Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Telecommunications cert III - anywhere in Adelaide?

Telecommunications cert III - anywhere in Adelaide?

Old May 17th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Telecommunications cert III - anywhere in Adelaide?

Hi all,
We are looking at ways to pass the TRA, the one option we have at the moment is for my oh to come out to Oz, be assessed via RPL (recognition of prior learning) and be awarded an AQFIII. He can then be assessed under pathway E.
I have been searching for ages, and can only find a TAFE in Qld that does it. We are hoping to move to Adelaide, so it would make more sense if he could do it there and have a look around while he is there. I can only find one company (JB Hunter) but they need to be CRICOS and they are not (I don't even know what CRICOS stands for!!)
Are there any telecoms guys out there who know of any TAFE's that do it?
I have spoken to several agents, but no luck.
Cheers
Flix x
Old May 17th 2008, 9:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telecommunications cert III - anywhere in Adelaide?

I'm not sure if this is the most up to date version of the qualification but according to this there are several RTOs who aren't neccesarily based in SA but do deliver the qual there - you could maybe try getting in touch with each of them and see how that works.

http://www.ntis.gov.au/Default.aspx?...vider&state=04
Old May 17th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

I worked for virgin merdia and just when I was going through the TRA stuff they closed pathway D, and I went through the same stuff as you.

Far as I know we arent allowed to do the course because its not open to International student the person I emailed about the same course said and I wouldnt expect that course to be open to International students anytime soon.

So its catch 22 and Im here in Oz now on a student visa cause I couldnt be arsed waiting.

You could always go employer sponsor and get in that way, I think thats probebly the best way to go.

Last edited by lee28; May 17th 2008 at 9:39 am.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:42 am
Just Joined

molsykins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lee28
I worked for virgin merdia and just when I was going through the TRA stuff they closed pathway D, and I went through the same stuff as you.

Far as I know we arent allowed to do the course because its not open to International student the person I emailed about the same course said and I wouldnt expect that course to be open to International students anytime soon.

So its catch 22 and Im here in Oz now on a student visa cause I couldnt be arsed waiting.

You could always go employer sponsor and get in that way, I think thats probebly the best way to go.
Hi Lee, my OH has worked for Sky as a field engineer for nearly 3 years. We want to get over to OZ. But are finding it near impossible, now path D has gone. Do you think it would be worth writing to Foxtel for sponsership? He doesnt want to do this for the rest of his life, but we need to get out there! How exactly did you get over there? and what are you studying towards?
Old May 18th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Thank you all for the information. Thanks for the link bcworld, it was really useful, i've emailed all of them!
We have looked at sponsorship, but it seems to be mainly contracting in Oz, I have tried to find any contractors, but no luck so far, so if you know any I would be grateful for any info.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:07 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience RTOs located outside VIC (save for ACTS/Trade Train in QLD, and Silver Trowel in WA) don't seem to be alert to the opportunity to deriving additional income by offering workplace assessments/AQF Cert IIIs to overseas based individuals.

=> If there is a choice, focus on TAFEs and RTOs in VIC.

If persons affected find any RTO that indicates they may be able to assess please feel able to let me know - I'll be happy to make a phone call.

Best regards.
Old May 19th 2008, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by molsykins
Hi Lee, my OH has worked for Sky as a field engineer for nearly 3 years. We want to get over to OZ. But are finding it near impossible, now path D has gone. Do you think it would be worth writing to Foxtel for sponsership? He doesnt want to do this for the rest of his life, but we need to get out there! How exactly did you get over there? and what are you studying towards?
Im over on a student visa studying Horticulture at TAFE but I am changing course to bricklaying in august at silver trowel.
Old May 19th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have just had a reply from the TRA regarding this, I read it that the RTO doesn't have to be CRICOS if you have 4 years work exp on top. Could you clarify this Alan? If this is the case, I have found a RTO in Adelaide who does the assessment, I have emailed them to check if my OH can do it there, I will let you know how I get on.
This is from the TRA:

An option for applicants who have only work experience at this time and would have in the past applied through skills pathawy "D" can apply through skills pathway "E" by obtaining an Acceptable Workplace Assessment as follows.

There are 2 separate avenues of assessment for pathway "E" one is for AQF III awarded from Acceptable Workplace Assessment and 4 Years experience and the other is an CRICOS AQF CERT III completed course and 900 Hrs of acceptable work experience.

