Studying Hairdressing with view to PR

Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:14 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Studying Hairdressing with view to PR

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Paul & Nic

I hope you don't mind me asking......did you do the fast track course? If so, did you do 5 days a week? How did you find it?

I've got 2 kids and am wondering whether i'm going to find it tough? or whether i should stick to the 3 days a week option and maybe take a bit longer to do the course? What are your views?
I did the course in as quick as possible!

5 days a week for the first 12, then 3 for the rest of the course.

When I did it, you couldn't do any more than 3 days but with rules changing they for all I know offer you the chance to do 5 ... I dunno!

I could go on about 'criteria' for when *I* did the course, but that was only relevant to THEN!

Looks like things are a changing!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I did the course in as quick as possible!

5 days a week for the first 12, then 3 for the rest of the course.

When I did it, you couldn't do any more than 3 days but with rules changing they for all I know offer you the chance to do 5 ... I dunno!

I could go on about 'criteria' for when *I* did the course, but that was only relevant to THEN!

Looks like things are a changing!

yeah, you can now do 5 days x a week for a year then 2 days x a week to complete the salon management, about 72 weeks in total. I suppose its best to complete it as quick as poss!

But now its all changing as regards to the work experience aspect, it confuses things!

Thanks for your help! I ight be back to quiz you on areas to live and schools if you don't mind

Becky!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:48 am
Account Closed

yeah, you can now do 5 days x a week for a year then 2 days x a week to complete the salon management, about 72 weeks in total. I suppose its best to complete it as quick as poss!

But now its all changing as regards to the work experience aspect, it confuses things!

Thanks for your help! I ight be back to quiz you on areas to live and schools if you don't mind

Becky!
Yeah when I did it 72 weeks of full time (25 hours pw) was all that was needed to satisfy DIAC. I don't know if this has changed!!

I wouldn't bother with the salon management as I know people who did it and said it was rubbish. Time spent in a classroom browsing the net! ...

End of the day, 'as we speak' a Cert III is all you need to apply for PR, I wouldn't bother with the rest!

Oh and you don't want to hear MY opinion on schools! ... Two teens both doing VERY well in the UK. Both left last year without a qualification to their name! ...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:22 am
Just Joined

toniclare has a brilliant futuretoniclare has a brilliant futuretoniclare has a brilliant futuretoniclare has a brilliant futuretoniclare has a brilliant futuretoniclare has a brilliant futuretoniclare has a brilliant future

I'll be doing a hairdressing diploma, now with the new MAP from TRA, can I do my 900 hours while I'm studying at college or does it have to be after you're qualified? Can I include private hairdressing work or is it just being employed in a salon? I wish they wouldn't change things and not for the better.......
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by toniclare
I'll be doing a hairdressing diploma, now with the new MAP from TRA, can I do my 900 hours while I'm studying at college or does it have to be after you're qualified? Can I include private hairdressing work or is it just being employed in a salon? I wish they wouldn't change things and not for the better.......
When I did the course, my schools 900 hours was good to go for the TRA.

I can't speak tho for now.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice

Yeah when I did it 72 weeks of full time (25 hours pw) was all that was needed to satisfy DIAC. I don't know if this has changed!!

I wouldn't bother with the salon management as I know people who did it and said it was rubbish. Time spent in a classroom browsing the net! ...

End of the day, 'as we speak' a Cert III is all you need to apply for PR, I wouldn't bother with the rest!

Oh and you don't want to hear MY opinion on schools! ... Two teens both doing VERY well in the UK. Both left last year without a qualification to their name! ...
Hi Paul,

so you say as soon as you have your certificate III in hairdressing and the 900 hours training required you can apply for your PR even if you havent completed the 2 year course? Obviously i know you would need to stay on the course till the PR was granted. My course is mon-fri full time (fri avo off) for the first year and the 2nd year is mon-wed, its a private college in adelaide and the course manager Robyn said that you usually gain the 900 hours between 13 and 18 months into the course and the first year you do your cert III then the 2nd year is the salon management. I thought you had to get the full diploma before applying for PR??

