Teaching in NZ

Old May 27th 2003, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Nicodemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in NZ

I have been toying with the idea of teaching in the UK for quite a while and have also been thinking about emigrating to NZ. I note that Secondary School teachers are in short supply throughout NZ.

Can anybody advise me of whether this is a good route into NZ. I am not training to teach to emigrate rather combining two things I've wanted to do into one.

I plan on doing the teacher training here, probably starting in the 2004/2005 academic year. Could anyone advise how long after I have obtained qualified teaching status I could expect to achieve PR? If the teacher training last two years I'll be 33ish when I become a newly qualified teacher.

Can any teachers out there who've gone through the NZ assessment tell me any points to watch out for or potential stumbling blocks?

Many thanks.

N
Old May 28th 2003, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in NZ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nicodemus
I have been toying with the idea of teaching in the UK for quite a while and have also been thinking about emigrating to NZ. I note that Secondary School teachers are in short supply throughout NZ.

Can anybody advise me of whether this is a good route into NZ. I am not training to teach to emigrate rather combining two things I've wanted to do into one.

I plan on doing the teacher training here, probably starting in the 2004/2005 academic year. Could anyone advise how long after I have obtained qualified teaching status I could expect to achieve PR? If the teacher training last two years I'll be 33ish when I become a newly qualified teacher.

Can any teachers out there who've gone through the NZ assessment tell me any points to watch out for or potential stumbling blocks?

Many thanks.

Hi Nicodemus,

Teachers are in great demand here in NZ. We were in the counrty for only 3 days before my partner secured a full time position.. which gave us PR .. which once we had lodged the papers and stuff took about 2 to 3 weeks to come through.

I don't think your age will be a big problem.. as long as you are within the 8 point range then there is no worries. You have to have 2 yrs of teaching post PGCE before you can teach in NZ.

cheers

Paul