Teacher wanting to migrate to Perth

Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

topgunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teacher wanting to migrate to Perth

Hi everyone.

My first post here so sorry if I repeat anything that has been asked before but I had a little look and couldnt see specific answers so here goes:

I am hoping to relocate to Perth WA in 2012 and was hoping for a bit of advice and guidance. I am a fully qualified secondary maths teacher with 2 years experience and my wife is a qualified primary teacher but would only be looking for a part time job. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how difficult the process will be for us (we also have 2 children - ages 4 and 8mth currently).

I was hoping for advice on what would be the best visa for us, where is good to live, how competitive are jobs and how do I go about getting one. I have looked at a few websites but i'm hoping for the advice of people who have done it and can be honest with it.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher wanting to migrate to Perth

Hi and welcome

You are most probably looking at skilled migration, the 175 or 176 visas and as the secondary teacher you are the suitable applicant. It is pretty hard for a primary teacher these days as state sponsorship is required.

I am not really sure I understand what you are looking for when you ask how hard it will be for you specifically. I imagine it will be about the same as it is for anyone else.

Have you taken a points test and do you have enough points? There is a new points test coming out soon so worth checking if you pass the old one and the new one. Take a look at Teaching Australia for details of the skills assessment, I believe some routes to teaching we have in the UK ar enot acceptable in Australia, something called the GTP? (I am not a teacher so not well versed in this but I have read about it).

I really would recommend you focus on the visa process and not where to live or even jobs at the moment. You will find it easier than your wife to find work as a maths teacher.