Sharon
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sharonmcallister
Hi Paul,

so you say as soon as you have your certificate III in hairdressing and the 900 hours training required you can apply for your PR even if you havent completed the 2 year course? Obviously i know you would need to stay on the course till the PR was granted. My course is mon-fri full time (fri avo off) for the first year and the 2nd year is mon-wed, its a private college in adelaide and the course manager Robyn said that you usually gain the 900 hours between 13 and 18 months into the course and the first year you do your cert III then the 2nd year is the salon management. I thought you had to get the full diploma before applying for PR??

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

I knew how it all worked for when *I* was studying / applying for PR (pre Sept 1 07). A lot has changed since then so I'm not the best person to ask I'm afraid.

When I did it, you could apply for PR once you had your cert III, a min of 72 weeks of study at a min of 25 hours pw, and had applied for your skills assessment.

Without sounding harsh, I have my PR now, my mission is over, so it's for you guy's to do YOUR research as to how you go about it.

As I say, a lot's changed and I'm sure there will be more changes to come. You just have to keep on top if it all, and cross fingers!

Good luck to you! ...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Cisco is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Studying Hairdressing with view to PR

Because Im 30 when i finish the course i have 5 points less of the required 120. I have decided to study in a regional area and makeup the extra 5 points need to get 120 to apply for pr. I noticed that the courses in regional tafe are different. eg. certificate III is done in 18 months in Townsville whereas in Sydney i can do certificate III, IV, and salon management in 24 months. Is there any reason for this? Supposedly you only need to study certificate III to apply for pr with 120 points.....i think?

thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sharon,

I knew how it all worked for when *I* was studying / applying for PR (pre Sept 1 07). A lot has changed since then so I'm not the best person to ask I'm afraid.

When I did it, you could apply for PR once you had your cert III, a min of 72 weeks of study at a min of 25 hours pw, and had applied for your skills assessment.

Without sounding harsh, I have my PR now, my mission is over, so it's for you guy's to do YOUR research as to how you go about it.

As I say, a lot's changed and I'm sure there will be more changes to come. You just have to keep on top if it all, and cross fingers!

Good luck to you! ...
Well said! I would never have come all this way and spent all this money on the student route without spending months upon months researching and speaking with people ( thank God for my old job where I had the usage of the internet all day!!) Whereas it's nice to think you can get all your answers on here, I wouldn't take everyones word as gospel. The student route is a tricky one for people to give answers on. So my advice is, look on the immigration website or call them up. There is no easy way to do this. Some people will be lucky enough to be able to apply straight after their course, others will have to do the years experience and thats if the rules stay the same.

Good luck to you all tho

Esther
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sambo76
I would never have come all this way and spent all this money on the student route without spending months upon months researching and speaking with people
Exactly!

I first looked into getting into Oz in 2003, didn't enter the country till 2006.

MANY nights spent on here and the DIAC website trying to get it all right, with the most calculated chance of success, and a plan B if it didn't go to plan.

There's a lot of money to be wasted if it doesn't work! ... and at the end of the day you have NO guarantee it will!

Worthy of a shot tho if you ask me.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:33 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Not an issue if you study at a hairdressing college which has a MARA agent member of staff...there is one in Melbourne
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Can they stop immigration changing the rules?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Good Question?!!!

Although i suppose it helps keep up to date with whats going on.

Having someone there day to day saves you having to go and find out for yourselves and worrying about it.

Does the Brisbane school of hairdressing have these facilities?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to all

Interesting thread
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Why? Can they stop immigration changing the rules?

Does the Brisbane school of hairdressing have these facilities?
BSOH has a VERY informed 'International' person, and altho every conversation with them will include at the start "Now I'm not a migration agent, so don't take this literally" ... as I say, they are VERY informed of current changes.

I was liaising with this person when the TRA was talking about the 900 hour rule coming in. I was telling them that their schools 900 hours would HAVE to keep the TRA happy or I wasn't gonna go there (to that effect), and they said they'd keep me informed about the TRA's decision and THEIR school.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I waited till I got confirmation from the BSOH chap (and it came!) that their school's 900 hours was gonna keep the TRA happy, and when it came the house went on the market!

Now all this is irrelevant now as it's looking like the 'school gained' 900 hours isn't gonna suffice with the TRA, but I don't know if this is 'set in stone' yet? ...

Anyway, these places are often referred to as 'PR factories' ... and believe me it's in THIER interest to know EXCTLY how the TRA and DIAC will be changing things!!

9 out of my class of 10 was doing the course for PR! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.