Super Urgent - Citizenship application

Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:01 am
Just Joined

monologue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Super Urgent - Citizenship application

Hi guys,

I am in Melbourne got my PR last year on 10th July 2009 and I am eligible to apply for my citizenship on 10th July 2010 when i meet the residential requirement.

However, i am facing a serious delimma that I have to go to the UK on 1st Sep 2010 and gonna stay there for 4months, (i can't change my schedule). So my plan was to apply the citizenship as soon as possible and get the approval letter and, then, travel to the UK while delaying my ceremony by contacting the immigration office for the reason that i am going to the UK.

Once i got my approval letter, then there will be no problem i will travel using my current passport. So, my question: Is it optimistic to get my approval letter (NOT ceremony) within about 7 or 8 weeks after I lodge my citizenship application?

Any comments will be much appreciated

Last edited by monologue; Apr 15th 2010 at 5:26 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Super Urgent - Citizenship application

Originally Posted by monologue
Hi guys,

Once i got my approval letter, then there will be no problem i will travel using my current passport. So, my question: Is it optimistic to get my approval letter (NOT ceremony) within about 7 or 8 weeks after I lodge my citizenship application?

Any comments will be much appreciated
Hi monologue, it depends on case by case. if your name coincides with criminals then it would take some extra time for the department for the verification. They always say it can take up to 3 months generally.
My citizenship application was approved the day after i submitted the application and ceremony was 4 weeks later on.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by believer
the day after i submitted the application and ceremony was 4 weeks later on.
The day after????? wow, that is pretty impressive...Did you apply in person using paper application?? or did you apply before the changes in the rules? Amazing,,,the day after...
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough

The day after????? wow, that is pretty impressive...Did you apply in person using paper application?? or did you apply before the changes in the rules? Amazing,,,the day after...
I applied in person after the changes. But most importantly they will CRIMtrac your name first anyway.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

I need your help!!!
Any more comments would be much appreciated guys.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:17 am
Just Joined

TonyTr is an unknown quantity at this point

7 weeks should be enough. Mine - 4weeks !
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TonyTr
7 weeks should be enough. Mine - 4weeks !
Thanks mate!! That would be lovely...hope i can get one within 4 weeks as well.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate!! That would be lovely...hope i can get one within 4 weeks as well.
You may get it ... or you may not.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Any more comments would be much appreciated guys.
We are in Perth and as my signature says:
01/02/2010: Posted citizenship application
05/02/2010: Got date for test
24/02/2010: Passed citizenship test 20/20
02/03/2010: Got acceptance letter

You can see that from posting the application form to sitting the test was 3 weeks. And it only took a week from passing the test to getting the acceptance letter. (We have not yet the letter telling us to attend a citizenship ceremony. I expect that to get that in September.)

You need to put on the application form the likely dates you will be out of the country for in the next 12 months and the reason why. (There are boxes to complete for it.)

My advice would be: Download the form. Check that you have all the required documentation (do you need a new UK police check?). Sign it (and get it co-signed - see the form for this) on 10 July 2010 and post it the same day. You *should* get your test date before you leave the country.

When the approval letter comes after that is irrelevant. It's the test date that you have to worry about.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We are in Perth and as my signature says:
01/02/2010: Posted citizenship application
05/02/2010: Got date for test
24/02/2010: Passed citizenship test 20/20
02/03/2010: Got acceptance letter

You can see that from posting the application form to sitting the test was 3 weeks. And it only took a week from passing the test to getting the acceptance letter. (We have not yet the letter telling us to attend a citizenship ceremony. I expect that to get that in September.)

You need to put on the application form the likely dates you will be out of the country for in the next 12 months and the reason why. (There are boxes to complete for it.)

My advice would be: Download the form. Check that you have all the required documentation (do you need a new UK police check?). Sign it (and get it co-signed - see the form for this) on 10 July 2010 and post it the same day. You *should* get your test date before you leave the country.

When the approval letter comes after that is irrelevant. It's the test date that you have to worry about.
Nice if it is all done quickly. One friend in Brisbane recently waited 4 months after submitting the form, then when the test date finally arrived it was smack bang in the period which she had clearly written on the form was the time she would be OUTSIDE Australia on holiday! She now has to apply for a new test date when she gets back as they can't rebook apparently more than a week ahead!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I do not need a UK police check cuz this is the first time i am going to the UK,
THanks for you advice
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nice if it is all done quickly. One friend in Brisbane recently waited 4 months after submitting the form, then when the test date finally arrived it was smack bang in the period which she had clearly written on the form was the time she would be OUTSIDE Australia on holiday! She now has to apply for a new test date when she gets back as they can't rebook apparently more than a week ahead!
4months??? from the submission to the test??? that's bloody loooong~~
Oh gosh, i don't know what to do..cuz i am going to the UK to do a phd,
was planning to come back to AU after 4 months during the Christmas holidays to rearrange and attend the ceremony if i could..
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gosh, i don't know what to do.
Don't panic just yet. Waiting 4 months for the test date is very unusual. Most people get their test date within a few weeks.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Perth...

January 2009 phoned DIAC for test appointment.
Did test February 2009. Passed with 100%.
Approval letter received end May 2009.
Date for ceremony given - Australia Day 2010. Unable to attend so next available date offered - July 2010. Said no ****ing way; we would withdraw our application and demand a refund. Private ceremony done 18 March 2010.

Don't rely on getting anything within 4 weeks.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gosh, i don't know what to do..cuz i am going to the UK to do a phd,
was planning to come back to AU after 4 months during the Christmas holidays to rearrange and attend the ceremony if i could..

Migrants in Canada face an 18 month/2 year long processing time for citizenship, so even if it takes 4 months, that's not all that long.

Second, you had better hope they believe you when you say you intend to continue living in Australia ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.