Student visa to sponsored visa

Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough
Default Student visa to sponsored visa

OK, firstly I make no apologies for asking here before researching this for ourselves! We need some guidance if anyone can help.

We are here on my student visa.

My wife has a part-time job which has grown and grown. They are wanting her to increase her hours (currently she can't) and increase her responsibilities and take on junior staff below her.

Her work know about the student visa restrictions of 20 hours per week and always have done.

They've approached her about sponsoring her so she can then increase her hours and then responsibilities. At the moment she has quite a technical admin position (can't go into too much detail on an open fourm).

Her work are going to look into see if her being sponsored is an option but I need to look at how this will effect us in the long run. I want to continue with my studies and finish my course but does anyone know how the employer sponsorship thing works? As I say, we've no clue and will start looking now.

Do you think this needs an agent to look at? I'd rather not if I can manage myself...funds and all that!

Thanks for any guidance you can give us.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student visa to sponsored visa

Originally Posted by eeksy
OK, firstly I make no apologies for asking here before researching this for ourselves! We need some guidance if anyone can help.

We are here on my student visa.

My wife has a part-time job which has grown and grown. They are wanting her to increase her hours (currently she can't) and increase her responsibilities and take on junior staff below her.

Her work know about the student visa restrictions of 20 hours per week and always have done.

They've approached her about sponsoring her so she can then increase her hours and then responsibilities. At the moment she has quite a technical admin position (can't go into too much detail on an open fourm).

Her work are going to look into see if her being sponsored is an option but I need to look at how this will effect us in the long run. I want to continue with my studies and finish my course but does anyone know how the employer sponsorship thing works? As I say, we've no clue and will start looking now.

Do you think this needs an agent to look at? I'd rather not if I can manage myself...funds and all that!

Thanks for any guidance you can give us.
What kind of visa are they planning to sponsor her on? If it's a 457 then it's a temporary visa. If they are planning to sponsor her for PR then it's just that; permanent residency which means lots of advantages for you both. Lower school fees for you, Medicare entitlement, etc.

The answer to your question really depends on what type of visa they are looking at.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly see an agent to see if it is even an option. Hubbie's work place would sponsor him in a shot, but his job is not on the skills list. I also had a work place try to sponsor me, but apprently my job did not fit the one on the skills list closely enough, so we have had to stay on the student visa (just found out today that I passed my course YAY).

Good luck, but really, it is not easy to get sponsored for just any job...
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

They really want to sponsor her but Admin is not on the skills list so it's a no go.

Thanks for responding though.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeksy
They really want to sponsor her but Admin is not on the skills list so it's a no go.

Thanks for responding though.
They should speak to an agent so they can explore some of the other occupations which may be on the list. It's possible that her job could fit into another code.