Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

TRA application - How detailed must references be?

TRA application - How detailed must references be?

Old May 25th 2005, 1:32 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Default TRA application - How detailed must references be?

Could anyone shed light on how detailed your job references should be for the TRA's liking? The reason I'm asking is that Ive notice that a lot of people have failed because theirs were not detailed enough. This I find confusing as some people pass but don't send references at all, i.e they have'nt told their boss of their plans. Not that I can do anything about it now, as the TRA have had our precious little application for 5wks, 1day - I guess I must just enjoy torturing myself!!....and my long suffering hubby! But any info may help others who are still getting theirs together.

C.
Old May 25th 2005, 2:17 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA application - How detailed must references be?

Originally Posted by Carruss
Could anyone shed light on how detailed your job references should be for the TRA's liking? The reason I'm asking is that Ive notice that a lot of people have failed because theirs were not detailed enough. This I find confusing as some people pass but don't send references at all, i.e they have'nt told their boss of their plans. Not that I can do anything about it now, as the TRA have had our precious little application for 5wks, 1day - I guess I must just enjoy torturing myself!!....and my long suffering hubby! But any info may help others who are still getting theirs together.

C.

Sorry i cant help but im worried the ones we have got back from old employers are not going to be detailed enough even though i had them checked by agent before getting them signed I have sent them to him for checking but as yet no response aaaarrrrgggghhhh the waiting.
Anyway im sure yours will be fine im sending you some karma ive never sent any before so i hope you get it.

Cheers Kris
Old May 25th 2005, 2:33 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

C.
As far as I can tell from my TRA they are only interested in the references that support your training.
For example the employer you worked for during your apprenticeship or the employers you worked for during the 6/7 years of your on the job training.

References after the initial training are needed for the full application to show working in occupation for 3 of 4 years for points and for working 12 of last 18 months for relevance, if that makes sense.
Your deeming date is now decided by DIMIA not the TRA so I think that is why they only look at your training.

The references for your training have to be very detailed, mine was 4 pages typed A4, plus a Stat Dec.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Old May 25th 2005, 2:35 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey just become a Senior member !
Old May 25th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

C.
Hi, you shouldn't be torturing yourself like this!! Just let let you know, though, that my hubbie (electrician) just had four references - two were just one and a half pages long and the other two weren't even a page!! And he passed no problem. I was very detailed on the actual application form though, adding an extra two or three pages about tools used and how often, etc, etc. (I stress the "I" part - I did most of the application and I can't even change a bloody plug!!)lol
Old May 25th 2005, 3:59 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevinl
As far as I can tell from my TRA they are only interested in the references that support your training.
For example the employer you worked for during your apprenticeship or the employers you worked for during the 6/7 years of your on the job training.

References after the initial training are needed for the full application to show working in occupation for 3 of 4 years for points and for working 12 of last 18 months for relevance, if that makes sense.
Your deeming date is now decided by DIMIA not the TRA so I think that is why they only look at your training.

The references for your training have to be very detailed, mine was 4 pages typed A4, plus a Stat Dec.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Thanks for that advice, I think it will make the wait a little less nerve racking!! Basically I'm a being assessed as a hairdresser - I completed a 2yr, full-time course at college in 2000 and have had 2 jobs since (one for 6mts and the other for the last 4 1/2 yrs) I sent my NVQ L2 certificate along with 14 pages, in my own words (in the greatest detail!!) Also I sent 3 pages detailing what I did at my previous salon and the same for the one I'm working at currently (I did a stat dec for these and the 14 pages of college gumph). both of my employers wrote me references, but they are pretty brief, i.e they don't list tools used and specific tasks performed. They really just confirm that I worked there as a stylist over the period I said. I'm also state registered as a hairdresser, so I sent that certificate as well. That lot, along with a bucket load of blood, sweat and tears.....surely it's got to be enough!!!???
Old May 25th 2005, 4:22 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

C.

i know exactly what you mean...... we are about 1 week in front of you, tra ack 13/4, and reading throught some of these threads, i am panicking we have not sent enough, even though the agent has said it is okay. my hubbies a painter and decorator, and the firm he did his apprenticeship with didn't want to know at the beginning and refused to write a letter of reference (just being arsey i think!). after much begging and tears from me, they did succumb, but the letter wasn't very good, just the basic information (even though i gave them a copy of what they should write).

i did try contacting his college (he went day release), but the records only go back 7 years - bah!!! no good there. i tried contacting NI, but their records don't go back far enough!

If the TRA come back denied, i don't know how we can get more info on his training.

i'm like you, panicking, especially as there has been no TRA's approved recently, or so it seems. one minute i'm thinking, it will be okay, the agent has said it will be fine, the next minute, OMG!!! we haven't sent enough!!!

oh well, what will be, will be...............

good luck to you

michelle
Old May 25th 2005, 5:16 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Hi C
I know what you mean (were a day behind you), the more threads I read the more nerveracking it is, but I can't ignore them.
Hubby has been self employed since he completed his training, but the training was on the job not a formal apprenticeship.
Couldn't wait to send the bl***y thing off and now I feel panicky!!
Just can't get it into my head that the agent wouldn't have let it go if it wasn't uo to scratch!
Good luck to all of us waiting and waiting...
Carole

C.
Old May 25th 2005, 6:16 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Hi C
I know what you mean (were a day behind you), the more threads I read the more nerveracking it is, but I can't ignore them.
Hubby has been self employed since he completed his training, but the training was on the job not a formal apprenticeship.
Couldn't wait to send the bl***y thing off and now I feel panicky!!
Just can't get it into my head that the agent wouldn't have let it go if it wasn't uo to scratch!
Good luck to all of us waiting and waiting...
Carole
yes....it is something of a trial and the wait can be all consuming, not easy putting it to the back of your mind and now little niggling doubts are starting to form in there too, nerve wrecking stuff!.
Old May 25th 2005, 6:27 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about

C.
I see your app is just a few days before mine.
My nerves are like yours, and I am beginning to think I am going mad thinking should have, would have, could have...... ( in my case I could have written more than 2 pages on my job, but felt at the time didn't think it was relevant ).
Anyway if TRA are not happy with the information I have provided then based on the fact that they seem to be very fussy I WILL TRY AGAIN.
I soooo hope I wont have to though. Please...

Good luck.

Brian.
Old May 25th 2005, 7:51 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan posted this, hope it helps:

http://s10.invisionfree.com/Expats_i...?showtopic=165
Old May 26th 2005, 6:16 am
I am not the Messiah!

Wink Re: TRA application - How detailed must references be?

Originally Posted by bridiej
Cheers Bridie,

I will let the wife know about this. Although it will get her panicking as we did not say anything about wages or send any pay slips as it does not ask for it. It may be more important perhaps if you are self-employed or something, don't know.

I keep telling her to forget about it as they have it now and theres nothing we can do to change it anyway.

Anyways, we should here back any day now so we shall see.

R.