Taking computers

Old Jan 20th 2002, 7:11 pm
Pierre

Having obtained my visa, I am now making preparations for my move to Australia. Would
it be a problem to take 3 or 4 computers, or could that be considered business
inventory? I know everything should at least be one year old, the problem is I have
nothing to prove the age of my computers because most of them are build of scrap
materials (P-200's) en the newest one (PII-450) was part of a sponsordeal, so no
invoices or anything similar. On the other hand, processortype should be proof enough
about the computers age. Question is, would customs agree. Does anyone know?

thanks, Peter

Old Jan 21st 2002, 6:00 am
Markus

Hi Peter,

customs were not too fussy about the items I took with me. On the form one has to
fill in (do you ship it by air-/sea-freight ?) I just stated that none of the items
of my sea-freight were less than one year old and customs didn't even want any proof.
I guess, they don't care too much about personal belongings but rather about bigger
imports. Don't know though, whether 4 computers count as personal belongings. Just
make a nice packing list for them stating processor types and it should be ok, I
believe. I had "two computers" on my packing list and they didn't care (actually the
"second computer" was just a SCSI drive case, but what's the difference for a removal
company )

One agency that take things very precisely is Quarantine (AQIS). I had to make an
appointment with them at the freight depot, so that the officer could have a look at
the wheels of my bikes !!!

Markus

Pierre wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 21st 2002, 12:29 pm
Steve Batt

Hi Pierre,

I also brought 2 computers through, a 450, and 1gig. No problems, customs were only
interested in shoes and food as i came from uk. My freight arrived only last month.
Hope this helps.

Steve