student visa

Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Question student visa

i a m hoping to go to goldcoast on a student visa with my family, but cant really decide what course to do. My options seem to be between hairdressing and hospitality (pastry chef and hospitality manager) none of these really appeal to me. Has anyone ever done any of these courses at goldcoast tafe. I am 40 so time is bobbing on, my OH is 48 so he is out of the equation. He is doing a plastering course so he can get work but he also has his HGV license to fall back on. Ww have family there to sponsor us when we apply for PR so thats a bonus... please help!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: student visa

Hi, these courses didn't appeal to me either! So I've decided to do Welfare Work at Nambour TAFE on the Sunshine Coast starting in July 09. This gives us time to sell the house etc.....

I am already a trained childcare worker and have fostered for 10yrs so at least i'm studying something that i'm familiar with.

It's so difficult deciding what course to do, you've got to do something you're interested in otherwise i think you'll find it difficult.

Good luck with your decision!

Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

hi ive t been on to a guy called stefan who recommended that course to me in brisbane. i havent got any prior certificates but so i dont know if they would accept me. we want to live near my sisters on the goldcoast so it would mean travelling... i would be starting july 09 too. have you found any info on the course yet.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, yes I've found some info on the course.........

see this link http://www.sunshinecoast.tafe.qld.go...ourseid=13&p=3

Have a read through this and it should give you a bit more info.

As I said before, I'm booked to do this course next July 09. We're planning on going out last week of May once the kids break up for half term.

Keep me posted on what you decide to do, it will be nice to keep in touch with people planning on doing the same thing!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info...just about to have a read. i dont know where to start, there may be someone interested in the house before it even goes on the market so thats good news!!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

great! We put ours on a few weeks ago so we're not ina mad panic after xmas!

Where abouts are you from? My hubby has his HGV too, used to be a long distance lorry driver when we first got married. Unfortunately we looked at sponsorship via this but to no avail!

He's still hoping to secure a sponsor through a 457, but just in case this doesn't happen, I'll carry on with the Welfare course.

Is this the course you have decided to do then? I kept changing my mind too!!!

Anyway, happy reading................
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

yes i think i am definately going to do the welfare course. Did you apply online.. stefan is emailing me an application form, the only downside is that i will have to get the train to bisbane because goldcoast do the course but not for international student( seems weird being called international) I am from stockport just outside of manchester, i have two daughters age 15 and 9and a hubby aged 48!!!! I have two sisters on the goldcoast, one has been there for 25 years and one for 4 years and they have such a great life. I cant wait to gt registered and get the ball rolling. Have you registered your kids in school yet, my eldest is refusing to do year 11 and 12 there after all she will have just finished her GCSES so i will have to look at a course at tafe for her.... anyways keep in touch.... bye
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi, where are you actually looking to live? We will probably live in or around Nambour itself as it's cheaper rentals and also we want to try and get by with just one car whilst i'm studying. Nambour is about 1hr from Brisbane, although it has the train line for Brisbane.

You could think about living closer to the college just while you complete the course, then move nearer your sisters once you have PR. Travelling to Brisbane everyday on the train will cost you a fortune!

Are you aware that you also have to pay school fees for the kids whilst you are on the student visa? This will be a killer, but it is our only option so its what we will have to do!

I applied for the course via Stefan, filled in the forms etc, he's put my name down for the course. I have got to pay 1st installment of fees in Dec along with my student health cover (which is compulsory). You can't actually apply for the student visa itself until 4 months before the course starts, so for us it will be March/April time.

BFN
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

hi i actually wanted to live on the goldcoast near my sisters but i will have to look at that, i just need to make a definate move by registering on the course. Did stefan email the form, he said he would but it hasnt came through yet. I know paying for the kids will be expensive but its the only way we can get to oz as time is running out age wise. Do you know anything about the 200 hrs you have to do. At least its not 900 like hairdressing!!!!! Its so frustrating when you just want to get on with it... There are quite a few tafes in brisbane so i dont know which one stefan was looking at but one of them only does february intakes.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anitblue
hi i actually wanted to live on the goldcoast near my sisters but i will have to look at that, i just need to make a definate move by registering on the course. Did stefan email the form, he said he would but it hasnt came through yet. I know paying for the kids will be expensive but its the only way we can get to oz as time is running out age wise. Do you know anything about the 200 hrs you have to do. At least its not 900 like hairdressing!!!!! Its so frustrating when you just want to get on with it... There are quite a few tafes in brisbane so i dont know which one stefan was looking at but one of them only does february intakes.

Yes, that's the trouble with the courses on the Gold coast and in Brisbane, most of them only enrol in Feb.

The other issue you mentioned was the 900hrs.........you DO need to do 900hrs either during the course or after it to go for PR. If you haven't managed to do the 900hrs during the course you then go on to a 'bridging visa' for up to 18mths to gain these hrs.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

i read that it was only 200 hrs on the welfare course,i also read that if you have a family sponsor that you do not need to do the 12 months experience (to gain hours) its all sooo confusing...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

i read that it was only 200 hrs on the welfare course,i also read that if you have a family sponsor that you do not need to do the 12 months experience (to gain hours) its all sooo confusing...
Hi, yes the 200 hrs is needed to complete the course but you then need 900hrs for immigrationn to apply for PR. I'm not sure about family sponsor's etc, it depends on how many points you require due to age, job etc....

It is confusing isn't it, i've been reading stuff for months now! There's quite a few threads on here about student visas, do a search and they should all come up.

Just been out with kids to cinema so exhausted now, off to bed!

BFN
Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

i understand it now, becauses i will only need 100 points because of family sponsor i should meet the criteria, therefore do not need the 900 hours!!! Thankgod... Really confusing, but then again by the time the course finishes it could all be different again!!!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice

i understand it now, becauses i will only need 100 points because of family sponsor i should meet the criteria, therefore do not need the 900 hours!!! Thankgod... Really confusing, but then again by the time the course finishes it could all be different again!!!
sorry but you do need the 900 hours. My manager Robyn has explained all this to me, she said that on her course you usually reach the 900 hours work experience between 13 and 18 months into the course then you can apply for your tra assessment,

sorry but just thought I would let you know, this is for hairdressing,

also, my sister will be sponsoring us also but you still need the 900 hours regardless

Sharon
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You will not get ANY points for your occupation until you have done the 900 hours of work experiance, so you would not have 100 points without it. According to TRA this can be during or after the course has finished.
Sorry, we all have to do it I'm affraid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.