Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Are there any Immi/Diac/Gov vaues or mission statements?

Are there any Immi/Diac/Gov vaues or mission statements?

Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Are there any Immi/Diac/Gov vaues or mission statements?

I need to write to my case officer over the weekend to beg/plead our case to be processed now rather in 3 years after the change in priority processing timeframes, after all we have been 'down prioritised' once already since our application went in in March 2008 which caused a long delay in being assigned a case officer, and have done everything asked of us when it was requested.

This is going to have to be a really good email detailing that everything asked for has been provided when asked for, ready to go, sold house and may be up for voluntary redundancy so claiming financial hardship if visa grant delayed etc, dont want meds and police checks which we have completed and paid for in the last month to expire etc.

Are there any government/immigration/DIAC values or mission statements that I might quote as part of a fair play plea?

Any other words of wisdom that anyone has used when complaining to DIAC that may have helped, I remember that some people have had success when using the complaint/feedback form when there were delays of case officers being assigned.

Thanks

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Immi/Diac/Gov vaues or mission statements?

Don't know if it helps but they talk about their purpose, philosophy and objectives here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/department/who-we-are.htm
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
I need to write to my case officer over the weekend to beg/plead our case to be processed now rather in 3 years after the change in priority processing timeframes, after all we have been 'down prioritised' once already since our application went in in March 2008 which caused a long delay in being assigned a case officer, and have done everything asked of us when it was requested.

This is going to have to be a really good email detailing that everything asked for has been provided when asked for, ready to go, sold house and may be up for voluntary redundancy so claiming financial hardship if visa grant delayed etc, dont want meds and police checks which we have completed and paid for in the last month to expire etc.

Are there any government/immigration/DIAC values or mission statements that I might quote as part of a fair play plea?
DIAC's job is to follow the Migration Act, Migration Regulations and policies set down by the Minister using authority given to him under the Act.

As for selling your house, etc, doesn't every communication from DIAC tell you not to do something like that?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

I too am compiling an email as we have been severely affected by the changes, I have been advised to send an email to Chris Evans directly rather than the DIAC. Not sure if it will even get read but have to do something.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
DIAC's job is to follow the Migration Act, Migration Regulations and policies set down by the Minister using authority given to him under the Act.

As for selling your house, etc, doesn't every communication from DIAC tell you not to do something like that?
Hi JAJ,
we did realise that it might be a gamble putting the house up for sale but we thought the timeframes were right even if it meant going ino rented a couple of months. The housing market in Bournemouth, for us anyway, had taken a sharp upturn recently, something that the local estate agents were not expecting.

I know DIAC are not to blame for the recents changes in priority processsing, they have my respect and sympathies for trying to implement the new changes with many people affected all sending in inquiries as to how this will affect their applications.

I stayed up late Thursday to speak to Adelaide GSM directly and the person I spoke to said they were still waiting to be briefed as to how the changes were to be implemented so they were unable to say if I may be affected or not.

I just need to send a very good email to my case officer saying as everything has been submitted that has been asked for, we have been 'down prioritsed' once already causing a long delay, can we be processed now and not in 3 years.
Our application has been submitted since March 2008, and by the end of the year we have had state sponsorship from SA for 2 years, so where is the 'fair play' the Aussies are known for.

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:10 am
RMA; Aussie Career Coach

Susan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud of

Any other words of wisdom that anyone has used when complaining to DIAC that may have helped, I remember that some people have had success when using the complaint/feedback form when there were delays of case officers being assigned.

Thanks

Johnnyyt
Hi johnnyyt

I'm really sorry to have to say this, but there is no right of appeal.

DIAC's Q&A sheet about the 23 September addresses this issue in Q12, which reads as follows:

If my nominated occupation is not on the CSL can I still receive priority processing?

No. If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL your application will not be prioritised.

Please do not contact the Department to request your application be exempt from the priority processing Direction. Case officers must adhere to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship's prioirity processing Direction.

Here's a link to the full document:

Best regards
Susan

Last edited by Susan Wareham McGrath; Sep 26th 2009 at 9:17 am.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyC
Don't know if it helps but they talk about their purpose, philosophy and objectives here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/department/who-we-are.htm
Thanks.

Taken from this page 'DIAC is committed to ensuring that it is open and accountable, deals fairly and reasonably with clients '

This is the sort of thing I have been looking for. I am sure I read one somewhere that said something like - 'DIAC/GOV will be open and fair in dealing with applications within recommended timeframes'

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Susan Wareham McGrath
Hi johnnyyt

I'm really sorry to have to say this, but it might be useful for you to refer to DIAC's Q&A sheet about the 23 September changes before you decide whether to prepare an appeal.

