Teacher training in oz...help!

Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

rossy28 will become famous soon enoughrossy28 will become famous soon enough
Default Teacher training in oz...help!

Morning all,

just had a mate come and visit us on the sunshine coast and he is looking for ways to get here for good.

Can any one give any advice?

He is 28 single and looking to train as a teacher,how does student visa work in this field?

Any help would be great!

Thank you
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Re: Teacher training in oz...help!

Firstly I would re post this message on the teacher specific section under jobs as you may get a wider response.

I was in the same situation when I came over to OZ on a working holiday visa. For me the teacher training options in OZ were out of my reach in terms of cost. This was mainly because, as a non resident you would have to pay international student rates. If your friend has a degree, they can do a one year pgce in the UK; the fees for this course are paid by the government and your friend may also be entitled to a monthly living allowance while they are training. The pgce is a recognised teaching qualification in OZ and I have got my permanent residency visa now on the strength of it.

Hope this helps and good luck to your friend
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

crouts81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teacher training in oz...help!

He can get a Student Visa if accepted onto a Teacher Training course at a Uniiversity in Oz. I did this in 2005, studying at Griffith on the Gold Coast. But, as the previous poster said, it is expensive. I had a great time though, and, having taught in UK for 3 years, am waiting for my 175 visa to move back to Oz permamently.