British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Student Visa - Medicals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/student-visa-medicals-481211/)

stumpysean May 20th 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Originally Posted by Scarlett1 (Post 6370709)
do you have a link for the job list for the 457, please :)

have a look at this...........
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ccupations.pdf

gives you an idea.:)

Becky

bound4brissy May 21st 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6370544)
When do you start your course? Is it July? You say you're studying in Brisbane, at what college?

I've been looking all over, but decided on the sunshine coast as we have friends there.

Just need to get house on market now, then the ball's really rolling!

What age do the kids move to high school? I'm a bit confused about what year they'll be in. My eldest is 10 now (birthday in Feb), youngest is 8 next month?

Any info appreciated!

Im going to Brisbane School of Hairdressing doing Cert III in Hairdressing and Diploma in salon mgt - starting on 21st of July.

The school year is end of Jan to mid December and age cut off is 1st of July for ages. It also depends when you go really but from every situation your child needs to repeat some school work as they need to complete every year. eg you couldnt go straight into year 7 without completing all of year 6 in the uk and you cant join a year mid way through if you havent started that year in the uk. Check out 3 months in Brissy thread - its explained really well there. Both my children will do an extra 6 months (july to December) in year 3 and 7 and they will have completed P3 and P7 here in the uk. Our kids are similar ages as my daughter was 8 in March - she will go into p3 again for 6 months.

I hope that makes sense!!

They work it out in line with what is best for the kids and from a social point of view I think repeating a few months is ok. You should contact Queensland Education dept - they will give you specifics about you own kids in line with their ages and are very helpful..

Originally Posted by mandyp (Post 6370571)
How exciting Yvonne, yikes!!

We flew over with singapore, BA from Glasgow to heathrow. Great flights no hassles.

The info bout the meets are in the meet ups forum, i'm no good at doing the links!!LOL

And yeah, nothing ventured. . . .

Chers
Mandy

Same flight then! We have a transit stop in Singapore for 6 hours and Ive booked a 6 hour hotel so we can be horizontal for a bit and have a shower.

The 20k baggage allowance is a nightmare though :eek:- I did try and get the double baggage but they were having none of it!! Will need to do a serious clear out of the kids clothes to make room for mine...lol!!

Yvonne x

mandyp May 21st 2008 11:39 am

We did the night flight n just a 2 hour stop in Singapore. The baggage thing is pretty crap, tho all our bags were bout 23k n a really didn't leave much behind. We've just asked for people to bring something when they come over!!

You must be sooo excited such a total buzz, enjoy every minute!!

Mandy

bound4brissy May 21st 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mandyp (Post 6374998)
We did the night flight n just a 2 hour stop in Singapore. The baggage thing is pretty crap, tho all our bags were bout 23k n a really didn't leave much behind. We've just asked for people to bring something when they come over!!

You must be sooo excited such a total buzz, enjoy every minute!!

Mandy

So were they 23k each? If so did you have to pay extra? If not I might try and squeeze a couple of kilos extra too!

mandyp May 21st 2008 9:03 pm

No didn't pay any extra, really think it'll depend on who's on the desk, really nice girl who didn't bat an eye!

Mandy

bound4brissy May 29th 2008 11:07 am

Hi Mandy

How are things going down under? :D

We have just booked a holiday unit for 3 weeks for when we arrive on 2/7 - might change to 2 weeks as hope to rent a house pretty quick. The unit is up in Redcliffe north brisbane so we can chill and have a holiday while we are there - its right on the beach etc and I think the kids will need a bit of a summer holiday (they are feeling a bit cheated that they have to start back school in July!!!):lol:

Anyway hope you guys are all well and enjoying jobs college and general life in the Gold Coast etc etc etc..

xxxx

mandyp May 29th 2008 10:18 pm

Hi Yvonne,

All going great thanx, been a good week!! Hubbie landed a new job much better $$$!! We joined the gym too, only been twice but feel so much better already. We used to go a lot before we came over n haven't really done much since we've been here (the odd run n workout in the garage) so av put on over a stone!!

Weather hasn't been great last few days, cold n rainy, reminds us of Glasgow!!

Thats good that you got a holiday rental sorted! We did the same, 2 weeks at mermaid beach, it was fab n still one of our favourite places here!! Logan now n again will say she wants to go back to live at mermaid beach!

Is time going really slowly for you just now, bet you guys can't wait to get over!

Mandy

stumpysean May 30th 2008 8:06 am

Hi, just a quick update for you!

