Student Visa - Proof of Funds

Old May 3rd 2012, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa - Proof of Funds

Hello

I hope someone might be able to help me with this as I've been staring in disbelief at the computer for a while now!

So, my sister has applied to Murdoch University in Perth, she wants to come over and do Environmental Science starting in July 2012. She's had her offer accepted and now is at the accepting it stage.

I've been looking into the student visa for her (and my parents who are funding this) and I've come across the requirement which states you need to prove you've got 24 months of funds in your account in the three months proir to the visa application. Now this amounts to $78,000 - of which my sister nor my parents most certainly do not have! They were planning on setting aside an amount each month to pay for the next semester's fees (having already got the first semesters saved up). My sister was also planning on working part-time to fund her living costs whilst she's out here, and she'll be living with either me or our brother, so costs wont be massive.

So I guess my question is - is this the end of the road if they don't have the proof of funds?
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa - Proof of Funds

Back when I applied they said you needed a certain amount of money, but if you weren't from a high risk country you didn't have to prove funds.
There were people on my course who couldn't find part time work, so be prepared for that possibility.

Good luck
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thanks Pumpkin!

We're prepared to support her if she can't work, but hopefully there will be something, my brothers fiancé works for a recruitment agency so that will hopefully help!

It will just be a good start for her we think, she's a bit of a lost sheep with no direction at the moment!
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to double check, a lot of things have changed since I applied. I would guess there must be some way of explaining the situation to them.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:11 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

What is her nationality? University candidates will be assessed as AL1 for higher education meaning no need to show funds....in theory... however, visa officers have been known to ask for funds.... whole student visas system is in a massive state of change....
Old May 8th 2012, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

She's English so coming from the UK. She's just starting the visa application now, so will see what it throws up!
Old May 8th 2012, 10:04 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Should be ok re. funds, but visa officers (think all AL1/online done in Perth) now have to be certain that candidate is a genuine student (easy enough), but then the tricky bit, genuine temporary entrant, i.e. no risk of applying for PR (even though legal) and will return home after study.
Old May 9th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Well, was alot simpler than we thought it would be.

She applied online last night and had it approved a couple of hours later. No documents to upload, no proof to show and no medicals!
Old May 9th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow, that is good. Everyone had to have the medicals back when I applied.