student visa - pros and cons

Old May 7th 2008, 7:53 pm
ARGH! TRA Pathway D!

Joosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura about
Question student visa - pros and cons

We're caught up in Pathway D (basically the Aussie Govt decided not to let skilled people in unless they have qualifications - won't accept experience alone)... I've been trying to explore other options and mentioned trying a student visa to my agent - he said we really don't want to go down that route and it would really be a last resort.

Why?

OH is a plasterer, I'm an interpreter, either one of us would be willing to (re)study our trades in Australia, he's 32 and I'm 29 (and we've got a baby).

So what's the deal with student visas? How long do they last? If the visa was in my name, would there be restrictions on OH working, or on me working? What's the likelihood of being granted PR at the end of the visa and how long is the student visa in the first place? What about rights to medicare/schooling etc?

I know some of the answers are probably on immi.gov but I'm quite interested in opinions and experiences from people who've "been there, done that" and how it really works in real life, and not just official info on a webpage.

Thanks all! xx
Old May 7th 2008, 9:50 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visa - pros and cons

Originally Posted by Joosy
We're caught up in Pathway D (basically the Aussie Govt decided not to let skilled people in unless they have qualifications - won't accept experience alone)... I've been trying to explore other options and mentioned trying a student visa to my agent - he said we really don't want to go down that route and it would really be a last resort.

Why?

OH is a plasterer, I'm an interpreter, either one of us would be willing to (re)study our trades in Australia, he's 32 and I'm 29 (and we've got a baby).

So what's the deal with student visas? How long do they last? If the visa was in my name, would there be restrictions on OH working, or on me working? What's the likelihood of being granted PR at the end of the visa and how long is the student visa in the first place? What about rights to medicare/schooling etc?

I know some of the answers are probably on immi.gov but I'm quite interested in opinions and experiences from people who've "been there, done that" and how it really works in real life, and not just official info on a webpage.

Thanks all! xx
Check out the poster paul&nic. he has just got PR after going down the student path and a very interesting path it was as well.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:49 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Basically student route to PR is complicated and expensive - you move to Australia in the hope of staying but there are no guarentees - that's probably why they said it was a last resort. But it worked for me!

To answer your questions;

1. They last as long as your course lasts (you apply and are accepted on your course before you get the student visa) plus a few weeks at the end.

2. The primary applicant and all dependents are restricted to 20 hours per week only - unless you study a Masters or Higher Research Degree course. The primary applicant can work full-time in holidays only.

3. Likelihood of being granted PR - who knows! Rules can change. It's a gamble.

4. You have no rights to medicare - you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover for the entire duration fo your visa.

Download and read the booklet (5 I think) from the www.immi.gov.au webpage.

And then ask more questions!

PS. Are you sure you don't get enough points as a translator?

Skill: Interpreter (2529-13) 60 points or Translator (2529-15) 60 points
English: 25 (assuming you pass the IELTS)
Work Experience: you haven't said
Community Language: 5

Total: 120 - but I don't know if you'd pass the work experience requirement - it's something to consider though!

Enough for regional sponsored (100 points) anyway - again not sure about work exp requirement.
Depends if you want to work or stay home with the baby for a bit.

Good luck!
Old May 8th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road

Hi, we're going down this route too.

I'm a Fireman (34) and OH is a Licensed Conveyancer (24).

We don't have the neccesary points to get in any other way and even though it's expensive, at least it's an option.

Even if it doesn't all work out in the end, we are happy to just get over to Oz, enjoy the experience and hopefully try to get PR at the end of it.

We just thought we'd never know if we didn't give it a try. We leave in 4 weeks.

Old May 8th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by GaznEm
Hi, we're going down this route too.

I'm a Fireman (34) and OH is a Licensed Conveyancer (24).

We don't have the neccesary points to get in any other way and even though it's expensive, at least it's an option.

Even if it doesn't all work out in the end, we are happy to just get over to Oz, enjoy the experience and hopefully try to get PR at the end of it.

We just thought we'd never know if we didn't give it a try. We leave in 4 weeks.

wow good luck. How did you choose what course to do?

It's such a gamble, what will be on th MODL in 2/3 yrs time and what won't. Some of the courses don't appeal atall, so hubby will probably do one in a trade skill ie. bricklaying, plumbing etc etc...... I don't fancy hairdressing or pattiserrie!
Old May 8th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: student visa - pros and cons

I just had a look through the current MODL and chose a course that was relevant to something on there and that I could bear to do. I've chosen Boat Building, as it's something totally new and unknown. I've renovated a few houses etc over here in England, so didn't really want to spend 2 years doing something I can already do, but just don't have the Certificates to prove that I can do it.

My girlfriend only finished studying last year to become fully qualified over in England, so there was no way that she wanted to go straight back into studying, so we decided that I'd go over as the main applicant.

It's not an ideal route, and like I say, it's expensive, but C'est la Vie!!

Old May 11th 2008, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

yogibear1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GaznEm
I just had a look through the current MODL and chose a course that was relevant to something on there and that I could bear to do. I've chosen Boat Building, as it's something totally new and unknown. I've renovated a few houses etc over here in England, so didn't really want to spend 2 years doing something I can already do, but just don't have the Certificates to prove that I can do it.

My girlfriend only finished studying last year to become fully qualified over in England, so there was no way that she wanted to go straight back into studying, so we decided that I'd go over as the main applicant.

It's not an ideal route, and like I say, it's expensive, but C'est la Vie!!

Please read

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...59#post6334859

J
Old May 11th 2008, 2:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You need a lot of money behind you if you go the student route. Remember no one in your family will be able to work more than 20 hours a week in term time and most part time, temp jobs like a minimum of 25 hours a week. What jobs you can get will only pay around $18 an hour. Also bear in mind that once you complete the course, you go on a bridging visa and could be on that for a good 6 - 8 months. In that time you can work full time but it would be casual not permanent.

You need to be able to afford rent, car, food, school bills etc etc with what you bring out and you still have no guarantee of PR at the end of it so would have to go back possibly penniless.

People do it, and get PE and all is dandy, Paul of PaulandNic won't mind me saying has struggled, and DIAC took ages to process their PR. Wonderful news that they have finally got it but they've been to hell and back in the meantime. He had to go back to the UK for a month to earn money to see them through the following few months.

However, if you can afford it, and it's your only route then the very best of luck to you