Acceptable Workplace Assessment and is provided by Australaian RTO's (Registered Training Organisation). Along with an AQF III That was awarded on this basis you will also need to demonstrate 4 Years of relevant trade level Work experience.

Workplace Assessments: Acceptable workplace assessments must be conducted:
by an Australian Registered Training Organisation; by a qualified workplace assessor (AQF IV or above); in the presence of an Australian trained and qualified subject matter expert this persons full qualification details will be required at time of assessment; across any and all compulsory core competencies as defined by the relevant training package; and consistent with the requirements of the relevant training package.

This Method is offered as an alternative to the Pathway "E" main requirements which are that an applicant must have an CRICOS registered AQF CERT III and 900 Hrs work experience.

Last edited by Flixy; May 19th 2008 at 5:31 pm.
Old May 19th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

i

Last edited by Flixy; May 19th 2008 at 5:29 pm. Reason: double posted!
Old May 20th 2008, 12:37 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flixy
I have just had a reply from the TRA regarding this, I read it that the RTO doesn't have to be CRICOS if you have 4 years work exp on top. Could you clarify this Alan? If this is the case, I have found a RTO in Adelaide who does the assessment, I have emailed them to check if my OH can do it there, I will let you know how I get on.
This is from the TRA:

An option for applicants who have only work experience at this time and would have in the past applied through skills pathawy "D" can apply through skills pathway "E" by obtaining an Acceptable Workplace Assessment as follows.

There are 2 separate avenues of assessment for pathway "E" one is for AQF III awarded from Acceptable Workplace Assessment and 4 Years experience and the other is an CRICOS AQF CERT III completed course and 900 Hrs of acceptable work experience.

Acceptable Workplace Assessment and is provided by Australaian RTO's (Registered Training Organisation). Along with an AQF III That was awarded on this basis you will also need to demonstrate 4 Years of relevant trade level Work experience.

Workplace Assessments: Acceptable workplace assessments must be conducted:
by an Australian Registered Training Organisation; by a qualified workplace assessor (AQF IV or above); in the presence of an Australian trained and qualified subject matter expert this persons full qualification details will be required at time of assessment; across any and all compulsory core competencies as defined by the relevant training package; and consistent with the requirements of the relevant training package.

This Method is offered as an alternative to the Pathway "E" main requirements which are that an applicant must have an CRICOS registered AQF CERT III and 900 Hrs work experience.
What would you like me to clarify, Flixy? You have an email from TRA that seems to deal with the issue ...

Best regards.
Old May 20th 2008, 1:52 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flixy
i
Hi Flixy,

Yes, the TRA statement is clear enough: either do a CRICOS registered course in Australia and show 900 hours of acceptable work experience or get a workplace assessment by an RTO and show at least four years of relevant trade level work experience.

Interesting to speculate whether TRA will ever come back with a revised Pathway D. It may be that if the Vetassess procedure proves successful that they just stick with Pathway E and insist on competency assessments. Obviously the usefulness of RTOs depends on the TRA rules, let's hope they go public some time soon.

Cheers,

George Lombard

cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 20th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

What is the time limit on the relevant work experiance being valid? I have been out of work since december but I would do this to get my skills assessed.

Also can I do this while on a student visa in Oz?

I am watching this thread.

Thanks, lee.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

I have looked into this some and phoned Ramsden Telecommunications Training and they told me to fax all my relevant paper work to do with my job, and the director will look at it and they will let me know on the correct way to go.

Thanks, Lee.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lee28

I am watching this thread.

Thanks, lee.
So am I.

How are things going Lee?

Johnnyyt
Old May 20th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
So am I.

How are things going Lee?

Johnnyyt
things are going good for us, I am changing course to bricklayer from horticulture as that course is not what I am interested in doing. but other than that loving it in Oz.

I am hoping we can apply for residency if we can get my skills assesed for communications tradesperson, if not then we will just continue with the student route.

Funny I was going to email you and ask if you knew about this route when I sat down.

Seems there is a place here in perth they have for this course, so I will just let you know what happens, i have faxed away my stuff to them today and hopefully will here about it tomorrow.

Thanks, Lee.

This is the website I used today and phoned, http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...ID=20572#Sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.