Subclass 157 and PR once there - Pls Help

Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

AussieNikki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Subclass 157 and PR once there - Pls Help

Hi all

looking for some advise as struggling to find any information. I am in the process of applying for a 157 RRV, which if granted, will only give me 3 months temp residence. Can anyone please tell me how I would go about applying for permanent residence in that 3 months? I cant seem to find any info regarding what visa I would need to get PR and 3 months is not a very long time, so want to be prepared - fore warned is fore armed.

Would be grateful for any help anyone can give?

thanks

Nikki
Old Jul 31st 2014, 12:14 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subclass 157 and PR once there - Pls Help

If you stay in Australia then your status as a Permanent Resident continues - the only thing that expires after the three month RRV expiration date is your ability to leave and re-enter Australia. If you settle, get a home, job etc. then after living in Australia for 24 months you would be eligible for a 5 year RRV or maybe even Citizenship depending on your previous time living in Australia.

You don't need to apply for PR - you already have it, you just need to fulfil a residence requirement to be able to get an RRV to travel overseas and re-enter.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 2:40 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, if you get the RRV you are applying for, you do not need to get another visa when you get here, as you are deemed to already have PR.
However I would suggest you do not travel overseas once you arrive on the RRV for a bit, as you would then have to apply for another RRV.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieNikki
Hi all

looking for some advise as struggling to find any information. I am in the process of applying for a 157 RRV, which if granted, will only give me 3 months temp residence. Can anyone please tell me how I would go about applying for permanent residence in that 3 months? I cant seem to find any info regarding what visa I would need to get PR and 3 months is not a very long time, so want to be prepared - fore warned is fore armed.

Would be grateful for any help anyone can give?

thanks

Nikki
In order to get a RRV you have to already be a permanent resident. So it isn't a case of getting the RRV and then getting permanent residency, the very concept is flawed. The RRV is the visa which allows permanent residents to travel in and out of Australia.

I see from earlier posts that you had PR when you were younger but left Australia a long time ago. Nothing really new to say here, but the 3 month one is probably not the visa you would be going for anyway, that is more for emergency situations. You will either be refused or get a one year RRV I think.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your help everyone, thats brilliant news. I didnt realise it worked like that thank you so much
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your help everyone, thats brilliant news. I didnt realise it worked like that thank you so much
I am not so sure why you are so happy? I am not sure what brilliant news you think you have heard here?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

It's brilliant news, Bermuda, Because I thought that I'd have a hefty job in front of me once I got to Australia to try and get PR. The news above was a relief.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's brilliant news, Bermuda, Because I thought that I'd have a hefty job in front of me once I got to Australia to try and get PR. The news above was a relief.
Ok, I misunderstood, I didn't realise you actually had the RRV yet.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

AussieLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scotty1
As mentioned, if you get the RRV you are applying for, you do not need to get another visa when you get here, as you are deemed to already have PR.
However I would suggest you do not travel overseas once you arrive on the RRV for a bit, as you would then have to apply for another RRV.
Bermuda I think this is more the good news - Nikki hasn't had her RRV approved as yet, we are currently awaiting processing of this as I type this (Yes I am her partner)

It is good news that when/if it is granted it will be for longer than a 3 month period therefore allowing Nikki to relax somewhat as this whole visa application has been quite confusing for us both, and poor Nikki has done the legwork in getting information and putting it all together bless her.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Subclass 157 and PR once there - Pls Help

Great news

Nikki has just received confirmation that her RRV has been granted!!! They granted a subclass 155 which is for 5 years!!!

I'm so excited I couldn't wait for her to finish work to post on here (sorry Nikki )

Thanks to all those that gave her information and support in the lead up to lodging the Visa application
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieLuke
Great news

Nikki has just received confirmation that her RRV has been granted!!! They granted a subclass 155 which is for 5 years!!!

I'm so excited I couldn't wait for her to finish work to post on here (sorry Nikki )

Thanks to all those that gave her information and support in the lead up to lodging the Visa application
I'm not sure a 155 is necessarily for 5 years - DIBP should state the travel expiry on the visa grant - but congratulations to both of you
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news and answers the question of whether using a tourist visa automatically cancels a PR visa. Like old.sparkles I suspect it will be for 12 months though, perhaps you could confirm either way.

Hope all goes well for you both in your new location!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
That's great news and answers the question of whether using a tourist visa automatically cancels a PR visa. Like old.sparkles I suspect it will be for 12 months though, perhaps you could confirm either way.

Hope all goes well for you both in your new location!
Hi Sparkles and Louie,

Luke is right, they have granted me a 155 visa which states 5 years, with indefinite leave to remain. Visa expires in 2025. But I will be a citizen by that time.

Thank you so much, as Luke says, for all the information and help you've given me :P
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:55 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sparkles and Louie,

Luke is right, they have granted me a 155 visa which states 5 years, with indefinite leave to remain. Visa expires in 2025. But I will be a citizen by that time.

Thank you so much, as Luke says, for all the information and help you've given me :P
Doesn't sound quite right - the only way listed to get a 5 year RRV, which would have the travel portion expire in 2019, is if you have spent 2 of the last 5 years in Australia. Otherwise it should be a 1 year travel period.

But that doesn't take away from your success - again congratulations When are you hoping to travel?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sparkles,

Nikki is looking at travelling sometime in October at this stage. That'd give her time to get her affairs in order, give notice at her work etc.

I am not sure how they granted a 5 year RRV, but that is what it says -

"Notification of grant of a Return (Residence) (class BB) Five Year Resident Return
(subclass 155) visa"

We are both over the moon as you would expect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.