Student Visa and plane tickets

Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:33 am
Just Joined

vicvega1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa and plane tickets

Hi all.

I start my commercial cookery course in Perth this July and I'm still in the UK! I plan to fly out the week before the course starts and was wondering if anybody had experienced any trouble at immigration with a one-way ticket. I can't see the point of booking a return ticket but just wanted to know if anthing had been said regarding a return ticket to any other people going out on a student visa.

Anyone else starting the Hospitality Management course in Perth this July? I'm going to be at the Joondalup campus.

Look forward to your responses.

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Student Visa and plane tickets

when i went to oz on my whv in 2003 i had a 1 way ticket and i just got asked a few questions like where was i staying and when do i plan to return to the uk then they just let me go.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vicvega1978
Hi all.

I start my commercial cookery course in Perth this July and I'm still in the UK! I plan to fly out the week before the course starts and was wondering if anybody had experienced any trouble at immigration with a one-way ticket. I can't see the point of booking a return ticket but just wanted to know if anthing had been said regarding a return ticket to any other people going out on a student visa.

Anyone else starting the Hospitality Management course in Perth this July? I'm going to be at the Joondalup campus.

Look forward to your responses.

Cheers
Hey

You're as bad as me, I started at TAFE 2 weeks after I arrived, bit hectic but I did have a hubby and 2 kids in tow, no problem with one way ticket, they just asked me what I was doing and where I was staying, really friendly actually. I am doing welfare work at the same place, so if you need any help, let me know.

Good luck and safe journey!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived on a one way ticket on the Saturday, and started my course on the Monday. We had no problem at all, infact we probably told the immigration person all about our course etc before they got a chance to ask us anything lol.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough

sorry to take over this thread but how much does your courses cost?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Course fees vary quite a bit. The cheapest are about $9k per year. What sort of course were you after?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cathy Makin
Hey

You're as bad as me, I started at TAFE 2 weeks after I arrived, bit hectic but I did have a hubby and 2 kids in tow, no problem with one way ticket, they just asked me what I was doing and where I was staying, really friendly actually. I am doing welfare work at the same place, so if you need any help, let me know.

Good luck and safe journey!
hi i was just wondering how you are doing on the welfare course. i am looking at doing it next year but am still not 100%, your input would be really valuable as i seem to be going around in circles!!!!!Did you have previous experience before you enrolled on the course. BFN TINA
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Hi there

I have completed my cert 3 & 4 and will start the diploma in 2 weeks, I have throughly enjoyed it so far. Yes it was hard initially getting back into studying but I think that would have been difficult whatever course I did.
I did have a little experience in that I worked with children before hand, but I was really interested in this type of work and I think that has helped me HEAPS.

As already said on here, I think it is of vital importance that you study something you are geniunely interested in or it could be a very long 2 years, for me it has flown, I have been lucky enough to find part time work also in this field, which a lot of students have.

Which Tafe are you going to? I can thoroughly recommend West Coast Tafe in Perth, the lecturers are fantastic! If you need any further help just let me know, happy to help.

X
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for info. how are you going about the 900 hours you have to do. we are looking a PR. i am looking at studying in brisbane, the course is 3 days tafe 1 day placement, but the more i keep reading the more i get confused.. i have family in oz which will help but am really worried about the money, having 2 kids and hubby will only be able to work 20 hrs.. how have you coped, we know its a risk but reading some threads about gaing PR cos welfare work isnt on MODL list. i would only need 100 points so should be able to have enough but am still really worried......if you could let me know if your situation is similiar ( kids etc) and another minus is that i am 40 so time is bobbing on...