Time limits if accepted

Old Apr 19th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Time limits if accepted

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before:

If I apply to migrate and am succesful, how long do I have before I must settle in / move to Australia?
The reason I ask is that I must give 12 months notice to leave my job.
Obviously I don't really want to resign before I'm accepted, nor do I want to risk missing the boat, so to speak.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Time limits if accepted

Originally posted by njk435
Hi,

If I apply to migrate and am succesful, how long do I have before I must settle in / move to Australia?
Obviously I don't really want to resign before I'm accepted, nor do I want to risk missing the boat, so to speak.
Normally all persons listed on your application must enter Australia within 12 months of the earlier of the medicals and the police checks.

Good luck

Terry
Old Apr 19th 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hi,

You have to validate the visa's by the entry date given to you by DIMIA, which as Terry said is normally 12 months from either the date of your medicals or police checks whichever is earliest, you don't however have to move over at that point. The validation can merely be a holiday ie. an entry into Oz validating the visa. You then have approximately 3 years before you have to settle in Oz, the PR visa is valid for 5 years but there is residency clauses to gain a residents return visa or citizenship after the 5 years is up.

Hope that makes sense, (it is late)
Hazel
Old Apr 19th 2003, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi,

You have to validate the visa's by the entry date given to you by DIMIA, which as Terry said is normally 12 months from either the date of your medicals or police checks whichever is earliest, you don't however have to move over at that point. The validation can merely be a holiday ie. an entry into Oz validating the visa. You then have approximately 3 years before you have to settle in Oz, the PR visa is valid for 5 years but there is residency clauses to gain a residents return visa or citizenship after the 5 years is up.

Hope that makes sense, (it is late)
Hazel
All the above is correct. But I'd add that, once validated, you can leave it closer to the 5 years to permanently enter as long as you don't mind staying in the country (no hoidays abroad). After 5 years you won't be asked to leave, it's just that you'd struggle to get back in if you did. So you could settle after 4 years 11 months, stay for 2 years, get your passport, then no more visa worries.
Old Apr 20th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies, very useful and as I hoped!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies, very useful and as I hoped!
Do check the position as to whether you can get your visa and then give notice to the Army. My hubby's in the RN due out in Nov 2005. We were on the verge of submitting our visa application when our agent informed us that there is a new policy that visas will not be granted to serving members of foreign armed forces. He tried to argue that the RN was hardly a foreign armed force that they should be woried about but that is their policy. We are now having to wait until April next year (just before hubby's 45th birthday) to put in our application and our agent has said he will string out the processing of our application until Nov 2005 which he thinks he should be able to do. The bottom line is Aus Immigartion want to see your Discharge papers before granting a visa. (The position will obviouly be different if you're applying for a transfer to the ADF).
Old Apr 30th 2003, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hanks for the tip nicstids, hopefully my application to transfer will be succesful. The 'fall-back' plan is to Migrate under my own steam, so I will check the details carefully.
Thanks again
Nige
Old Apr 30th 2003, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Therese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals

we asked our agency about time left on our medicals as we have just been given our visa approval and our medical expiry dates are July 2003. We have a house to sell and recon we can't be there before September 2003 she says when we recieve our passports back with the visa in it, it should have a date on the visa by which we need to be in Australia and the medical expiry won't then matter.

We wish you good luck with your move!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 12:57 pm
Jaj

The medical expiry is one of the things that drives the first entry
date. If you cannot move to Australia by the first entry date, then
you need to arrange a holiday to validate before the first entry date.
Your agent should explain all this to you.

If you do not enter Australia by the first entry date, your visas will
probably (or certainly) be cancelled. You may be able to negotiate a
small extension to the first entry date, but it's not easy and they
may say no.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:16:32 +0000, Therese wrote:
    >we asked our agency about time left on our medicals as we have just been
    >given our visa approval and our medical expiry dates are July 2003. We
    >have a house to sell and recon we can't be there before September 2003
    >she says when we recieve our passports back with the visa in it, it
    >should have a date on the visa by which we need to be in Australia and
    >the medical expiry won't then matter.