Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Robinson Family is on a distinguished road
Default Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

I have read some of the other threads regarding MODL or STNI but your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My hubbie got is positive TRA assessment back on Saturday. Assessed as a toolmaker. His skills are now on the MODL list.Giving him 130 points

We need to make a decision

Do we apply for Skills independent visa?

Do we apply for Skills independent visa and run STNI along side it and change to 137 if accepted?

Things we need to think about

We have always planned on going to Victoria.

Will the STNI make a difference to the time scale of the visa? If not should we apply via this route.

If hubbie cannot get a job more scope.

Hubbies skills could be removed from MODL and then we do not have enough points.( Only just added so unlikely we hope)

I have spoken to our agent this morning but the final decision is ours.

HELP!!!!!!
Any comment greatly appreciated.

Andrea

ps I know we are extremely lucky to have this choice back in March we thought we couldn't even apply

Last edited by Robinson Family; Sep 13th 2004 at 1:35 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:13 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

It looks like that we are in similar situations but i am still waiting for a positive assessment from TRA as a skilled sheet metal worker-First class. My skill has also been added to the MODL.

I think that from reading other posts, both STNI and MODL independant visa processing times are pretty much on par withn each other.

If you go the MODL route, then you will have more choice so could be beneficial.

Write down the advantages and the disadvantages on paper then compare. it my help to decide.

Regards

Rob

Originally Posted by Robinson Family
I have read some of the other threads regarding MODL or STNI but your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My hubbie got is positive TRA assessment back on Saturday. Assessed as a toolmaker. His skills are now on the MODL list.Giving him 130 points

Do we apply for Skills independent visa and run STNI along side it and change to 137 if accepted?

Will the STNI make a difference to the time scale of the visa? If not should we apply via this route.

Hubbies skills could be removed from MODL and then we do not have enough points.( Only just added so unlikely we hope)

HELP!!!!!!

Andrea

ps I know we are extremely lucky to have this choice back in March we thought we couldn't even apply
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future
Default Re: Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

So how many extra points do we get for being on the MODL list?

Tracey
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:29 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Tracey,

15 points for no job offer
20 points with a job offer

Rob

Originally Posted by traceyandian
So how many extra points do we get for being on the MODL list?

Tracey
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Good to hear that you are in the same position regarding MODL.
Plan to sit down tonight and discuss and then e-mail agent with response.
The more I think about it skilled independent seems best bet if processing time is similar. Still think VIC is where we will end up. More industry suitable for hubbie and my job can be done anywhere.

Thanks for response
Andrea

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Tracey,

15 points for no job offer
20 points with a job offer

Rob
Old Sep 13th 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robinson Family

HELP!!!!!!

Andrea

Good news for quite a few of us

We are in the same position, only we had our nomination and our application had been posted in July we have completed all Meds and police checks, then we got added to the MODL (I have applied as a Sheetmetalworker-first class), we have taken a gamble and changed over to a standard 136 to give us more scope if we cant find work in Victoria.

Just wondering now, how much longer we have to wait, we haven't even recived an ackowledgment yet,and it is 12 weeks after our credit card was charged

Anyway good to hear we are not on our own now.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

Originally Posted by Dicko
Good news for quite a few of us

We are in the same position, only we had our nomination and our application had been posted in July we have completed all Meds and police checks, then we got added to the MODL (I have applied as a Sheetmetalworker-first class), we have taken a gamble and changed over to a standard 136 to give us more scope if we cant find work in Victoria.

Just wondering now, how much longer we have to wait, we haven't even recived an ackowledgment yet,and it is 12 weeks after our credit card was charged

Anyway good to hear we are not on our own now.

Dicko

We applied June 8 and emailed DIMIA twice for a file number. They replied to the second one with number and informed us that ack letter sent out 24 Aug, it has never arrived. So i am not expecting one anymore. We are going to send meds and pcs and hope for the best. Seems on time line you and i are the only ones without ack.

Good Luck

Annn
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

sason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by annn
Dicko

We applied June 8 and emailed DIMIA twice for a file number. They replied to the second one with number and informed us that ack letter sent out 24 Aug, it has never arrived. So i am not expecting one anymore. We are going to send meds and pcs and hope for the best. Seems on time line you and i are the only ones without ack.

Good Luck

Annn
Hi Annn,
How long after you sent the second email did you get a reply?

I have also emailed twice, requesting the file number, and there is now over e week since the last email was sent... Two months and no ack letter nor a response to emails. Frustrating!

Too bad if the lack of file number is delaying my subclass 137 app.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:15 am
Just Joined

debgill is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

Hi everyone, please excuse me if I'm going over well trodden ground, but I'm newish and haven't found an answer yet.
Basically, I wonder if anyone knows how long it is between submitting your meds and PCC's til you get a reply?
I'm on a 136 SI and an MODL profession.
I'd appreciate any views/experiences.
Thanx.
Debgil.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

rnrj is on a distinguished road

hi all

i am also in the same case as you are in. i applied 136, modl (toolmaker) on 20th december 2004. still waiting for ack.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Debgill and rnrj
Our application was sent in September and we decided to go the MODL route. Look at our signature for timescale.
I spoke with our agent yesterday and they said once DIMIA receive police checks and medicals it will usually take between 8-12 weeks to grant visa. No set rule though!!! They usually chase if nothing has been heard after 12 weeks.
rnrj, If application was sent in Dec I would think that police checks and medicals will be called for soon. Remember we have had Christmas which has delayed things a little.

We are waiting patiently (not) for our visa grant!!!!

Good luck
Andrea

Originally Posted by rnrj
i am also in the same case as you are in. i applied 136, modl (toolmaker) on 20th december 2004. still waiting for ack.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:30 am
Just Joined

debgill is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Timescale for MODL indepentent visa and STNI

Originally Posted by rnrj
hi all

Just had email this am...have been accepted(meds and pcc's sent end nov)
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Fantastic news!!!!!
I hope that we also hear soon.
Good luck
Andrea

Originally Posted by debgill
Just had email this am...have been accepted(meds and pcc's sent end nov)