Things to do on arrival (Pollyana?)

Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to do on arrival (Pollyana?)

Hello all,

I seem to remember someone (maybe Pollyanna??) mentioning things that have to be done within a certain amount of time upon arrival in Oz. Things to do with pensions, tax, medical insurance ..... something along those lines anyway? Had something to do with losing certain rights or benefits if something was not done within 6 months (I think!!).

Apologies for the vagueness, sums up how I feel right now, in the middle of selling house, leaving work, packing up, saying goodbyes etc etc!!! I leave in 3 weeks and I am not ready.... yikes!! I will be ready of course, just feels a bit mad right now - seems so much more to do and such little time! One big problem is I am very much a 'last minute rush' type person, perform better under pressure, well that's my excuse anyway!

Anyway, if anyone can answer my question that would be great!

Best Regards

ST
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Tania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things to do on arrival (Pollyana?)

Originally posted by swiss tony

Things to do with pensions, tax, medical insurance ..... something along those lines anyway? Had something to do with losing certain rights or benefits if something was not done within 6 months (I think!!).
Hi ST,

Look at this page http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/index.htm
There are advices and a lot of useful information for newly-arrived migrants there.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:27 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by swiss tony
Hello all,

I seem to remember someone (maybe Pollyanna??) mentioning things that have to be done within a certain amount of time upon arrival in Oz. Things to do with pensions, tax, medical insurance ..... something along those lines anyway? Had something to do with losing certain rights or benefits if something was not done within 6 months (I think!!).

Apologies for the vagueness, sums up how I feel right now, in the middle of selling house, leaving work, packing up, saying goodbyes etc etc!!! I leave in 3 weeks and I am not ready.... yikes!! I will be ready of course, just feels a bit mad right now - seems so much more to do and such little time! One big problem is I am very much a 'last minute rush' type person, perform better under pressure, well that's my excuse anyway!

Anyway, if anyone can answer my question that would be great!

Best Regards

ST
Hey,

If you havent already done so, you need to open a bank account within 6 weeks of arriving - after that they require more info and it becomes a hassle.

A TFN is needed and you should apply online or at an ATO Office when you get there, average time is about two weeks. Without one of these you may be taxed more than you should do.

Medicare can be applied for 10 days after you arrive. You just need to take a copy of your passport into your nearest office (there's one at Westfield Strathpine for you )

I don't know about the rest I'm afraid - good luck though, I'm leaving in six weeks, which is 6 weeks and 2 days after I got my visa and other than a couple of shipping quotes I have everything left to do!!

See ya over there maybe

Michelle
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

[Theres a tax benefit in moving your pension within 6 months - whixh I missed out on cos one of the two postal systems managed to lose all the papers twice. Y?ou can apply for a TFN online as soon as you have validated your visa, and my details were on the Medicare computer within a fortnight to sign up for that. And yes, opening a bank account within 6 weeks is easier cos your passport entry stamp shouldbe good for 100 points instdea of 60.
Thats the only stuff I know about I'm afraid - can't afford medical insurance!

Good luck
Polly
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:02 am
Leo
Brisbane in early 2004

Leo is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering about this one. Could not find any details about it. Do you have a clue where I can find the details regarding the tax benefit if moving pension within 6 months?

Thanks,

../Leo

Originally posted by Pollyana
[Theres a tax benefit in moving your pension within 6 months - ...

Good luck
Polly
Old Jun 16th 2004, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Smiley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i found these threads on the lifestyle forum, im not sure if these are the ones you were talking about or not but it is All the info you need Part 1,2 and 3
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=carrianne

Good luck
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

HIya
We have been here two weeks
These are the things being done

Bank account
Tax File Number
Medicare
Drivers Licence
UK Tax return (to get the rest of our £ while the exchange rate is good)

They are all the immediate ones that needed to be done, and the only ones we are concentrating on at present.....

Good luck swiss T - Glad u got through!
Old Jun 19th 2004, 8:56 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by jasper pentop
HIya

Bank account
Tax File Number
Medicare
Drivers Licence

They are all the immediate ones that needed to be done, and the only ones we are concentrating on at present.....

Did you just go to the tax office before you left england for the tax return..? Presumably you have to actually send it once youve left...one of the things I have not a clue about...along with state pension here..does that just get written off...?
Old Jun 19th 2004, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jasper pentop
HIya

Bank account
Tax File Number
Medicare
Drivers Licence

Thanks for the replies people! Pollyana, that was the one I was after, the pension thing! I have been paying into a fund here for government employees (the LPFA one) and wonder if I will be bale to just transfer these funds into an Oz one - think I saw somewhere that I needed to find a 'compatible' pension - whatever that means!!!

For tax refunds here call the inland revenue help line (sorry.... number back home in the UK, will be home on tuesday so will post it then!) and get the form for leaving the UK, return it with parts 2 and 3 of your P45 and hey presto.... tax refund if one is owed! In my case I am leaving the country before I will get my P45, am leaving the completed form with a cousin and she will then add my P45 parts to it and send it off!

State pension - again call (number will follow!) - this time National Insurance, they will then send you a form to calculate a forecast what your pension will be. From that you can work out if it is worth paying voluntary contributions to ensure you get a pension at retirement age. Don't forget pension soon may only be payable once you are 70 - have to work out if it is worth paying into it?

Regards

ST