Teacher 457 visa~ medical needed???

Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

sarahchick28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teacher 457 visa~ medical needed???

Hi guys,
please help me,first time on here..
I have been offered a teaching post in S/A starting this Jan.
The school are currently sorting out my nomination etc before i apply for my 457 visa.

Has anyone been through this process and if so did they have to do the medicals?
The information on the immi pdf states that anyone from the uk on a 457 does not need a medical unless *special signifcance applies. Then reading below it says that if you are from medium or high risk countries (uk=low risk) then a chest x-ray and medical is required.

Other teachers I know, who have done a teacher swap etc with australia have had to undergo medicals but not sure if do. In theory i should wait for the visa people to contact me but i also need to ensure the process is done quickly~i have 2months before my contract starts!

Is anyone on here a secondary teacher who could advise me please on the medicals..
sarah x

Last edited by sarahchick28; Nov 12th 2010 at 5:20 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher 457 visa~ medical needed???

I am not a teacher, however I think as you will be working with children you will need a medical. But not 100%.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:39 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahchick28
Hi guys,
please help me,first time on here..
I have been offered a teaching post in S/A starting this Jan.
The school are currently sorting out my nomination etc before i apply for my 457 visa.

Has anyone been through this process and if so did they have to do the medicals?
The information on the immi pdf states that anyone from the uk on a 457 does not need a medical unless *special signifcance applies. Then reading below it says that if you are from medium or high risk countries (uk=low risk) then a chest x-ray and medical is required.

Other teachers I know, who have done a teacher swap etc with australia have had to undergo medicals but not sure if do. In theory i should wait for the visa people to contact me but i also need to ensure the process is done quickly~i have 2months before my contract starts!

Is anyone on here a secondary teacher who could advise me please on the medicals..
sarah x
WOW a teacher getting sponsorship? You must have a pretty unique skillset?! Do you know much about the school etc?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not a teacher, however I think as you will be working with children you will need a medical. But not 100%.
You're 100% Bermudashorts

Health examination for visa applicants

Temporary visa applicants
Health examinations will depend on your circumstances, your intended activities in Australia, and your country of origin or residence. You will need to undertake a health examination if:

you are likely to enter a hospital or other health care environment, including nursing homes as either a patient, visitor, trainee or employee
you are likely to enter a classroom environment, including preschool, crèche and child care situations
you are known or suspected of having a medical condition, regardless of your length of stay
you are aged 75 years or older
there are indications that you may not meet the health requirement.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Teacher 457 visa~ medical needed???

Hi Guys,
thank you for your responses
Yes i know i am lucky getting sponsorship for teaching. Iam a pe teacher and had a year sabbatical out in qld where i was working for a company teaching outdoor education. I have now been offered a teaching job for pe and outdoor education. Both exam based subjects! wow~ pe and surfing, climbing, snorkeling etc.

I have now booked my medicals for wed as lots of people have said that i would need them and the above post kind of confirms that. I would rather be ahead of the game as i start teaching in Jan, so not long to sort all this. I have my skills assessment, english test, and police checks!

I have now signed the contract etc with the school but i am waiting for the nomination to come through then we can both submitt our forms! i hate this waiting game, i wish it was as quick as the working holiday visa! but i know its nothing compared to a 175 i know!

this is still stressful though.
Is anyone else on here going through the 457 visa in S/A?
sarah x
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

p.s yes the school is my friends local school, he used to work there..so i know its a good one and its not outback... xx
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:37 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

p.s yes the school is my friends local school, he used to work there..so i know its a good one and its not outback... xx
That's fab Sarah, well done, very exciting stuff, I take it u hope to get PR eventually? Where is the school? I teach in Toowoomba myself...Primary tho...
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Teacher Sponsorhsip! Woohoo.

Well done Sarah.

Interestingly I have done the year exchange and we didn't need medicals (back then at least) but it is a given these days.

Good luck on the timing.

Out of ineterest where in SA are you going - I only ask as really enjoyed Adelaide last time we were there but thought it was a bit small compared to Brisbane etc.

Bezza
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Teacher 457 visa~ medical needed???

Thanks Jen and Bezza,
its on the coast, mount gambia...
i love brisbane, i have distant family there and have spent most of my time in brisbane teaching outdoor ed, so hope to return as soon as possible.
I do def want pr hopefully through the ENS, perm route..
but at the moment i am happy with the 457 to get me started.

How have you both found teaching in Australia?
xxxx
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:28 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Thanks Jen and Bezza,
its on the coast, mount gambia...
i love brisbane, i have distant family there and have spent most of my time in brisbane teaching outdoor ed, so hope to return as soon as possible.
I do def want pr hopefully through the ENS, perm route..
but at the moment i am happy with the 457 to get me started.

How have you both found teaching in Australia?
xxxx
So far so good ta, I've been doing relief work since my rego came thru late may and I've been turning work down, it's been very busy!!!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi jen,
Is your regional a perm one?
what is towoomba like?
i feel like i cant relax and be myself until that visa is actually posted through! i hate this wait.. i dont know whether to get my perm 175 (with sponsorship) in before the new visa come in july or not! or just wait and see and think we at least iam in auz for 4 years..

i guess you never fully settle until you have a perm visa.
pleased its working well for you ..xx
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hi jen,
Is your regional a perm one?
what is towoomba like?
i feel like i cant relax and be myself until that visa is actually posted through! i hate this wait.. i dont know whether to get my perm 175 (with sponsorship) in before the new visa come in july or not! or just wait and see and think we at least iam in auz for 4 years..

i guess you never fully settle until you have a perm visa.
pleased its working well for you ..xx
Visa is a PR one and Toowoomba is good ta, if a little bit too far from the coast for my liking!