Teachers - a word of warning

Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Teachers - a word of warning

Originally Posted by JAJ
One of the criteria in deciding whether or not to apply Reg 2.27B is whether the applicant is employable in _skilled_ occupations other than the 'restricted' occupation - but this often needs to be argued/evidenced. Employability in non-SOL occupations is usually not relevant.

Jeremy
Jeremy what are non-SOL occupations
Thanks Tara
Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:25 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Teachers - a word of warning

Non SOL occupations are occupations that are not on the SOL (Skilled Ocupations List)

Hope it helps

Rob

Originally Posted by ali south
Jeremy what are non-SOL occupations
Thanks Tara
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:32 pm
kg
Forum Regular

kg is on a distinguished road

The point mentioned earlier by chris1... is very important.

Noosr do recognise b. eds - so use this for points - but it is not recognised otherwise, and therefore it will not be possible to gain employment within the Aussie educ. dept. so this needs to be understood and considered if teachers with B ed qualification think they'll have jobs aplenty waiting for them.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kg
The point mentioned earlier by chris1... is very important.

Noosr do recognise b. eds - so use this for points - but it is not recognised otherwise, and therefore it will not be possible to gain employment within the Aussie educ. dept. so this needs to be understood and considered if teachers with B ed qualification think they'll have jobs aplenty waiting for them.

Just some more clarity on this subject. There is now a 3 year teaching degree being offered by the Government, to get more teachers in the profession quickly. The traditional 4 year course no longer exists. The point raised at the beginning of this thread is valid. Noosr and the Aus Education System only recognise a Teaching Degree if they have spent 4 years obtaining it. The new 3 year course, will not be recognised or granted approval.
If you have the approval from Noosr, then you can teach in Aus. The Aus education system dont recognise B.ed, as the teaching qualification, as they have their own name for their own Degree, but to recognise that you have a teaching qualification. Several threads on this. Generally British Teachers moving to Aus, will have to under take a 5 day course and can only teach in the suburbs for a period of time (Approx 2 years) or in the Metro area as supply only.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point

I received a positive assessment from NOOSR with a BAed (QTS) in Design and Technology. With only three years at college/uni. I also have 5 years post college experience.

although i was concerned about the four year requirement i did risk the application and i received a positive assessment after a couple of months.

NOOSR were great and although had a few questions (mainly my fault). I did send certified copies of my

degree cert,
academic transcript,
a letter confirming i attended the teacher training college (King Afred's were fanastic),
Qualified Teacher Status certificate,
letter from Dfes stating my number,
job description,
references,
CV
birth cert (don't forget that one - like me!)
other FE qualification certs and transcripts.

I thought that the SOL points for a teacher (secondary) is 60, i have seen post on this thread about 50? have i got it wrong?

All the best to those who are worried - i got the recognition with a three year degree (although it was specifically teaching related).

GAz
Old Oct 15th 2004, 10:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzer
I thought that the SOL points for a teacher (secondary) is 60, i have seen post on this thread about 50? have i got it wrong?
Teacher (Education Officer) is assessed by Vetassess. Different rules to NOOSR, but also different points - 50 rather than 60.

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jeremy

thanks - understand

Chr1sarter

Where did you got the info from re brit teachers on supply in Metro for two years? I know what the official line is but:

I know two UK teachers as immigrants - who were on contracts in Perth Suburb Schools as soon after they arrived.

I also met a principle in a Perth school (this summer) who stated the Design and Tech teachers (in my case) are as "rare a rocking horse s**t, and i'll have words with WA ed dept to get you here when you have perm visa". I could never imagine a UK headteacher saying such - it just goes to show how different things in oz are?

Maybe it depends on their needs?

Gaz
Old Oct 16th 2004, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I am an Aussie teacher. I did an 18mth postgrad degree after a four year degree. When in the UK I found they were prepared to have me teach because of the shortage but my qualifications, like yours, where not truly recognised.
I was thinking about many of your predicaments - I would suggest updating your skills. Perhaps a one year post grad certificate - that will allow you to teach and I definitely know in SA you are registered and employable. Keep at it though, barriers are only broken down by people who come up against them!

I have found on my return my 3 years in UK havent left me with any additional qualifications. They will count some of my days of teaching towards moving me up a level. I came home because the govt advertised 160 new teaching positions. When they came out they were all for teachers with "brownie points" already in the system or for people who teach foreign languages. Other than a little supply (which I could be doing in blinking UK) I am really enjoying my stint as unemployed. Chin up, I know :P

Good luck with your careers and jobs
Old Oct 17th 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gazzer
Jeremy

thanks - understand

Chr1sarter

Where did you got the info from re brit teachers on supply in Metro for two years? I know what the official line is but:

I know two UK teachers as immigrants - who were on contracts in Perth Suburb Schools as soon after they arrived.

I also met a principle in a Perth school (this summer) who stated the Design and Tech teachers (in my case) are as "rare a rocking horse s**t, and i'll have words with WA ed dept to get you here when you have perm visa". I could never imagine a UK headteacher saying such - it just goes to show how different things in oz are?

Maybe it depends on their needs?

Gaz

Gaz,
The info about teachers not allowed to work in Metro, was a discussion point on this forum. Many teachers who had just gone over were surpirsed about this. If i can find the thread again i will send it on.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

chr1sarter

Thanks for info - I think it's a case of wheels within wheels as the expression goes. The previous threads would be interesting to see.

My cousin who works for the WA ed dept explained to me they try to encourage new (oz) qualified teachers start outside of metro or go remote for a couple of years - because basically nobody wants too do the time. They also have a "flying squad" pool of teachers who do anything from 4 weeks to one term in non metro area's particularly in subject shortage areas i.e. Design Technology".

