Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Subclass 121 versus 457 - Any fundamental differences?

Subclass 121 versus 457 - Any fundamental differences?

Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Barrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Subclass 121 versus 457 - Any fundamental differences?

Originally Posted by paraponte
I enquired about a 121 or 856 visa and they agreed (well sort of) response below:

From memory I think permanent residency through business sponsorship requires it to be a ‘highly skilled’ position ‘which can not be filled by the local market’. This may mean that slight changes to the position title and position description will need to be made.

hhhmm

what is the usual proceedure in moving from a 457 visa to one which gives PR?

Thanks
Seems more or less the dilemma I have at the moment - have had an email from the Co. to confirm a job offer will be coming my way, and they want to start working the 457 visa process.

As you'd expect I (and especially The Wife) are a bit concerned seeing anything with 'Temporary', what with two kids, selling the house, etc so will be trying for PR first. Trouble is, my occupation isn't on the skills list, despite the shortage of logistic engineers :-/

Actually, while I think of it, can anyone confirm what the family would be missing out on whilst in-country on a 457 rather than PR?

Cheers :-)

Last edited by Barrian; Oct 24th 2007 at 12:59 pm. Reason: forgot an obvious question
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

paraponte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barrian
Seems more or less the dilemma I have at the moment - have had an email from the Co. to confirm a job offer will be coming my way, and they want to start working the 457 visa process.

As you'd expect I (and especially The Wife) are a bit concerned seeing anything with 'Temporary', what with two kids, selling the house, etc so will be trying for PR first. Trouble is, my occupation isn't on the skills list, despite the shortage of logistic engineers :-/

Actually, while I think of it, can anyone confirm what the family would be missing out on whilst in-country on a 457 rather than PR?

Cheers :-)
Child benifits and medi care i think, and just about anything else you would normaly get.
In some states Ive heard you have to contribute to schools, dont quote me on this im still trying to find out myself.
A 457 is a quick way in though
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Child benifits and medi care i think, and just about anything else you would normaly get.
In some states Ive heard you have to contribute to schools, dont quote me on this im still trying to find out myself.
A 457 is a quick way in though
you have to pay for primary school in NSW but not QLD. Not sure about other states/ages

If you're from UK you get reciprocal health benefits on medicare but it'll still cost you!

Theres a 457 waiting thread on here which may have some useful info for you.

Also theres a wki link on BE that gives a lot of info
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Safin
you have to pay for primary school in NSW but not QLD. Not sure about other states/ages

If you're from UK you get reciprocal health benefits on medicare but it'll still cost you!

How come only your children required meds on the 457 visa if you dont mind me asking?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Barrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone got any details on the primary and secondary charges (if any) in Victoria/Meloburne?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

How come only your children required meds on the 457 visa if you dont mind me asking?
because our visa is for 12 months not more.

No automatic need to anything unless your are going into classrooms (hence the kids) or medical enviroments but they reserve the right to ask for stuff though. We are praying that isn't going to happen now after the kids being cleared 3 weeks ago!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

because our visa is for 12 months not more.

No automatic need to anything unless your are going into classrooms (hence the kids) or medical enviroments but they reserve the right to ask for stuff though. We are praying that isn't going to happen now after the kids being cleared 3 weeks ago!
Oh I see
your only there for a year

all the best
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

From memory I think permanent residency through business sponsorship requires it to be a ‘highly skilled’ position ‘which can not be filled by the local market’. This may mean that slight changes to the position title and position description will need to be made.
It doesn't sound like the employer understands the rather fundamental changes made to the employer nominated visa rules in April 2005.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by incircles
Tax Liability- ie switiching between a 457 and a 121, ie between two tax rates. why would they cover my costs on this ?
You have completely misunderstood the issue. It has nothing to do with switching from 457 to 121.

If a company is paying repatriation costs, you may have a tax liability on these. The company should be committed to settle the tax liabilty too.

Same goes for any relocation costs they are going to cover for you to move out to Australia. They should be paying any associated tax costs.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

any kids going into to school will need meds and kids over 12 I think need chest xrays. adults do not need full meds unless they are teachers or healtcare workers I believe.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:17 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It doesn't sound like the employer understands the rather fundamental changes made to the employer nominated visa rules in April 2005.
Further to Jeremy's note, information about the eligibility criteria for the approval of the nomination and visa applications under the ENS is on the immi website:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ligibility.htm

Labour Market Testing disappeared a couple of years ago - save only that some Regional Certifying Bodies ask for LMT when an employer is seeking RCB approval under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (the regional variant of the ENS).

Best regards.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Further to Jeremy's note, information about the eligibility criteria for the approval of the nomination and visa applications under the ENS is on the immi website:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ligibility.htm

Labour Market Testing disappeared a couple of years ago - save only that some Regional Certifying Bodies ask for LMT when an employer is seeking RCB approval under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (the regional variant of the ENS).

Best regards.
And to add to what Alan says, even if the job is in a regional area, the Regional Certifying Bodies can be avoided if the applicant is eligible for ENS. The ENS option is available everywhere in Australia, even if RSMS is also there as an alternative.

The other circumstance in which labour market testing may be required is if there's a request to waive some of the standard ENS requirements on "exceptional" grounds, eg the 45 age limit.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh I see
your only there for a year

all the best
well we are really hoping to be there more than a year but this gets us in and we figure its got to be easier job (sponsor) hunting from there than here! if nothing else it'll give us a few more points as we don't have quite enough right now to go independantly of a sponsor
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
And to add to what Alan says, even if the job is in a regional area, the Regional Certifying Bodies can be avoided if the applicant is eligible for ENS. The ENS option is available everywhere in Australia, even if RSMS is also there as an alternative.

The other circumstance in which labour market testing may be required is if there's a request to waive some of the standard ENS requirements on "exceptional" grounds, eg the 45 age limit.
Does that mean that even for RSMS labour market testing is seldom used by the certifying body unless for a request to waive an example of what you stated above? Does a position have to be in the demand list of the region before the regional certifying body would certify even though it is in the SOL list?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:27 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

We have found that labour market testing is mentioned as a requirement by most of the RCBs. This can be negotiated, but ultimately satisfying the LMT requirement and the cost of an advert isn't particularly onerous.

Note that RCB approval is only required for a RSMS application - it isn't relevant to a visa application under the Employer Nomination Scheme.

Best regards.