Student visas- anyone?

Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Student visas- anyone?

Hi all,

this time last year there were loads of us posting asking about student visas, this year, not so many.
So, anyone planning on coming out on a student visa or have we put you all off with all our posts about them?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student visas- anyone?

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hi all,

this time last year there were loads of us posting asking about student visas, this year, not so many.
So, anyone planning on coming out on a student visa or have we put you all off with all our posts about them?
You scared them all away, PB.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:25 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Just had email from UK based MARA saying that with house values falling many cannot afford the extra cost (and sometimes vague outcomes). Still no change from Hungary, Serbia etc....even when in recession Oz is Nirvana

We are putting a lot more time now into demanding institutions do everything possible to assist students e.g. monthly fee payments, internships, in house MARA advice etc. and regional to at least know what their skill shortages are and match up international candidates (who will remain) with regional sponsors in appropriate occupational areas.

Colleague visiting Port Macquarie, Sunshine Coast, Cairns etc.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

we are flying out in early december
starting a horticulture 2 yr course in nambour,sunny coast in Jan.
really looking forward to life in OZ
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

gagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nice

We are still planning to come out dec09/jan10 but must admit that with the changes that take place in the system what seems every couple of days we are a little worried.

Hoping to do bricklaying course in nambour but with todays current climate little things are knocking our confidence. How are you guys that are in oz finding things at the moment?

I think we need a few more posts from people that have been successful in getting PR through studying
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gagno9
We are still planning to come out dec09/jan10 but must admit that with the changes that take place in the system what seems every couple of days we are a little worried.

Hoping to do bricklaying course in nambour but with todays current climate little things are knocking our confidence. How are you guys that are in oz finding things at the moment?

I think we need a few more posts from people that have been successful in getting PR through studying
I think your right. . there have been quite a lot of posts/threads from people studying over here, but not that many from people who have actually got the 'golden ticket' at the end.

Hopefully these threads/posts will come along soon. . .

Thats hubbies first year almost over, he finishes up in a couple of weeks. One year down. . .one more to go!! By Christmas, he'll have his 900 TRA hours too, so all good!!

We feel very settled here. . .and very happy. It's been a very quick first year.

Good luck all!!
Mandy
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon? I'm not understanding what this post means. There is no UK based MARA. MARA is the Migration Agent Registry in Australia. Could you please also explain this comment?
We are putting a lot more time now into demanding institutions do everything possible to assist students e.g. monthly fee payments, internships, in house MARA advice etc. and regional to at least know what their skill shortages are and match up international candidates (who will remain) with regional sponsors in appropriate occupational areas
I'm not sure who that is supposed to be attributed to.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy, one year down and one to go. Good luck with everything. As you know we lost out badly as we were let down by our agent last year. PM me if you want the name, as operates near you.
Still hoping to achieve a positive result at the end of the 3rd year of study and hopefully an MBA.
I think potential o/seas students are justifiably concerned about the financial commitment. There do seem to be constant changes to the visas, and could be caught like us, and have to face another years fees, to fulfill the new criteria. Not funny when on a tight budget.
Forums like this are invaluable for passing on information.
Like you would love to hear some success stories.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tomar
Hi Mandy, one year down and one to go. Good luck with everything. As you know we lost out badly as we were let down by our agent last year. PM me if you want the name, as operates near you.
Still hoping to achieve a positive result at the end of the 3rd year of study and hopefully an MBA.
I think potential o/seas students are justifiably concerned about the financial commitment. There do seem to be constant changes to the visas, and could be caught like us, and have to face another years fees, to fulfill the new criteria. Not funny when on a tight budget.
Forums like this are invaluable for passing on information.
Like you would love to hear some success stories.
Thanks Tomar,

I think that the TRA changes that were about to be put in place were a huge reality check for many. Although they did not get passed, the uncertainty around that is still there, I'm sure there are a lot of international students with everything crossed hoping that it doesn't come in during their study time.

For you, the 'hoop jumping' has been a pretty crap ride. . .I hope it all comes good for you!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Just had email from UK based MARA saying that with house values falling many cannot afford the extra cost (and sometimes vague outcomes). Still no change from Hungary, Serbia etc....even when in recession Oz is Nirvana

We are putting a lot more time now into demanding institutions do everything possible to assist students e.g. monthly fee payments, internships, in house MARA advice etc. and regional to at least know what their skill shortages are and match up international candidates (who will remain) with regional sponsors in appropriate occupational areas.

Colleague visiting Port Macquarie, Sunshine Coast, Cairns etc.
I am also very confused by what you are saying. As has been said MARA can not be UK based.
Also, who are the Royal we?

Hopefully in a year-18 months there will be lots of posts from people who have got their PR through student visas, I'm sure things will seem clearer then.

My course is getting to be a drag, people cheat and are allowed to get away with it, they hardly come to any classes, or they turn up for the first hour so their name is signed in, then they go home. I HATE most of my class mates, they just don't want to be there.

