teaching jobs in Australia any advice

Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:59 am
Just Joined

cjf85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching jobs in Australia any advice

My husband and I are looking to move out to Australia. We are both teachers and just wondered if anyone could help us with a few things.....
We look in the TES for jobs but not many coming up - where else would be good to look? have looked on individual school websites but wondered if there were other websites.
Do australian schools accept English trained teachers we both have BAs and PGCEs but no experience in the HSC? do you think this will be a problem?
and finally...
Salaries, does anyone know what they would be for a teacher with 8yrs experience?
Any advice on getting a job and/or moving there would very much be appreciated.
Cjf
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:57 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching jobs in Australia any advice

www.seek.com.au has a lot of teaching jobs on it.

Also try the Dept of Education in the State you are planning to move to - most have jobs somewhere on their website.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to check the teachers board in the Occupations forum.

Have you had your qualifications verified? It sounds as if you will be OK. Then you will need to register with a state education department. Be aware though that there is no shortage of teachers here - not for the places that people actually want to live in anyway. Most vacancies are advertised internally to people who have permanency or at least are registered with whichever state department you want to go for. e.g. ACT has a recruitment round which generally goes from April - July in which it selects and interviews and maybe offers permanency to a few but also vets those who may be offered short term contracts. Transfer round is advertised internally in about September with people being placed towards the end of the year.

I know other states have a placement process as well so you could find yourself out at woop woop (far away from beach, entertainment, shopping centres etc etc) and you may have to do a few years there before you could realistically expect to land a job in a nice place to live. You may get casual relief and if you are really lucky you may get short term contracts in the beginning but rarely will you land a plum position.

Non government schools usually advertise on their own websites and occasionally through seek.com or similar.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:03 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cjf and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Sorry I'm a bit late with my hello (have to work sometimes! ) but I see the answers and advice are coming in, so that's good.

Any problems with the site, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.