the Migration Act. Skilled assessments made between 2007 an 2011 are affected and so the story reported it is believed the blunder could have profound implications for many visa applications. Chris Evans Federal Tertiary Education and Skills Minister has confirmed the bungle and also stated that steps had been taken to rectify the situation.
This has got us really worried as my husband's skilled were assessed by the TRA in 2007. we got our PR visa late 2008 and landed in Australia in Jan 09. We have been here ever since, have bought a house and are really settled.
Where did you see this? Have you got a link or a name of the news site it was on?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Lanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud of

Hi Pollyanna
First read it on the National section of the news on my Telstra phone. Searches on the Internet have covered the story as well and include:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226437277607

http://www-1.eurekareport.com.au/bs....Src=rab&Click=
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:45 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lanners
Hi

Yes, I saw that too. As far as I'm aware, it was dealt with in October/November last year. You have your visa now, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Where did you see this? Have you got a link or a name of the news site it was on?
I don't know which newspapers are reliable in Australia (I have my 'go to' ones in the UK! ), but I found this one with the story in.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

richie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to all

i was assessed by the TRA last summer and visa granted inj feb, we fly out end of august. This has made me a bit nervous first thing on a monday morning.
do i sit tight or try to find out whats going on?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:48 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Yes, I saw that too. As far as I'm aware, it was dealt with in October/November last year. You have your visa now, so I wouldn't be too worried.

I don't know which newspapers are reliable in Australia (I have my 'go to' ones in the UK! ), but I found this one with the story in.
Personally I treat 95% of what I read in Aussie newspapers with a pinch of salt

For something like this, if it was going to impact largen numbers of visas which have already been granted I would expect either DIAC or TRA to have guidance on their websites. I can't check much myself till i get home later though.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

richie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to allrichie penn is a name known to all

i looked on the websites and there is no mention of it. I cant believe they will trawl through 135000 applications aswell as proceeding with ongoing ones! Still, it dosnt help with the 1 month away from emigrating nerves
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

I had a look on both websites and couldn't see anything either. We only have another 5 1/2 months to go and we can apply for citizenship so I am looking towards that rather than worrying about the TRA bungle. I just didn't fancy telling the kids we would have to go back to the UK and that they would have to leave the horses, dog and cats behind!!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:39 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

TRAs competencies (or lack of) are almost legendary, but I anticipate some sort of legislative workaround - my gut feel is that only those seeking to appeal an adverse TRA outcome will be impacted (probably positively).

All others should be fine.

Best regards.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

cheers allan, i hopefully can now rest easy!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
TRAs competencies (or lack of) are almost legendary, but I anticipate some sort of legislative workaround - my gut feel is that only those seeking to appeal an adverse TRA outcome will be impacted (probably positively).

All others should be fine.

Best regards.
Thanks Alan

Another agent has also told me much the same, and there may have to be retrospective legislation eventually.
For anyone interested, the original case is here -
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/si.../2012/145.html
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone for helping to put my mind at rest, your assistance has been greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I will also point out that once a PR visa has been granted, subsequent discovery of a procedural irregularity would not normally void the visa.

The Minister would have to take steps to cancel the visa, which I doubt would happen.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
I will also point out that once a PR visa has been granted, subsequent discovery of a procedural irregularity would not normally void the visa.

The Minister would have to take steps to cancel the visa, which I doubt would happen.
Oh that is music to my ears