Finding relevant work experiance is quite hard here too, not many have managed it. Also, we are not sure for horticulture what exactly counts as relevant work experiance, and TRA won't answer questions on it. One person is getting close to his 900 hours at a garden centre though so as he will have his cert 3 he can apply to TRA and see if that is close enough for a 'nursery person', but I just can't see how working in a shop would be.

It also seems that on my course there is a large amount of confusion about this 18 month graduate visa. From talking to some of them today, they were telling me they are going home over the 2 month xmas holidays. I aksed how they were going to get their 900 hours in before the end of the course and they were saying they will get the graduate visa, which of course they can't.

Other than people on these sorts of sites I think there will be a lot of people heading home when they have finished their courses!

But on the positive side, we are in Australia, the weather is great and we are glad to be here, and certainly don't want to go back. It is only one more year, it is only one more year, it is only one more year....
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I am also very confused by what you are saying. As has been said MARA can not be UK based.
Also, who are the Royal we?

Hopefully in a year-18 months there will be lots of posts from people who have got their PR through student visas, I'm sure things will seem clearer then.

My course is getting to be a drag, people cheat and are allowed to get away with it, they hardly come to any classes, or they turn up for the first hour so their name is signed in, then they go home. I HATE most of my class mates, they just don't want to be there.

Finding relevant work experiance is quite hard here too, not many have managed it. Also, we are not sure for horticulture what exactly counts as relevant work experiance, and TRA won't answer questions on it. One person is getting close to his 900 hours at a garden centre though so as he will have his cert 3 he can apply to TRA and see if that is close enough for a 'nursery person', but I just can't see how working in a shop would be.

It also seems that on my course there is a large amount of confusion about this 18 month graduate visa. From talking to some of them today, they were telling me they are going home over the 2 month xmas holidays. I aksed how they were going to get their 900 hours in before the end of the course and they were saying they will get the graduate visa, which of course they can't.

Other than people on these sorts of sites I think there will be a lot of people heading home when they have finished their courses!

But on the positive side, we are in Australia, the weather is great and we are glad to be here, and certainly don't want to go back. It is only one more year, it is only one more year, it is only one more year....
5 weeks to go until I finish my course, then it's the TRA and then visa application........ fingers crossed all will go well. Getting a bit nervous now tho!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ohhhh exciting! What course have you been doing? Make sure you come back and tell us how it went, and what sort of things TRA want.
And GOOD LUCK!!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

gagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandyp
I think your right. . there have been quite a lot of posts/threads from people studying over here, but not that many from people who have actually got the 'golden ticket' at the end.

Hopefully these threads/posts will come along soon. . .

Thats hubbies first year almost over, he finishes up in a couple of weeks. One year down. . .one more to go!! By Christmas, he'll have his 900 TRA hours too, so all good!!

We feel very settled here. . .and very happy. It's been a very quick first year.

Good luck all!!
Mandy

What course is your oh doing?

That is one of the main things that worries us, the 900hrs finding then completing within the two years. Is the graduation visa only for those who complete higher level courses?

There are a lot of downside to the study option but a lot more positives in my opinion. We get one chance a this journey we call life, so why not have as many experiences as possible. no point in wasting a lifetime in the cold climate of the uk (sorry got a little deep there, but you know what I mean)

My downside is the waiting to save as much money as possible, saving enough to pay for course in full and one years rent plus just a little extra, hopefully this will help us by. Get off plane drop bags and find work!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

What course is your oh doing?

That is one of the main things that worries us, the 900hrs finding then completing within the two years. Is the graduation visa only for those who complete higher level courses?

There are a lot of downside to the study option but a lot more positives in my opinion. We get one chance a this journey we call life, so why not have as many experiences as possible. no point in wasting a lifetime in the cold climate of the uk (sorry got a little deep there, but you know what I mean)

My downside is the waiting to save as much money as possible, saving enough to pay for course in full and one years rent plus just a little extra, hopefully this will help us by. Get off plane drop bags and find work!
Hiya,

Yeah same thoughts as us when we decided to go for the student option and at this point. . .soooo glad that we did!!

Hubbie is studying Cabinet Making and got work without any problem from day one (well as soon as the course had started). Many on his course however, have struggled to get work. We chose the Cabinet Making though as hubbie had a lot of experience in similar kind of work, and this has probably made the difference. The place he's working at would love to have him full time, but he's goong to stick out the course and there will be a job there when he finishes.

The graduate visa is an option for those who do not have enough points to apply for PR (i.e. if on completion of the course you have less than 120 points for an independant skilled visa), I think everyone finishes up with over the 100 points though, which means a sponsored PR (i.e. family or state) visa is an option without having to go on the graduate visa.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:54 am
welshoz

welshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to allwelshoz is a name known to all

Hey all,

Just to add a positive spin on things, I finished my hairdressing course, and passed ielts, so had enough points to apply for p.r straight away. I found TRA eay to deal with, mine only took 4 days to come back with a positive result.

Now 8 months later o.k im still waiting for p.r but am living in one of the most beautiful places (in my view) the world, Noosa. We are very happy and settled and all that hard work feels like another lifetime.

If anyone needs any help or advice pm me i'll try to help in anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.