TRA- Electricians

Old Dec 4th 2004, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA- Electricians

(Applying under skilled independent) How did you go about putting together your assessment for the TRA?

So far we've got together:
CV
Old tax returns and a few CIS vouchers showing pay
JIB certificate
City & Guilds certificates for Electrical Installation I & II (about 8 all together)
Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installation (BS7671:June 2001) 16th edition
Health and Safety certificates
CIS Card

I'm assuming they recognise C&G, but am wondering whether I should put what the certificates actually entail? I have gathered info from the C&G website to include. Should I request official documentation from them about the courses?

He never did a formal apprenticeship, but now has been practising for 7+ yrs. However, on the C&G website it says 2360 (Electrical Installation I&II) is "recognised as a technical certificate for modern apprenticeships." On the TRA form, should we write he did an apprenticeship? Should it be based on the fact that the C&G calls it an apprenticeship? He did train on the job with a previous employer with whom we still have contact.

On on of the TRA pages it says, "qualifications showing the date the qualification was completed; and
all documentation provided to the assessing body"
So should we try and find some of his written assignments he completed??

We are in the process of writing out exactly what he does/has done and trying to make it as detailed as possible. Does anyone have an old one we could see?

We still need:
Letters from previous employers (he has always been self-employed, but sub contracted for tax purposes)

I'm just trying to make sure we do EVERYTHING right! Any advice appreciated! Thanks
Old Dec 4th 2004, 6:30 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TRA- Electricians

Originally Posted by Jess5377
(Applying under skilled independent) How did you go about putting together your assessment for the TRA?

So far we've got together:
CV
Old tax returns and a few CIS vouchers showing pay
JIB certificate
City & Guilds certificates for Electrical Installation I & II (about 8 all together)
Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installation (BS7671:June 2001) 16th edition
Health and Safety certificates
CIS Card

I'm assuming they recognise C&G, but am wondering whether I should put what the certificates actually entail? I have gathered info from the C&G website to include. Should I request official documentation from them about the courses?

He never did a formal apprenticeship, but now has been practising for 7+ yrs. However, on the C&G website it says 2360 (Electrical Installation I&II) is "recognised as a technical certificate for modern apprenticeships." On the TRA form, should we write he did an apprenticeship? Should it be based on the fact that the C&G calls it an apprenticeship? He did train on the job with a previous employer with whom we still have contact.

On on of the TRA pages it says, "qualifications showing the date the qualification was completed; and
all documentation provided to the assessing body"
So should we try and find some of his written assignments he completed??

We are in the process of writing out exactly what he does/has done and trying to make it as detailed as possible. Does anyone have an old one we could see?

We still need:
Letters from previous employers (he has always been self-employed, but sub contracted for tax purposes)

I'm just trying to make sure we do EVERYTHING right! Any advice appreciated! Thanks
Hi

I'm not sure how you go on when you've not done a formal apprenticeship but I did my husband's TRA so I'll help you in any way I can.

Gaz has worked on a CIS card before but i thought it might be a bit complicated to explain him being self employed but only as a sub contracter and I didn't want to have to provide accounts or anything like that. So i got all his references done as though he was an employee. Luckily Gaz always manages to stay in contact with ex-employers so we had no problem getting employers refs done.

The first ref was from his employer where he did his apprenticeship. This was very detailed and included a task schedule of every little task he completed throughout the training. All the other refs were detailed and very repetative including a list of all the tools he used like :- screwdriver, wire cutters, side cutters, hack saw, etc... You just have to make sure it has everything on it no matter how insignificant it seams. If you approach any of his employers I would do a rough draft of exactly what detail needs to be in the ref and give it to them.

I really put a lot of effort into doing his TRA as I didn't want anything to go wrong and it was hard, very hard. It gave me nightmares! So if you want to ask me anything just pm me. I'd be glad to help as I know how tough it is and there have been a few fails just lately so you need to make sure you don't leave anything to chance.

Rachel
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Doritos is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm at the same early stage, getting stuff together for the TRA. I didn't even realise C&G had a dedicated website. I'd love to have the link, as I've just posted a newbie question about relevent supporting evidence to back up the C&G certificates.

Cheers if you can help.

From previous posts, I believe we have to detail apprenticeship and training in as much depth as our job descriptions. i.e. spell out and define the course modules like writing an 'idiot's guide' to the job training etc. And, here was me thinking the certificates would be enough. Doh!

Doritos.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Knickers. I missed a bit.

I've been advised (thanks again Atticus) to get in touch with the College. It may be that they can provide job/training summaries for modules taken at a small fee. So, we're going to try that and see what happens, even though my fella took the C&G 15yrs ago.

Doritos.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Doritos

I've been advised (thanks again Atticus) to get in touch with the College. It may be that they can provide job/training summaries for modules taken at a small fee. So, we're going to try that and see what happens, even though my fella took the C&G 15yrs ago.

Doritos.

www.city-and-guilds.co.uk is the website.

I am calling the school as well, to see what they can provide. We are also going to see if his old instructors could write a letter.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

The TRA official line is :-

With a formal apprenticeship of 3 - 4 years duration,
4 years experiance required.

Without a formal apprenticeship - 9 years experiance required & well documented.

The way TRA are performing at the moment if you think you are marginal then you need the services of a good TRA agent.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenJan333 will become famous soon enough

Doritos.
My hubby did his apprenticeship and C&G's 20 odd year ago and he was made redundant in 1984. The company went into liquidation shortly after that. We had a hell of a time gathering info for TRA and thought we had everything covered (agent told us all was well), but still got a fail.

All I can say is gather as much info and put into refs/stat dec's etc as much detail as possible.

Good luck

Jan
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply and advice Jan.

Fortunately, fella is still in touch with the two companies he trained with during C&G. They will definately give him letterheaded documentation for evidence etc. but there is no copy of the 'Contract' or indentures.

As long as the nominated companies give evidence/signatures etc,. and this is documented (including address) on the original certificates would we still be okay without the original 'Contract'?

Thanks
Doritos
Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: TRA- Electricians

Thanks for the web address Jess.

Fella did contact the college yesterday and discovered the course was discontinued only 3 years ago. (It was 18 yrs ago fella started it, not 15yrs as previously stated - my brain is fried with info). And, he was astounded to find his original tutor is still lecturing there. He gave us a call (we left msg for him) and fella told him our future plans. He promptly offered to look up all old transcripts, pc info etc etc. type it all up in the format we need and send it to us. That's the full course in depth. Fella thinks he was chuffed that someone has stayed in the trade for 18yrs. What a diamond bloke eh.

As you can imagine, we are v. happy fella made that call :-)

Doritos
Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenJan333 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply and advice Jan.

Fortunately, fella is still in touch with the two companies he trained with during C&G. They will definately give him letterheaded documentation for evidence etc. but there is no copy of the 'Contract' or indentures.

As long as the nominated companies give evidence/signatures etc,. and this is documented (including address) on the original certificates would we still be okay without the original 'Contract'?

Thanks
Doritos
Hi again Doritos

I really can't answer that question, as we have just recently failed TRA, but plan to appeal. All I can say in light of TRA 'shortning the goal posts' or 'their inexperienced staff assessing files' is to put in as much information and evidence to back what you claiming up, that you can lay your hands on.

Good luck

Jan