Q12 reads as follows:

If my nominated occupation is not on the CSL can I still receive priority processing?

No. If your nominated occupation is not on the CSL your application will not be prioritised.

Please do not contact the Department to request your application be exempt from the priority processing Direction. Case officers must adhere to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship's prioirity processing Direction.

Here's a link to the full document:

Best regards
Susan

I have read the FAQ sheet and to be honest it has us worried that instead of expecting a decision within 3 months that we may have to wait 3 years.
Our medicals will expire.
Our police clearance certificates will expire.

If my agent had not gone bust I would be expecting them to be protesting about unreasonal delays.

I started this journey in 2007.
I have succefully submitted everything that has been required when it has been asked.
I have had state sponsorship approved for 2 years in December
I submitted in March 2008
I was dealyed to changes in priority processing and I didn't get a case officer till March 09, well after the 7 months guidline for getting one assinged.
I have submitted meds and police checks.

Do you think it is reasonable to be expected to wait quietly for for up to 3 years without even sending an email to my assigned case officer asking for clarification?

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cathy Makin
I too am compiling an email as we have been severely affected by the changes, I have been advised to send an email to Chris Evans directly rather than the DIAC. Not sure if it will even get read but have to do something.
Good luck.

There is a compliments and complaints page here :- http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/services/

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

liamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura about

You are absolutely entitled to complain or chase as you see fit...individuals should be heard and yes when we have adhered to timescales etc etc and our simple expectations have not been met then surely as individuals we have rights.

We are the same having had our state sponsorship for 18 months, been on CSL list then off..prioritised in Jan 2009 and it still took 14 months to request our meds etc. Now wait 3 years!!

I believe its a really difficult time for personnel at DIAC, agents etc, however peoples lives are being affected and I mean badly and through no fault of their own. Its not fair or realistic to expect large sums of money changing hands..visa cost, meds etc and then goal posts being moved without the individual being protected.

I hope and pray that something can be done

Lia
I have read the FAQ sheetand to be honest it has us worried that instead of expecting a decision within 3 months that we may have to wait 3 years.

If my agent had not gone bust I would be expecting them to be protesting about unreasonal delays.

I have succefully submitted everything that has been required when it has been asked.
I was dealyed to changes in priority processing and I didn't get a case officer till March 09, well after the 7 months guidline for getting one assinged.

Do you think it is reasonable to be expected to wait quietly for for up to 3 years without even sending an email to my assigned case officer asking for clarification?

Johnnyyt
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:56 am
RMA; Aussie Career Coach

Susan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud ofSusan Wareham McGrath has much to be proud of

I have read the FAQ sheet and to be honest it has us worried that instead of expecting a decision within 3 months that we may have to wait 3 years.

Johnnyyt

Hi Johnnyyt

My opinion about the situation is here:

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/susan...cision%3F.html

Best regards
Susan
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

liamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura about

Beautifully put Susan..thankyou for the link

Lia

Hi Johnnyyt

Best regards
Susan
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

With the changes, I feel fortunate that it suits my husband and I not to go to Australia at this precise moment, or even within the next twelve months to two years. But I recognise that it is not the same for everyone and in fact we are probably a minority.

Still, more and more I become convinced that it is immoral for DIAC to take all these visa fees up front. Without telling people how long they might be waiting, to change the goal posts and to leave people languishing for years. I think the fee should not be taken before proper processing starts i.e. CO is assigned. Until that point they have done nothing to earn that money. I can think of no other situation were somebody would be expected to pay up front and have no idea when they might receive the service or goods they paid for.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Sep 26th 2009 at 10:06 am.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Johnnyyt

Best regards
Susan

Thanks for the link, I particulary like this bit :-
'this debacle is more reminiscent of a Mad Hatter’s Tea Party than of a serious policy decision and the fact that the Minister is yet to comment does him no favours.'

Obviously I, like many others, feel aggrieved that another no notice change is causing uncertainty, again.

I just hope that there is provision in the guidelines briefed down to case officers to look at applications that have long time frames AND have case officers assigned.

I spoke to someone as Adelaide GSM office who said that advice given by them on 22/09/09 to proceed with meds and police checks is now out of date by the next day leaving applicants having no confidance regarding the credabilty of the advive given, this is very frustrating for all.

Johnnyyt