Have decided to do the Welfare Course at Nambour. Booked in for July next year, planning on flying out end May time.

However, there may be a chance of sponsorship on the horizon too. Hubby is in talks with someone who may be interested in sponsoring him, and when we spoke to our migration agent in Brisbane the other night, I mentioned that I was qualified in childcare already and he stopped me in mid sentence saying he knows somebody looking for childcare workers and is willing to sponsor for 457's!

So we're a bit in limbo at the moment on what way we're going but thought we'd keep the course booked so if nothing happens about the sponsorship I can still go over on a student visa.

House is now on market, so we're actually getting somewhere!!!!

:)

bound4brissy May 30th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mandyp (Post 6411459)
Hi Yvonne,

All going great thanx, been a good week!! Hubbie landed a new job much better $$$!! We joined the gym too, only been twice but feel so much better already. We used to go a lot before we came over n haven't really done much since we've been here (the odd run n workout in the garage) so av put on over a stone!!

Weather hasn't been great last few days, cold n rainy, reminds us of Glasgow!!

Thats good that you got a holiday rental sorted! We did the same, 2 weeks at mermaid beach, it was fab n still one of our favourite places here!! Logan now n again will say she wants to go back to live at mermaid beach!

Is time going really slowly for you just now, bet you guys can't wait to get over!

Mandy

Totally - Im on a total high ALL the time - got a night out tonight and tomorrow night - infact we have nights out planned for the next 4 weeks... think we will be exhausted when we arrive:D...

Im also trying to fit in the gym as been a bit lax recently - but we are both still working full time along with all the kids stuff too....Im sure the next 4 weeks will fly by.

Great news about the job - wow - Im not sure how we will manage financially as I wont be able to work with my course as its 9-5 Mon to Fri - does he have less time at college? Was it easy to get 20 hours a week work?

Dunno what Jonny will do either - he just wants to surf :lol:

Ahh beach life...just cant wait.. Its raining here too today and there is a weather warning for down south... so you can be sure that whatever the weather is there....its worse here...!!

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6412616)
Hi, just a quick update for you!

Have decided to do the Welfare Course at Nambour. Booked in for July next year, planning on flying out end May time.

However, there may be a chance of sponsorship on the horizon too. Hubby is in talks with someone who may be interested in sponsoring him, and when we spoke to our migration agent in Brisbane the other night, I mentioned that I was qualified in childcare already and he stopped me in mid sentence saying he knows somebody looking for childcare workers and is willing to sponsor for 457's!

So we're a bit in limbo at the moment on what way we're going but thought we'd keep the course booked so if nothing happens about the sponsorship I can still go over on a student visa.

House is now on market, so we're actually getting somewhere!!!!

Fab - keep your options open but its looking quite positive on the 457 front - fingers crossed!!!:thumbsup:

I got an update the other day that they had REMOVED an occupation from the MODL. YIKES - I was so nervous it was hairdressing but luckily it was some IT job.... its the risk we take I suppose!! ;)

pumpkin blossom May 30th 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by stumpysean (Post 6412616)
we spoke to our migration agent in Brisbane the other night, I mentioned that I was qualified in childcare already and he stopped me in mid sentence saying he knows somebody looking for childcare workers and is willing to sponsor for 457's!

Just keep in mind that unless you have I think it is 5 years experiance of running a nursery (ie being the manager) with at least 20 children you can only get the regional 457 visa. Which if you are going somewhere regional is fine, but personally i would be insisting on the RSMS visa if you are in that position. Perminent residency straight away with that one.
Good luck

vivivio Jul 11th 2008 7:21 pm

I apply for a student visa at TAFE but the embassy request supplementary medical tests.
What should I do if my CoE expire in a day or two and I just send to embassy supplementary medical information requested by them?
Can I start now to change my educational provider (another school with same course but different date to start) or I wait the answer from the embassy?

southern-stars Jul 11th 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by vivivio (Post 6561414)
I apply for a student visa at TAFE but the embassy request supplementary medical tests.
What should I do if my CoE expire in a day or two and I just send to embassy supplementary medical information requested by them?
Can I start now to change my educational provider (another school with same course but different date to start) or I wait the answer from the embassy?

best to contact TAFE to explain situation and visit the embassy in person with the results of meds if possible I wouldnt start the course till approved:frown:

pumpkin blossom Jul 12th 2008 1:20 am

You might be better off asking your own question rather than asking this one numerous times on other threads. You have had other answers though on the other thread, so hopefully they will have helped calm you.