student visa to PR help!!

Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

tichg1 is on a distinguished road
Default student visa to PR help!!

Hi all,
just wondered if anybody could help!
after the sept 1st new rules i was just wondering how i stood i have looked at immigration website and got a bit of info but i just wanted to confirm what i think!

after completing my 2 year studies in australia it states you need 18mths experiance is this still so if i have a relative that sponsors me?
would it be the skilled visa 176.
my qual is currently 60 points although i know anything can change!

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visa to PR help!!

Originally Posted by tichg1
Hi all,
just wondered if anybody could help!
after the sept 1st new rules i was just wondering how i stood i have looked at immigration website and got a bit of info but i just wanted to confirm what i think!

after completing my 2 year studies in australia it states you need 18mths experiance is this still so if i have a relative that sponsors me?
would it be the skilled visa 176.
my qual is currently 60 points although i know anything can change!

Thanks in advance

The 18 month Temporary Graduate visa is for those students who have completed their course and have applied for a skills assessment (which has to be approved before the 18 month visa is granted) and do not achieve the pass-mark for their visa subclass. Getting the 18 months visa gives them a chance to increase their points score by either working in their skilled occupation for 12 months and scoring them 15 MODL points and/or 10 Australian Work Experience points. The extra time could also be used to improve IELTS score for increased English points.

If you have a relative to sponsor and a successful 60 point assessment, you need to score 100 points - 60 for Skills, 5 for 2 year course, 15 for English - so as long as you are under 40 years of age when yo uapply, you should be OK to immediately apply for the permanent visa in Australia within 6 months of completing your course. So your main concern should be whether TRA will assess your claimed 900 hours experience as meeting their requirements for a pathway E approval.

I presume the visa you would apply for would be the graduate on-shore version of the 176 visa - the 886 visa. Engage George Lombard to handle your case as any slip up with these on-shore graduate visas can be disasterous.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

tichg1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony

many thanks for your detailed reply it's made things a whole lot clearer. will definatley be getting an agent on the case, dont want to be making any mistakes on this one!!

thanks again
Debbie
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshtony
The 18 month Temporary Graduate visa is for those students who have completed their course and have applied for a skills assessment (which has to be approved before the 18 month visa is granted) and do not achieve the pass-mark for their visa subclass. Getting the 18 months visa gives them a chance to increase their points score by either working in their skilled occupation for 12 months and scoring them 15 MODL points and/or 10 Australian Work Experience points. The extra time could also be used to improve IELTS score for increased English points.

If you have a relative to sponsor and a successful 60 point assessment, you need to score 100 points - 60 for Skills, 5 for 2 year course, 15 for English - so as long as you are under 40 years of age when yo uapply, you should be OK to immediately apply for the permanent visa in Australia within 6 months of completing your course. So your main concern should be whether TRA will assess your claimed 900 hours experience as meeting their requirements for a pathway E approval.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
I just wanted to check something with you Tony. I'm sure I read on the immigration website that you only have to have applied to the TRA to get this visa, as you then need to get the 900 hours of work experiance before it is then approved. I have done hours and hours of reading but I'm pretty sure that was on the immigration website.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I just wanted to check something with you Tony. I'm sure I read on the immigration website that you only have to have applied to the TRA to get this visa, as you then need to get the 900 hours of work experiance before it is then approved. I have done hours and hours of reading but I'm pretty sure that was on the immigration website.
TRA will not approve without the 900 hours. You must apply for the temp Grad or the GSM visa within 6 months of the course completion. So you have a further 6 months max, to gain the 900 hours, lodge the TRA and then apply for the Temp Grad or GSM visa - assuming your Student visa is still valid.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I'm really confused now. I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. I think you are saying you can't get the temp visa until you have the work experiance.

According to the immigration web site : At the time you apply for this visa, you must meet all of the following requirements: you have applied to a relevant assessing authority for a skills assessment for your nominated occupation.
I can't at the moment find where I was reading that you had 6 months from the course if you had applied to TRA to get the work experiance. (hubbie keeps deleting all my links as he thinks I have too many).

So what visa do people go on to get the 900 hours of work experiance if it is not that one?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Right, I'm really confused now. I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. I think you are saying you can't get the temp visa until you have the work experiance.

According to the immigration web site : At the time you apply for this visa, you must meet all of the following requirements: you have applied to a relevant assessing authority for a skills assessment for your nominated occupation.
I can't at the moment find where I was reading that you had 6 months from the course if you had applied to TRA to get the work experiance. (hubbie keeps deleting all my links as he thinks I have too many).

So what visa do people go on to get the 900 hours of work experiance if it is not that one?
The 900 hours work experience needs to be gained either while on the Student visa, during and/or after the course but within 6 months of completing the 2 years course. If the student visa runs out before the 6 month period after the course, you will need to get the 900 hours done before.

There is a possibility that you can lodge the TRA without the 900 hours, it will get refused. this allows you to apply for the temporary graduate visa, you can then re-apply for TRA when you get the 900 hours up provided DIAC have not found out about your refusal and then refused your temp grad application. Very risky to do this way but, some will have no choice but to try this.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896