Thinking about It!!

Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking about It!!

Hi

Just sent my post to the forum for general chit chat on Oz and New Zealand so thought I would send here also.

Basically thinking about emigrating will start filling in forms in July 2003. At present doing lots of research and came across this site - which is really good for advice so I thought I would ask for some also.

Alan owns two barbering/hairdressing businesses however wants to sell and start up again in Perth - But does not want to start straightaway wants to wait a few months - is he better off then applying under Skilled migration rather than Business? his skills are on the demand list.

Second question - I have a law degree and have been qualified for 1 year now how easy is it to work as a solicitor in Perth - I appreciate I will have to requalify but to what extent - have been trying to find out but no luck so far.

Look forward to any comments

Regards

Rizalan
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:08 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thinking about It!!

Originally posted by rizalan
Hi

Just sent my post to the forum for general chit chat on Oz and New Zealand so thought I would send here also.

Basically thinking about emigrating will start filling in forms in July 2003. At present doing lots of research and came across this site - which is really good for advice so I thought I would ask for some also.

Alan owns two barbering/hairdressing businesses however wants to sell and start up again in Perth - But does not want to start straightaway wants to wait a few months - is he better off then applying under Skilled migration rather than Business? his skills are on the demand list.

Second question - I have a law degree and have been qualified for 1 year now how easy is it to work as a solicitor in Perth - I appreciate I will have to requalify but to what extent - have been trying to find out but no luck so far.

Regards

Rizalan
Hi Rizalan

not too sure about you but I think your boyfriend should apply as a skilled independant as that way he will not be under any obligation to start his own business in Oz. Hairdressers are on the MODL so he should have his application fast tracked.

Whereabouts is Scotland are you?

Mel
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mika24me
Hi Rizalan

not too sure about you but I think your boyfriend should apply as a skilled independant as that way he will not be under any obligation to start his own business in Oz. Hairdressers are on the MODL so he should have his application fast tracked.

Whereabouts is Scotland are you?

Mel
Hi Mel

We are based in Aberdeen - Last time we were in Australia was when we were both backpacking back in 94 its where we met and I ended up in sunny Scotland - dont get me wrong its beautiful but Im definitely a sunshine person - I think I have SAD!!

We have decided not to tell anyone until we receive confirmation which sounds like it will be a good few years!!!

What about you?
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:19 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mel

We are based in Aberdeen - Last time we were in Australia was when we were both backpacking back in 94 its where we met and I ended up in sunny Scotland - dont get me wrong its beautiful but Im definitely a sunshine person - I think I have SAD!!

We have decided not to tell anyone until we receive confirmation which sounds like it will be a good few years!!!

What about you?
I am in Glasgow and have never been to Oz but we figure that it can't be worse than here. Not that Scotland isn't beautiful but it is COLD!!! (I am originally from Caithness where the cold is nothing to joke about).

We told everyone as soon as we made up our minds to migrate. It was a full year and a half before we sent off our application form (January this year) so now everyone thinks we have been pulling their legs!

Still things are moving very fast (have recieved requests for medicals already) so fingers crossed we will be there in the Autumn.

Where in Oz are you heading for?

Mel
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thinking about Perth - I lived/worked their for three months - however it was quite some time ago - only thing wrong with it is that its so isolated from the rest of Oz - but having said that its got an amazing coastline, people were friendly on my last visit and you get a lot of house for the money! We are past the partying hard stage just want to settle down now so it should suit us - I hope!

At end of day if we dont like it we can try another place have been round all of it so have a rough idea - may however have to test them out again if Perth didnt work out!!

rizalan
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:33 pm
Hussy

Thinking about Perth - I lived/worked their for three months - however it was quite some time ago - only thing wrong with it is that its so isolated from the rest of Oz - but having said that its got an amazing coastline, people were friendly on my last visit and you get a lot of house for the money! We are past the partying hard stage just want to settle down now so it should suit us - I hope!

At end of day if we dont like it we can try another place have been round all of it so have a rough idea - may however have to test them out again if Perth didnt work out!!

rizalan
I am flying into Melbourne (visa's permitting) as our dog will be quarantined there. Then we are going to check out Adelaide. If we are not struck with either of those cities then we will visit Brisbane and Perth.

I am of the same opinion, we will try a place out and if we don't like it we can move on.

Best of luck with your application

Mel
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

From what I remember of Melbourne, it was very european, street art everywhere and trams!! Adelaide was lovely also just seemed so big yet so small in terms of people (I dont think thats the case now but I could be wrong).

Good luck with your application also. I have two cats which I would like to take with me but one of them is quite nervous if I take it out of the house (e.g. vets) in fact he gets absolutely petrified so not sure what to do on that front - one one hand cant bear to leave them behind on other I dont want the trip to kill them?

Let me know how you go with your dog.

All the best - hope you have a smashing time - Im sure you will

rizalan
Old Apr 28th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We also met backpacking round Oz, both from here too, we now have a two year old son and want to go back, I introduced Graham to Perth this year and he loves it now, having never been to WA before. The climate is fab, prices cheap and way of life better than most states in our humble opinion!

Good luck with application,

Teresa
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Teresa

It is fab isnt it - just the idea of going! Im taking Richard's advice and starting some of the paperwork in relation to Alan's trade qualifications now just to get the ball rolling.

How far are you with your application?

Perth is a fantastic place to bring up children at least I think so - its the outdoor lifestyle that sells me. Appreciate its not that simple but trust me once you've spent a few winters in the North of Scotland!! Anything is better!!

Good luck with yours.

Regards

rizalan
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi Teresa

It is fab isnt it - just the idea of going! Im taking Richard's advice and starting some of the paperwork in relation to Alan's trade qualifications now just to get the ball rolling.

How far are you with your application?

Perth is a fantastic place to bring up children at least I think so - its the outdoor lifestyle that sells me. Appreciate its not that simple but trust me once you've spent a few winters in the North of Scotland!! Anything is better!!

Good luck with yours.

Regards

rizalan

Hi

We are only at beginning of our application, just getting the paperwork together for the agent to forward to the TRA for Graham's skills assessment, so a way to go yet but at least will give us time to get ourselves sorted here and for everyone to get used to the idea.

Have found this site so useful already and great way to swap info with others.

speak soon and keep us updated with yours

Teresa
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards

Rizalan [/QUOTE]

Hi

I'm a solicitor too qualified for 13 years doing PI. We've recently come back from a trip to Aus and I spoke to a few agencies in Perth who were quite encouraging about the prospects of finding a job. Just don't expect to walk into one straightaway....

I actually applied to be admitted as a solicitor in WA as it looked a lot less complicated than other states! However the Legal Practice Board came back and said that I would have to do 7 exams - including Conveyancing for Gawd's sake!! I would then have to do a year of articles!! One of the agents I spoke to said to appeal this decision as in his experience most English solicitors only have to do 3 exams. I'm not that bothered about staying in the legal profession at all so certainly can't be bothered with all that palaver! The easiest state to be admitted in is Queensland (I have now learnt) You would then be able to practice in WA under the Trans Tasman Treaty (I think that's right!!)

Let me know if you want any further info.