TRA Assesment

Old May 24th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default TRA Assesment

To who this may be of assistance for residing in the UK.

TRA Information for Electricians Migrating to Australia

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
1 Skills assessment for people intending to migrate to Australia
2 Skills assessment for Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC)
3 New skills assessment service

2 Skills assessment for Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC)
TRA issues Australian Recognised Trade Certificates (ARTCs) to eligible Australian residents under the Tradesmen's Rights Regulation Act 1946.
If you are an Australian resident with skills in the metals or electrical trades, and you have developed skills other than through an Australian apprenticeship, the ARTC can provide you with national recognition.

TRA does not issue licences, please refer to the Australian Accreditation, Licensing and Registration Authorities for details.

This page contains information on applying for an ARTC.

Can I work when I get my ARTC?
What if I do not agree with the decision?
How do I contact TRA?

Which trades does TRA issue an ARTC for?
TRA issues ARTCs in metal and electrical trades.
Occupations that are assessed by TRA are listed in the Trades Assessed List .

What is a Domestic Skills Assessment?

Domestic skills assessments are conducted under the Tradesmen’s Rights Regulation Act 1946 (the Act).

TRA considers applications against criteria and guidelines developed by a Central Trades Committee. Applications are then referred to a Local Trades Committee (LTC) for consideration.

A successful assessment by LTC results in the granting of an ARTC.
Can I apply?
You need to have:
training and/or experience in a metal or electrical trade assessed by TRA
skills learned on the job OR through a mixture of formal training and on the job experience
an appropriate overseas apprenticeship OR at least 6 years on the job experience in engineering or metal trades OR 7 years in an electrical trade.

How do I apply?
You will need to:
submit a complete ARTC Application Form
pay the correct application fee
ensure your application is decision ready by supplying all evidence of your training and work experience.

What evidence do I need to supply?
Proof of identity (birth certificate, passport identity page, or official government identification, two passport photos)
Proof of Australian residency (passport visa page where applicable)
Proof of any training, overseas apprenticeship or traineeship
Proof of any industrial or occupational licensing or registration
Detailed proof of relevant work experience.
Contact details for TRA to confirm all claims and documents.

How should the evidence be provided?
Documents not written in English must come with certified English translations.
Documents must be certified true copies.
Do not send original documents.
Do not send applications in folders or plastic sleeves.
Do not use dividers or spiral binders.

How much does it cost?
AUD $300 for ARTC application
AUD $270 for trade test (if required)
AUD $130 for replacement of a lost certificate
No application fee is required for an initial ARTC application from Australian residents whose skills have been successfully assessed by TRA for migration purposes.

How do I pay the application fee?
If paying from within Australia, please use a bank cheque or an Australian postal money order made out to ‘The collector of public monies, DEEWR’.
TRA does not accept credit card payments.
If paying from outside Australia, please use an international bank cheque or money order.

All payments must be drawn on an Australian bank (e.g. Australia and New Zealand Banking Corporation, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank, Westpac Banking Corporation), in Australian dollars and made out to: 'The collector of public monies DEEWR'.
Application fees are not refundable irrespective of the result of the assessment.

Where do I send my application?
Trades Recognition Australia contact details

How long will it take?
The majority of applications are assessed within 20 working days.

I have submitted my application, what happens next?
If you are successful, you will be sent your ARTC.
In some cases, you may be required to attend an interview, on-the-job inspection or trade test.

If you are unsuccessful, you will be sent a letter which outlines the reasons for the decision.

How will my application be assessed?
Your application will be considered against criteria and guidelines developed by a Central Trades Committee and, where eligible, referred to a Local Trades Committee for their decision.

Can I work when I get my ARTC?
The ARTC recognises you as a trades person; however, to perform the work of that trade, it may also be necessary for you to obtain a licence or registration from the relevant State or Territory authority. Please refer to the Australian Accreditation, Licensing and Registration Authorities for details.

What if I do not agree with the decision?
You may submit a reapplication to have the decision reconsidered.
Before you submit a reapplication, you may ask to speak with the deciding assessor to discuss the reasons for the decision.
A reapplication must be requested in writing within 60 days of the date of the TRA decision letter.
A reapplication fee is AUD $300
How do I contact TRA?

Trades Recognition Australia contact details
Contact TRA - for people intending to migrate to Australia
Phone
+61 2 6121 7456
Monday to Friday 9am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm
Australian Eastern Standard Time, excluding public holidays (GMT +10 hours)
Fax
+61 2 6121 7768
Email [email protected]
Web www.workplace.gov.au/tra

Mail
Trades Recognition Australia
GPO Box 9879
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

About TRA
Skills Assessment for people intending to migrate to Australia

TRA is a nominated assessment authority for a number of occupations in the Skilled Migration Program under the Migration Regulations 1994.
If you intend to migrate to Australia under a general skilled migration category, you must have had your skills assessed by the relevant Australian assessing authority before lodging your application with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

TRA does not provide advice on visas or issue points for migration.
DIAC requires applicants to meet certain eligibility criteria, including in relation to age, in order for General Skilled Migration visas to be approved. TRA encourages applicants to obtain information about those requirements from DIAC. Please refer to the DIAC website for details.
Skills Assessment for Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC)

TRA issues Australian Recognised Trade Certificates (ARTCs) to eligible Australian residents under the Tradesmen’s Rights Regulation Act 1946 (the TRR Act)
If you are an Australian resident with skills in the metals or electrical trades, and you have developed skills other than through an Australian apprenticeship, the ARTC can provide you with national recognition. TRA does not issue licences, State and territory authorities do.