Some more info for everyone in teaching and thinking of WA.

Registered teachers are placed on a WA ed dept database, listing skills, experience, subject etc etc......

A school needs someone the ed dept allocates the school with the person best suited to the position nearest the top of the list. If they don't want to go... the next one down etc etc...

Teachers in WA are now being encouraged to move or seek promotion after 5 years to prevent going stale.

Schools do have the option to select their own teacher if it proves difficult to find someone to fill a position and head teachers do have some influence/say in this type of situation.

In reality like everything else the official line is followed yet in practice there is some flexibility. I'm not suggesting it is going to be easy for any of us on the migration path and i suspect the australian teachers are looked after first.

One of the most interesting aspects of our visit a few months ago in contrast to the UK was how positive and welcoming the principals i met. They proved to be friendly and helpful. They found time to discuss their schools and what I could offer them.

Although I found the "offical line" a worry and concerned that if i did migrate we would end up in the back of beyond. My experinces when visiting proved enlightening. The teachers in Perth seemed a lot more relaxed than the UK. They were down to earth, friendly and most of all welcoming and found time to talk. The pupils/students i met were the same.

Actually all of those ozzies i met in Perth and surrounding areas proved to be a nice bunch of people. In a whole month i only met one miserable individual who turned out to be Eastern European. When we returned to the UK we realised how bloody miserable our fellow county folk are. Whether it's the climate, housing, roads, schools or maybe the whole package. We are going to WA as soon as poss and should have done it years ago.

So for all you teachers out there - don't worry about the "official line", I'm telling you, although the profession has its problems there as well as here. The Ozzies have a different attitude that can only make the prospect of teaching there better than here.

After seeing todays news 17th oct (Tomlinsons recommendations on radical reform in English Education), it looks like we are going to adopt a similar system as the ozzies. Well good luck in say - but i won't be around to see it I'll be in WA!

Gaz
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:59 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
I think we have to be careful here, as i dont think these statements can be true. I certainly dont want to put teachers off applyig. My wife's B. ed was approved by Noosr, the trade approval body in Australia as a qualified Teacher without any problems. The education departments in Aus may not recognise a B.ed but Noosr do.
I'm not sure about the 3 year rule, but i know other teachers on this forum, may have a better idea.

Best of luck to all Teachers out there.

Guys please check out the NOOSR Country education profile. I came to see that BEd degree from Indian Universities are approved by NOOSR as equivalent to the Australian teaching degree.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:15 am
Meryl

Regulations in Victoria
http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/appreg.htm
Meryl
5 years training
Dip T (Prim) 1972
Dip Spec Ed 1977
G D Student Welfare 1990s
Countless years experience

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:59:47 +0000, Prince1975
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I think we have to be careful here, as i dont think these statements
    >> can be true. I certainly dont want to put teachers off applyig. My
    >> wife's B. ed was approved by Noosr, the trade approval body in
    >> Australia as a qualified Teacher without any problems. The education
    >> departments in Aus may not recognise a B.ed but Noosr do.
    >> I'm not sure about the 3 year rule, but i know other teachers on this
    >> forum, may have a better idea.
    >> Best of luck to all Teachers out there.
    >Guys please check out the NOOSR Country education profile. I came to see
    >that BEd degree from Indian Universities are approved by NOOSR as
    >equivalent to the Australian teaching degree.

Old Oct 18th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Gaz,
I dont think working in the surburbs is that bad. Not sure about how far out of the city the line is drawn. Thanks for your update. Very informative. Checked back through forum, and found serval threads on this subject.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=teaching+aus

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...teaching+metro

I see that your time line is about one week behind us. Keep us infomred how you get on. If you paid by CC, it should have been charged by now, so check statements on line. One step further.

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:15 pm
ktd
Just Joined

ktd is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Teachers - a word of warning

Originally Posted by ali south
Wanted to share with other teachers who plan to apply that my teaching degree was not recognised by the Australian officials because it was only 3 years in duration. When you read the points information etc it seems that teachers are a sure thing for gaining a visa. Luckily my skills assessment was poitive but as an education officer.
Tara
Hi all,
am a new member to expats but have been reading for a while.
Absolutely gutted as had happily sent off my skilled assessment thinking no probs! This is easy part. Posted it off on monday and then discovered your thread on thursday.
BIG PROBLEM as my teaching degree was only three years despite having taught primary for 5yrs.#
Have spent last week in tears and husband has big shock as we needed 60 points to get our visa.
This has made us think twice about using migration agent, as possib;y we would have been advised on this and are sure there are going to be loads of hiccups like this one.
Feeling very disheartened and just praying that i have a YTS working on my skill ass at NOOSR who doesnt pick up on 3yr major problem
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ktd
Hi all,
am a new member to expats but have been reading for a while.
Absolutely gutted as had happily sent off my skilled assessment thinking no probs! This is easy part. Posted it off on monday and then discovered your thread on thursday.
BIG PROBLEM as my teaching degree was only three years despite having taught primary for 5yrs.#
Have spent last week in tears and husband has big shock as we needed 60 points to get our visa.
This has made us think twice about using migration agent, as possib;y we would have been advised on this and are sure there are going to be loads of hiccups like this one.
Feeling very disheartened and just praying that i have a YTS working on my skill ass at NOOSR who doesnt pick up on 3yr major problem
good luck, you may be fine, please let me know how you get on, talk to Go Matilda, they are great
Tara

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.