Tax Query on Defacto visa- anyone help?

Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Curly_wurly is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tax Query on Defacto visa- anyone help?

Hi folks

I was recently on a WHV until being given a Defacto visa last month and I’m just wondering if anyone knows about the aus tax rules. Ive looked at the ATO website and from what I can work out in my simple terms I am now a Resident for tax purposes and entitled to the full $6,000 allowance and lower tax rates (which I wasn’t on a WHV). And so will get a nice refund after 30 June when I do my tax return!!

My question is - will I now be treated as a resident for the full yr from 1 July 04 to 30 June 05? As it is now my intention to stay in Australia. This was my understanding of it but a few of my colleagues thought that maybe I would only be resident from the date of my defacto visa being granted? And therefore would be lucky to get any refund?

Sorry if this is too technical, but thought maybe someone been in same position..
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:31 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Tax Query on Defacto visa- anyone help?

Originally Posted by Curly_wurly
Hi folks

I was recently on a WHV until being given a Defacto visa last month and I’m just wondering if anyone knows about the aus tax rules. Ive looked at the ATO website and from what I can work out in my simple terms I am now a Resident for tax purposes and entitled to the full $6,000 allowance and lower tax rates (which I wasn’t on a WHV). And so will get a nice refund after 30 June when I do my tax return!!

My question is - will I now be treated as a resident for the full yr from 1 July 04 to 30 June 05? As it is now my intention to stay in Australia. This was my understanding of it but a few of my colleagues thought that maybe I would only be resident from the date of my defacto visa being granted? And therefore would be lucky to get any refund?

Sorry if this is too technical, but thought maybe someone been in same position..
Hi

You could try sending mamichelle a PM as I think she successfully claimed her tax back in a similar situation.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When you fill in your tax returm you get the chance to state on what date you became a "tax resident".
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Curly_wurly
Hi folks

From my experience, even if in Australia, but on another visa you can claim back your working holiday visa tax. You would have done a new tax form for your employer as you are now in a different bracket I imagine, so if you give your papers to one of the plethora of companies who do tax refunds for working holiday makers, you should get a nice sum back. I used taxback.com but others include: Skilled Accounting, Travellers Xpress, The Refunder, Prime Tax Experts, Hexagon tax. These are all in Sydney. PM me for contact numbers if you want. I'm sure there are loads in Melbourne too.

Last edited by mamichelle; Apr 12th 2005 at 4:06 am. Reason: typo